Driving a HZJ73 across the country (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well if all goes as planned I will be flying out to Utah and picking up a HZJ73 at Land Cruiser Direct. I plan on spending 3 weeks driving it back to Florida, most of the time will be spent wondering around Utah/Colorado then a turn a burn back to Florida. Hopefully will do a few of the mountain passes out of Ouray to add to the adventure a bit.

My first vehicle was a Land Cruiser and I had one ever since, but I have never owned a diesel variety so I am definitely in uncharted territory. Added to that I normally will spend weeks getting any of my past vehicles ready for cross country trips. So I am way out on a limb :facepalm:

1991 RHD Hzj73
~1HZ (naturally aspirated)
~H55
~FRP top
~24V
~Japan Import

I've spent hours reading through trouble shooting threads of problems with 1HZ. Ironically 2 of those threads where posting up "real time" for problems driving through Colorado at higher altitude. Which seemed to be alleviated when reducing to lower altitude, maybe running some of mountain passes might not be a wise choice?

• From what I have read it seems these can cruise at 70-74mph for hours with out problems, this still hold true?
  • Not a huge deal but will this have a 12v cigarette lighter I could charge my phone?
  • Never owing a diesel, do you have to pump the throttle a little bit like a carb'd truck when starting?
  • Will the temperature gauge fluctuate much while driving? It will be hot crossing the country and I will have the A/C on.
If there is any tips or anything else I should be looking out for please let me know.

Thanks again for all the help guys,
~Al :beer:

Well if all goes as planned I will be flying out to Utah and picking up a HZJ73 at Land Cruiser Direct. I plan on spending 3 weeks driving it back to Florida, most of the time will be spent wondering around Utah/Colorado then a turn a burn back to Florida. Hopefully will do a few of the mountain passes out of Ouray to add to the adventure a bit.

My first vehicle was a Land Cruiser and I had one ever since, but I have never owned a diesel variety so I am definitely in uncharted territory. Added to that I normally will spend weeks getting any of my past vehicles ready for cross country trips. So I am way out on a limb :facepalm:

1991 RHD Hzj73
~H55
~FRP top
~24V
~Japan Import

I've spent hours reading through trouble shooting threads of problems with 1HZ. Ironically 2 of those threads where posting up "real time" for problems driving through Colorado at higher altitude. Which seemed to be alleviated when reducing to lower altitude, maybe running some of mountain passes might not be a wise choice?

• From what I have read it seems these can cruise at 70-74mph for hours with out problems, this still hold true?

• Not a huge deal but will this have a 12v cigarette lighter I could charge my phone?
  • Never owing a diesel, do you have to pump the throttle a little bit like a carb'd truck when starting?
  • Will the temperature gauge fluctuate much while driving? It will be hot crossing the country and I will have the A/C on.
If there is any tips or anything else I should be looking out for please let me know.

If it's coming from Steve, I would have no real worries as he does a great job checking through these in my experience.

It will not likley have a 12VDC lighter plug. But, check your phone charger as most can take 24V in as they all convert to 5VDC for the most part anyways.

1991 RHD Hzj73
~H55
~FRP top
~24V
~Japan Import

1. Once it reaches 70mph, yes, it can do it for hours. Especially on flat terrain. :lol:
2. Get a charger that can do 24v. Most chargers are usually good up to 30V.
3. The hand throttle will be a turn knob. Turn just a bit to get revs up at cold start up only. Not needed at hot start up.
4. Yes, especially at elevation, especially with AC on, especially with high temps.

Go for it! All the diesel cruisers I’ve purchased have been driven home (all 5-10hr drives) with no issues. Altitude will definitely have an effect on a 1HZ, just take it easy over passes and enjoy the trip; sounds like fun!

An HZJ73 should do fine at 70+, though it will probably be happier staying around 70 or a little below.

Most cigarette lighter chargers work on a range of voltages from 12-24v, check yours but it should be fine.

Pumping the throttle on a diesel doesn’t do anything, since there are no jets or diaphragms like in a carb.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered the correct phone charger for the trip, I have T-mobile anyway so I should have service for like 10 miles anyway :D

Trying to do some loose trip planning now, Utah looks like its still cooking temperature wise so I might head to San Juan Mountain Range area sooner than originally planned.

If you guys have any tips for watching after 1HZ I am all ears, especially in the summer heat. How hot does the temperature gauge usually get?

Thanks again for all the advice...

Not to add to your “worry list” but the Toyota water temp gauges aren’t exactly know for their reliability.

Keep it below 70 and it will last longer. They were not designed for high speeds but can still take you a good distance in a day. Mountains will be ok, but choose a lower gear and keep to the right. Let the engine rev at 2500-2900 rpm to get lots of cool air through the engine.

The radiator hoses should get warm after about 5 mins of fast idle and go hard in about 15 mins or so from a cold start.

Ive always had good luck with the temp gauge. It should sit below halfway. Its main problem is it doesn't scream at you when your engine is over heating. If you are not having temp problems in the first 100 miles, you should be ok for the trip home.

Brakes will probably be crap unless the PO is on the ball.

They are utterly reliable vehicles with a bit of maintenance.

Buy a foam cushion to sit on.

II’ve done 2 trips from Texas to CO in my HZJ73 in the last year.

unbiased opinion:
you’ll lose 30% of your HP at higher elevation. Yes, you’ll go slow. Don’t think something is wrong necessarily, it’s normal.

I ordered A $40 Pyle brand 24v to 12v converter. It’s extremely easy. You have a power outlet under the hood attached to your air filter housing. Just being wires and hook it up to that. Hook it up to the + IGN terminal. Buy a 12v usb charger and hook it up to that. I actually Run a 12 fuse bus so if you want to go ahead and do that, go for it. you can keep it simple for the ride or fix it up however to make you happy. But that’ll satisfy your 12v needs.

is the water pump new? My gauges have been accurate but just be aware that there’s no warning sensors or anything if it overheats.

last note... these don’t have a low fuel light so don’t wait for the low fuel light to come on before getting diesel

while you shouldn’t have to give it throttle, you may need to adjust the hand throttle to get the idle right.

0367E80A-A49F-4FB0-A04A-2D0A69707FA8.png

Just note where your temp gauge is and make sure it doesn’t go sky rocket to the red. A little fluctuation would be fine in my opinion.

also, I’m not so sure about the cigarette lighter comments above. I’d hate to fry a phone. Unless it’s a converter, the cigarette charger may work 12-24v Range but it’ll Still fry a 12v electronic.

After owning mine 6 months I took it to Colorado and did the loop east of Ouray, Tincup Pass, etc. It was my first time off roading in a full size vehicle and it was a blast. The truck was far more capable than I was.

I did something similar last year - flew to Idaho and drove a PZJ77 back to Florida. Your 1HZ will do slightly better than my 1PZ but man the cross over the mountains is going to be brutal.

Where are you in Florida?

last note... these don’t have a low fuel light so don’t wait for the low fuel light to come on before getting diesel

Are you sure? I cant remember if my 73 series had one , but both 75s had them

Most plug ins are 12/24 volt capable. It will be written on the plug somewhere.

Most plug ins are 12/24 volt capable. It will be written on the plug somewhere.
But if it’s a 24v vehicle... and a 12v phone... it doesn’t matter if it’s capable, it’s gonna fry the phone. All that means is that the charger will work in a 12v or 24v truck.

y’all are gonna let this guy fry his stuff.

But if it’s a 24v vehicle... and a 12v phone... it doesn’t matter if it’s capable, it’s gonna fry the phone. All that means is that the charger will work in a 12v or 24v truck.

Phones aren’t 12v, they’re 5v, so any cigarette lighter charger provides a step down in voltage to begin with. Many, but not all, so called 12v USB chargers will work over a range of voltages, some as high as 30v. Make sure the charger can handle 24v or slightly more of input and it will charge the phone at 5v. I would also guess that were the charger fed too high an input voltage, it would fail with an open circuit and not fry the phone, though I wouldn’t want to try that.

Phones aren’t 12v, they’re 5v, so any cigarette lighter charger provides a step down in voltage to begin with. Many, but not all, so called 12v USB chargers will work over a range of voltages, some as high as 30v. Make sure the charger can handle 24v or slightly more of input and it will charge the phone at 5v. I would also guess that were the charger fed too high an input voltage, it would fail with an open circuit and not fry the phone, though I wouldn’t want to try that.

Read the charger, and/or the back of the piece of equipment you want to use, it will tell you it's input/output voltage. Most (if not all) plug in electronics can be used in 24v cig outlets, and all modern cig adapters have a fuse built in. I use my GPS unit plugged in all the time, and tablet chargers, phone chargers etc in the 24v outlet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom