Driving a HZJ73 across the country (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve never driven a 1hz but can say that I am perfectly happy with the 13bt. It’s not a rocket ship but it’s no dog either.

I’d be very curious to drive a hzj73.

The 13BT and the 3B are fabulous motors, I was not s***ting on them. The ones I have been around tended to shake and rattle the trucks too much, coming from an all petrol background I was always thinking something was wrong. Plus I can't stand rattles, it was just personal preference.

I don't know if the thermostat is missing but I will eventually check :D, It would only dip into the 1/8 mark during long down hill decent.

Your description sounded fairly normal. The easiest way to check the tstat, is to start the engine dead cold and keep your hand on the top radiator hose. after about 5 mins or maybe as long as 10 mins idling, the tstat will open and you will feel a flood of warm water through the hose. I haven't seen too many tstats fail on 1HZ . The type that sit above the engine seem to fail more often. The 1HZ tstat is always immersed in coolant , even if the levels are low. Ive had my coolant temp coming out of the head at 55c on not so steep descents.

Another thing, a bad tstat would have given you problems on a drive like that in warm temps.

Last edited:
I’ve never driven a 1hz but can say that I am perfectly happy with the 13bt. It’s not a rocket ship but it’s no dog either.

I’d be very curious to drive a hzj73.

The thing I remembered most was the torque was useful over a wider rpm on the 1HZ . But its natural for 6 cyl to do this over a 4cyl. With a 50klm speed limit in my area, I find if I take off in 2nd and shift to 3rd, I dont really need to hit 4th, unless the speed limit picks up. 3rd is useful for braking.
A set of 31 inch tyres can make the 1HZ relatively nippy around the burbs. But its limited on the hwy

My 13BT never seems to heat up either but I only have the factory gauge to monitor with.

Welcome to the 1HZ club! Truck looks awesome! I've been driving my 1HZ powered 80 for a while now and the power can hold its own. I do plan on turbo'ing it though. My old 1HZ-T powered 60 spoiled it for me. That thing hauled ass.

Some “refresh” parts...

Mostly interior plastic parts, bezels, pedal pads, gauge glass, seat parts, center console, turn signal lens, bushings for the clutch and brake pedal... etc etc.. the brake pedal would rattle a little bit on dirt roads. Hopefully replacing the plastic bushings in the pedals well help a bit.
49C32EC5-1226-43A5-A202-615CB3577A8E.jpeg
FE3F5CB5-12E6-4D8C-AE7F-0D109BE2E784.jpeg
40CDA9AB-D020-4977-AE7D-1FE196C152D8.jpeg
1A6F904C-4B48-4A62-93FB-8940E4FE612F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom