Driving a HZJ73 across the country (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like we are not too far away from each other, ever do any of the events? Relic Run, 70s meet up, GSMTR, Solid Axle Summit?
P.M. sent

A few days into the trip... finally have a little service and time.
816D0C6E-4010-4A05-AAD5-B974F6B99019.jpeg
CC1CD9F3-E811-4E80-ABD5-1341E5C11013.jpeg

Nice !

So how is the 1HZ on US roads ?

Not OP but I just drove my 1HZ from Dallas to Birmingham (13ish hours) and it was surprisingly solid. Averaged around 63mph (100-105kph) and got around 18.5 mpg on some really hard OEM 16s.

1HZ is smoother and quieter than expected. I think it is very adequate when paired with the HD leaf sprung 70series, if it was a coiled front end like an 80series I think it would pair nicely with a 2uz. I personally don’t think a lifted leaf sprung truck should be driven that fast. That being said I I’ve been cruising around 74mph on the highways, still not fast enough for driving out west where the speed limit is 80mph but like I said fast enough for the truck.

Alright back in Florida...

Now that I can sit down with an actual key board I can give a better trip report.

When we picked up the truck in Salt Lake City (elevation 4,200) the truck smoked pretty good under load, but ran well otherwise. After stopping a few places for supplies we headed into the mountains to the east of SLC for camping.

From there we spent days wondering across Utah and finally made it into Telluride CO(elevation 8,750) where the elevation finally got to the 1HZ. It started running rough like a petrol motor would with a bad ignition wire. We spent a few days in the area before heading to north east Colorado for a remainder of the trip. We had a few mountain passes to do that were above 11,000+ , as long as I kept it in 3rd at 3,000 rpms the passes were fine despite the "stumble" it had.

After a few thousand miles on the road the truck smoked less and less, by the time I got to Tennessee it didn't smoke at all. Mountain passes were fine with no smoke at similar elevation to SLC.

I have a feeling the truck hasn't been driven much over the last decade (65K on the clock) just from the uneven sun fade on the upholstery. I am guessing the motor had carbon build up that had been burned off from the thousands of miles driven over the past weeks???

I kept the cruising speed to 2400-2600 rpm (68-78mph) at 110kph on the speedo I am running 74mph from the 33" tires on the truck.

Just some observations...
  • 2500rpms felt unstrained
  • Almost felt like it needed a 6th gear on the highways
  • 3rd @ 3000rpms were fine for all mountain passes
  • I ran a diesel additive for the whole trip home, maybe it helped clean out the motor?
  • 1HZ feels smooth and for the most part very undiesel like when compared to the 3Bs and 13BTS I've been around
I have a laundry list of things to do just to get it in better shape, but that will come later...

Last edited:
Really pretty rig. Love the pics! Keep them coming.

Btw the 1HZ is pretty “cold blooded” as in the motor just seems to match whatever the temp is out side. Temp gauge lived in the bottom 1/4 to 1/8 in cooler temps and just below half when it was hot with the a/c cranked.

Also I’m pretty sure the bugs I hit in Kansas were filled with peanut butter and jelly.
35DED60E-B0BC-44BB-82FC-26BA7CA30EA8.jpeg
FAC8D931-E0A7-403B-8DAD-58CA6E1EDEC7.jpeg
43462A50-2DD2-4CB9-BF2F-1D894DFB116A.jpeg

662E9A1A-C50B-453B-B8FD-5A1A317329AD.jpeg

1HZ feels smooth and for the most part very undiesel like when compared to the 3Bs and 13BTS I've been around

The 1HZ is a much maligned engine because it doesn't meet some owners power expectations. The 1HZ does the job and rarely lets anyone down. If you look through the posts it is one of the most common diesels among MUD members, but its rare to have one that wont start or run correctly.
The 1HZ was designed partly for people who hadn't driven a diesel before.

The 1HZ is a much maligned engine because it doesn't meet some owners power expectations. The 1HZ does the job and rarely lets anyone down. If you look through the posts it is one of the most common diesels among MUD members, but its rare to have one that wont start or run correctly.
The 1HZ was designed partly for people who hadn't driven a diesel before.

I was honestly a little worried about owning a diesel being around the other 4cyl version but the 1HZ is nothing like them. Power seems very adequate for the 73series so no complaints here. I prefer reliability over performance anyway, not worrying about breaking down and just enjoying the adventure is paramount.:steer:

I don't know if the thermostat is missing but I will eventually check :D, It would only dip into the 1/8 mark during long down hill decent.

I’ve never driven a 1hz but can say that I am perfectly happy with the 13bt. It’s not a rocket ship but it’s no dog either.

I’d be very curious to drive a hzj73.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom