Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep,
I dont get that feeling of "it looks right" when I look at the transmission cover in the picture. I even debated posting it but I refuse to be one of those artificial internet people that portray their life experiences as all gumdrops, rainbows, and sunshine. What you see is what you get. . . for better or worse. I can always go back and paint the cover black but I still want to install the tub first just to make sure. Once the black heater covers the top third, shifter covers are in place, and seat framework/console cover the back half everything may all come together. . . or it may still look wonky. Honestly, I think just getting the tub and cover in place will make a huge difference.
It goes on the back burner for now; this week is all about sanding and buffing the bigger chunk of aluminum so I can get my shop floor space back!

Just to add my 2 cents to the mix. . . for me the dark side was always my left. Back in the day spending 8 hours driving around in the vet truck without A/C meant the window was usually open. . . and my arm was half out. . . getting more sun. . . thus making it the dark side (compared to the right). :)

Maybe you should paint the upper part of the side too.
Then paint the floor blue just not the foot well area, like there is a mat in there.
That will change the overall look.

Deerely Beloved,
We are gathered here today to join a fine piece of Canadian Craftsmanship with a fine piece of Japanese Design and Engineering in Holy MUDDtrimony. To drive and admire in the outdoors and while parked, to appreciate when functional and wrench on when not, to form a lasting and eternal bond until rust do they part. . .
In case you didn't already get the idea the sanding/polishing is done and Dad and I set the tub on the frame last night.

IMG_4352.jpg

Good angles were tough to get in the shop with all the other stuff inside.

IMG_4354.jpg

I guess this is more of a dress rehearsal, I just had enough time to set things in place and have not secured anything down. . . so I guess there is still time to hear objections before telling anyone to hold their peace and officially tying the knot (or would that be tightening the bolt? ;))

IMG_4356.jpg

Of course have to show the equivalent of the ugly bridesmaid's dress, even though with the tub in place the two tone trans cover is growing on me (blue "top" looks a lot lighter in the picture than real life). I really like the black floor. . . if I do anything it will be to paint the trans cover top black again but Im just not there yet.

IMG_4355.jpg

Busy weekend coming up with the nephew's birthday party and having to cover for the associate at work while she is on vacation. . . Oh, almost forgot about this:

IMG_4357.jpg

Two days and two Amish fellas can knock some boards off. I am working feverishly to remove all the older hay that I can from the right third (of the barn) before potential rain comes and wets it down. I am also thinking this would be a good time to downsize my hoarding collection that is stashed in the left third now that I can chuck it out the side.

Once the body is bolted down I will focus on finish painting the gas tank cover, seat brackets, roll bar, etc. I have all those pieces already prepped and it will be nice to get them off the shop floor. The siren song of the hood and windshield frame is getting louder. . . doubt I will be able to keep away from them much longer.

Looks great mate what code blue is that

Looks great mate
Good on You for thinking as much!
what code blue is that
I starting out wanting Toyota Sky Blue (854?? Cannot remember number but looked it up here in the archives). . . but every paint shop I requested a Sky Blue sample from was different than what my eye wanted. Every color that came back had more of a darker/grey tone. This color was literally picked from a paint chip at my local paint supplier. Luckily a two by four inch paint sample translated over to exactly what I wanted on the 40. I know its not for everyone but for those that really want to know I used the Chem-Spec line and the code was SBO3590.
The secret is out now!

I had to share the first part of your last post with some of my family. Well done! I need to swear those vows to my truck too.
Sometimes I have no idea where this stuff comes from. . . but couldn't resist getting a little creative for the situation. Promise there were no noxious fumes or multiple empty beer bottles involved :wacky:.

Looking great Doc!!

Your rig looks fantastic.

Thanks guys. Just trying to keep pace with all you all. Seems just about everyone brings their A Game when working on or running their 40; at least from the posts I have been trying to read and keep up with!

Man that thing is pretty Doc!

Nice bones on that old barn!

Yep, too nice to tear down even if it is not the best building for a workshop or efficient storage. Its been here for over 150 years, hopefully I can keep it around for another couple decades.

Thank You everyone for all the great comments. I truly appreciate all of them.

After work but before shoveling a few loads of hay out of the barn I had time to spray epoxy on the interior bits.

IMG_4358.jpg

If the sun comes out again tomorrow I will make use of the black can of paint. (Blue for the gas tank cover, silver for the console, black for everything else). If rain wins out there in plenty to do inside including bolting/sealing the tub to the frame. So much accomplished but still so much to do. . .

A quick follow up to yesterday's post(s).
Measured the Radiator Support Mounting Brackets on the 1978 Frame from the front cross member towards the engine:
View attachment 1397025

And on my 1972 Frame:
View attachment 1397021

It appears the earlier brackets were 1/2" longer in general and the hole for the radiator support is just over an inch closer to the engine on the earlier frame.
Makes sense why I had two different lengths of radiator support rods:
View attachment 1397022

And why the front splash shields are different (1972 left top, 1978 right top):
View attachment 1397026

Put the radiator supports side by side and the 1972 frame (painted black) does have an extra metal lip that extends about an inch forward that is not on the 1978 frame. It appears there may also be a height difference between the two but part of that could be the angle of the picture. I originally cleaned up/painted the 1972 frame by chance because it had less broken bolts stuck in it and one of the captive nuts is missing on the '78 (OK, I was lazy). Looks like I will be cleaning up the '78 frame after all. The small expanded metal mesh across the top also needs fixed or replaced.
View attachment 1397024

Provided the front bib/headlights clear the radiator support the most cost effective move at this point is to drill two new radiator support holes farther forward on my 1972 frame. I can then use my new water pump and fan clutch as designed, and much cheaper than buying a new water pump and fan.

Apologies if this is common knowledge. . . I went thru 40 some pages of archives before I found any mention of it (back in 2005) after FJ40Jim brought the difference to my attention. Perhaps I am not using the right key words in the search box. . .

And for the record I have been tempted to sneak out in the night to "check" on things. . . I suppose that is one of the benefits to having the shop a couple miles away. Id have to at least put pants and shoes on to make that journey. . . especially this time of year!

This just made my day!! I'm going through the same s*** and it's frustrating. I was beating my head trying to figure out what the issue was and like you, my original radiator was thinner...that 1/2 does make a big difference whe the fan is super close.

Looks like I'll be drilling new holes in the frame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom