Center diff still light out. Changed out switch on transfer case (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

imperium

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all

Have an '04 LC and the center diff light on the dashboard does not illuminate when the diff is locked. I know the diff locks because I can hear and feel it actuating, but the light will not come on on the dash. I've gone through some threads and it seems unlikely that the bulb is out, but I'm wondering what else it could be?

I changed out the center diff lock/transfer case switch from this thread today and no dice. The diff lock still actuates, but still no light on the dash.

I'll also throw in there that the diff does not lock automatically when I put it in low range and the VSC off light does not illuminate when the diff is locked or when I switch to low range. Also from my reading into this, the diff lock light is not supposed to illuminate when you turn the key to accessory mode. Every other light on the dash does except this one.

There was someone in that thread that drove around in figure 8s for a few minutes until their light came on, so maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow if I can find somewhere to do it.

Did you test the switch?
I did not test the switch itself before installing it. I figured the chances of being sent a dud were low, though it is possible.

How would I go about testing it? Applying voltage? If so, unfortunately for me I don't have any equipment for that.

I haven't tested my switch yet that I bought. But I think maybe it'll be a simple switch design (i.e. when the circle thing is pressed in, the two electrical contacts will create a Short, and when it's not pressed in it'll be an open circuit. A simple Voltmeter has a beepy function for that.

Have an '04 LC and the center diff light on the dashboard does not illuminate when the diff is locked. I know the diff locks because I can hear and feel it actuating, but the light will not come on on the dash.
Are you sure it is locked? Any change in driving behavior?

There was someone in that thread that drove around in figure 8s for a few minutes until their light came on, so maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow if I can find somewhere to do it.
No benefit in doing this if your diff is locked already.

Are you sure it is locked? Any change in driving behavior?
100% sure. I've tried it in a gravel driveway and very briefly in a parking lot. I can hear the relay click and the diff lock engage under the car. Also the steering gets heavier.

I recall there are three switches, on the transfer case. The one that was mention to replace in articles around ih8mud is the one that is at 11o'clock when looking from the front of the car at the transfer case. Was wondering which one you replaced?

100% sure. I've tried it in a gravel driveway and very briefly in a parking lot. I can hear the relay click and the diff lock engage under the car. Also the steering gets heavier.
In that case, disconnect electrical connector to the switch, and use a paperclip or jumper to short the 2 wires on the connector (harness) side. Center diff lock light should be illuminated with diff locked. Replace the switch if diff lock light is illuminated.

I recall there are three switches, on the transfer case. The one that was mention to replace in articles around ih8mud is the one that is at 11o'clock when looking from the front of the car at the transfer case. Was wondering which one you replaced?
The one you're describing is the one I replaced. But now thinking I might need to replace the others if the switch I did replace is actually good.

In that case, disconnect electrical connector to the switch, and use a paperclip or jumper to short the 2 wires on the connector (harness) side. Center diff lock light should be illuminated with diff locked. Replace the switch if diff lock light is illuminated.
Will give that a shot. Heading out of town for work for the week but will try as soon as I'm back. Want to get this working!

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom