driveshaft issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so, ive got a vibration on the troopy that i identified as bad u-joint(S). got under the truck and started feeling, sure enough all four seem to be loose, and the slider splines are loose as well. under closer look the u joint cups seem to be loose in the yokes.

i havent gotten new ujoints yet because i have a feeling the shafts are just worn out and new joints will be loose as well as the splines just being worn. thoughts?

do the ujoint cups wear down but the yokes are still good?

i guess i wont really know till i get a new ujoint and try the fit.

if i need new shafts, does anyone have a serviceable pair they want to let go?

Sir,
If you take your drive shaft to driveshaft shop, they should be able to not only replace the u-joints but replace the splines and rebalance the assembly.

Effectively if you have to do this, you have a 'new' rebuilt driveshaft so it might cost as much as a new shaft. Cost/Timing/Availability are factors that would come into play. If it were me, I would take the driveshaft to a quality driveshaft shop for them to assess the condition and estimate the cost (& time) for the rebuild. If it can be done in under two weeks, I would probably press. If they project any issue with parts/material, I would reach out to Onur so he could assess price and availability of an OEM replacement. Then you could make your decision based on data.

Good luck

having a driveshaft rebuilt should easily be half the cost f a new OEM. although i could be surprised.

i need to get the u jonts and do a fit, just to see if the yokes are indeed trashed.

@Onur , or anyone else who knows. what are the common ujoints for our rigs? i seem to remember FJ62 and the first couple years of FJ80?

having a driveshaft rebuilt should easily be half the cost f a new OEM. although i could be surprised.

i need to get the u jonts and do a fit, just to see if the yokes are indeed trashed.

@Onur , or anyone else who knows. what are the common ujoints for our rigs? i seem to remember FJ62 and the first couple years of FJ80?

Depends 100% on year, market, specification, etc. Not generalizable.

Actually, buying a new OEM driveshaft, balanced, perfect fit, Usually runs cheaper than a driveshaft shop.

so, ive got a vibration on the troopy that i identified as bad u-joint(S). got under the truck and started feeling, sure enough all four seem to be loose, and the slider splines are loose as well. under closer look the u joint cups seem to be loose in the yokes.

i havent gotten new ujoints yet because i have a feeling the shafts are just worn out and new joints will be loose as well as the splines just being worn. thoughts?

i guess i wont really know till i get a new ujoint and try the fit.

if i need new shafts, does anyone have a serviceable pair they want to let go?
Honestly... given the way you describe the problem, and the region of origin, my money would be on new u-joints having been put in that were "close" to the right size. If the yokes had been opened up by previous bad u-joints you'd be able to tell I think... they wouldn't be perfectly circular.

Granted the loose splines are odd...

Granted the loose splines are odd...

Well it does have 498,000k on the clock.

I don't see evidence of a wrench ever being on these fasteners, either they used the right size tools and didn't slip at all, or these parts or original.

I had the shafts off my 75 series checked at a large rebuilder. He said they were good but the yolks had started to open up. He said you can usually press them back to shape at least once.

Got any pics of the u joints in their yokes?

I'll take some.

20210608_190036.jpg
20210608_190151.jpg

Last edited:
How sloppy is the front shaft and yokes?
Could be a possibility to lengthen the front to fit the rear if the splines and yokes are tighter and then shorten the rear to fit the front. Unless you just source new hardware, which would be better of course. Sir.

Actually the rear shaft should be serviceable. The front one is the bad one.

When I get back from Montana I'm going to remove the front shaft and go for a drive, then vice versa. Then take it from there.

I do plan on installing hubs so the front shaft can be dis engaged.

Driveshaft rebuild and balance are under $150 in Tucson per shaft at most shops (except Western Differential $$$). i have had shafts done in Salt Lake, Billings MT, Harrisburg PA, and Tucson and all have been really reasonable.

If your yokes and splines are blown and you need a new one.

$99 on ebay

Then get it retubed to length.

I cannot understand why people are afraid of driveshafts.

I cannot understand why people are afraid of driveshafts.
same here,, ive built my own shafts before. only need the rear shaft to be balanced, front one is easy, well with hubs, wich i plan to install.

i havent messed with driveshafts in a while, but i see many driveshaft shops are offerening weld it yourself kits... i like it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom