Driveshaft length (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me the length of the rear driveshaft from emergency brake drum flange to pinion flange on a stock 1970 FJ40.

Can anyone tell me the length of the rear driveshaft from emergency brake drum flange to pinion flange on a stock 1970 FJ40.

If you're having one made, measure the flange to flange measurement and subtract an inch to allow for compression. Not sure why you're asking though, and my '74 is no longer stock nor would it ever have had the same length shaft as a '70 with a 3 speed.

@Living in the Past
@65swb45

I'm sure 1/2 a dozen other vendors could possibly supply a replacement shaft if that's what's needed.

I prefer the length of the long shaft from the weld for the yolk for the U joints to the end of the smaller section with the slip joint. Can get that and flange to flange on my 10/69 70 FJ40. Running is stock except for the 75 2F.

@Living in the Past
@65swb45

I'm sure 1/2 a dozen other vendors could possibly supply a replacement shaft if that's what's needed.

Hopefully you weren't implying I was a vendor? I just a nobody who has collected a few parts over years.

I prefer the length of the long shaft from the weld for the yolk for the U joints to the end of the smaller section with the slip joint. Can get that and flange to flange on my 10/69 70 FJ40. Running is stock except for the 75 2F.

Hopefully you weren't implying I was a vendor? I just a nobody who has collected a few parts over years.
My wording wasn’t the most careful. I’m aware you’re not a vendor but was pretty sure you had a ‘70 shaft around.
Mark is a Vendor, he and others will likely have a few different ‘70 shafts around.

I’m with @bikersmurf on starting with flange to flange measurements rather than going after some irrelevant factory measurement.

I have about 60 driveshafts for your vintage, many of which are‘adjusted’ from factory spec’s just enough to be a real world better fit than factory spec, all of which are available for $100 plus the ride.

The reason I was asking is when I did the engine swap back in 1984 I took measurements and wrote them down but over the years the notes have been lost.
At the time of the conversion I was under money and time constraints.
I was using my Fj40 to pull my travel trailer to art shows.
The old six gave up the ghost coming home on one of the trips and I need to get it back on the road a sap.
I didn't have the time or get drive shaft work done so swapped the front and back shafts.
I started some drive train work and more out of curiosity wondering what the old measurements were.
I have what is now the rear shaft on the lathe and it looks and spins pretty true.
I have it stretched out to 27 5/16" flange to flange.
It has been working all these years but like I said, just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom