Does your headlights self level on startup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What years had this feature during startup??
This looks like a post 2016 LC200 but my 2017 does not have this startup routine.

Watch about a minute into the video of the guy starting his car up.

My 2010 LX does it. I suspect any 200 with low beam projectors probably does it. not sure on that, but I know that every vehicle I have had since 2000 that had HID projectors whether Toyota/Lexus or BMW has done it.

Yeah I’m specifically asking about the beams going up down in sequence when engine is started.

It’s at 00:30 he calls it auto adjusting.

My car lights do not do that.

Last edited:
lots of info here:

I have a 2017, and my headlights don't do the startup dance but self-level. Also have a lift and needed to adjust a bracket noted here.

I can’t imagine that Toyota would build different headlights for US and ROW. hmmmmm

My 2013 LX does this, I think was part of the AFS (adaptive front lighting) that was added in 2012. I’m pretty sure it is LX only feature in the USA. possibly LCs get it in other markets?

If you don’t have this button then probably don’t have the self leveling lights.

0C793B4C-4FF1-409B-9F7D-44EAA0F1D3B1.jpeg

Last edited:
My 2013 LX does this, I think it was added in 2012. I’m pretty sure it is LX only feature in the USA. possibly LCs get it in other markets?

Yeah I’m specifically asking about the beams going up down in sequence when engine is started.

It’s at 00:30 he calls it auto adjusting.

My car lights do not do that.

My 2010 LX does it as well. I suspect any vehicle with AFS would do it for sure. If you have a bracket/arm on your rear suspension that is designed to measure the height, your headlights most likely should be doing the test. I can tell you on my 2013 GS, that at one point water got into my headlight and fouled up the tilt motor on one side. Once that happened, I got a warning light on my dash and the startup test function stopped happening.

@82SC You might check your ECU to see if there is a hidden DTC for headlight function.

yeah haven't heard single LC200 owner say their rig does it
And it must be an ECU thing as I am sure the headlights themselves and the sensor at the rear are exactly the same.

Not that I need to see the headlight dance but after lifting my LC and making an extended bracket like the one in the video I noticed my auto HIGHbeams are completely possessed. They seem to trigger when there are cars coming toward me and switch to low beam on dark empty roads.

Just wondering if I was missing something

I can’t imagine that Toyota would build different headlights for US and ROW. hmmmmm
You might be surprised. There are all kinds of laws and rules mandating what manufacturers do with lighting and they aren’t the same country to country.

Where can you get the adjustment rod?

I want to see more of that 69 Camaro.

Oh yes.

We feel sorry for the US for getting only 1 flavor of the cruiser...
We had 5 trim levels of the LC200, with differences in options, engines, transmissions...etc.

Top trim 200 series had LED auto-leveling headlights and AHC like the LX.
Lowest trim had basic halogen bulbs, no light leveling

For those people with taller/bigger lifts, would it be possible to simply flip the mounting bracket around and use the factory rod?

Did you ever find out what year models do the up and down on start up??

There was another thread recently that said all post 16 do and it usually does it only when there has been a change in load in the rear. But at this point it seems like the Sasquatch to me. Lots of talk but can’t seem to get any solid evidence.

Also can’t get a clear answer on auto high beams not working after messing with all this.

Silly minor features but the OCD in me wants to make sure monkeying around isn’t throwing off other sensors and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom