driveshaft slip/length questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBen

SILVER Star
Threads
67 FJ40....SOA,
no cut and turn
standard d-shaft.
No shackle reversal

It has the front springs flipped, 350/SM420 conversion. I'm putting the front d-shaft in as since the conversion, the exhaust has been in the way (ramhorns/ypipe going in this weekend) The front driveshaft is REALLY close to the right size, i just wonder how much slip/travel will I need.

Obviously I don't want it to destroy the t-case, or pull apart.

Rough estimates:
~29 1/4" flange to flange pinion-t-case

at that length, the driveshaft has around 3/4" ~ 1" before it's fully compressed. (will get better measurements once I can place the shaft up there.)

How much travel should I allow for? If I"m going to shorten...how much slip does that shaft need to have available?

Split the available travel in half, and you should be safe. Your axle will not move closer to the transfer case since the shackle is still out front.

If you want, you can skimp on the compression side a bit.....so that you get a little more cushion on the extension side of things.

Sorry that I do not remember the available slip of a stock Land Cruiser slip and stub shaft.

Last edited:
it sounds like that drive shaft may work fine if you don't do the SR your driveshaft travel is minimal.. Dallas (Ragman) was running a Minitruck CV in his front SOA with out the SR.. the mini CV has like 5" of travel VS 4" on the stock shaft..

id put it on the articulation ramp to tell how much travel you are going to need.. thats the only way to be sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom