Dobinsons IMS Monotube Shocks for 80 Series - Internal resi Monotube Shocks (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

'93 S/C'ed 80, Slee front bumper with w/ winch & synthetic rope, WK sliders. Unidentifiable (so far) ~1" lift (including a 10mm spacer), OME N73 shocks of indeterminable age, 315 Procomp tires. Rough ride on dirt roads, even with tires aired down as low as 10psi.
I'm doing suspension changes piece-meal style, because I want to see what each component is doing...

Step 1 was changing the front shocks to the 0-3" version of the Dobinsons monotube shocks (the non-reservoir version). Significant improvement in ride quality & handling on dirt roads (18psi in the tires); all the 'rough road' feedback now comes from the rear.

Step 2 will be finding the softest front spring that'll give me 2" of lift.
Then I'll tend to the rear.

Last edited:
Installed: IMS 1.75” Springs 220v in front and 223v in rear. + delta vs 2” arms.
I’m chasing a power steering leak so have put a lot of miles on mine in the last two weeks but, so far they are great. They are really impressive, burley beasts.

I have a little dirt loop in the hood that I use as a test track . It’s lumpy and thumpy. This kit has very much tamed this “track”. Able to go a lot faster than before, the rig isn’t rattling and no harsh shocks from hitting the irregular features. I’m not airing down either. There was so much less interior rattle, that I freaked out when I heard a banging from the roof rack, then realized it was just my shovel bouncing inside my roof top box....hadn’t heard that before. (Now I’ve secured the shovel).
On road, corners, braking and high speed is all well mannered, and confident. Ride is firm, but not harsh. quality is top notch. Best thing I can say is the truck feels new. Really want to see how it does loaded out with all the gear.

Next trip is in 2-3 weeks should have a better report then. Heading to Mendocino Forrest stuff, wish we were heading to Death Valley, would like to try these out on the washboard hell that place can be :)
4E669BDA-C07B-4BF8-8EE6-AC2F39263816.jpeg

Last edited:
UPDATE: just got back from the first trail ride. About 80 miles on dirt fireroads and some slightly choppier dirt trails, in slushy, mud and snow, and about 200 on the highway, and 80 miles on twisty back country roads. Fully packed out with two kids, food water, gear, etc.

Initial impressions from above hold true, only its better. Off road there was nothing remarkable to say, the rig just felt planted and confident. The ride was not jarring, there was zero fade, hitting the unexpected rut or bump at speed was absorbed well and did not translate into a shockwave like it did on my old suspension. Ride at highway speed was as good if not better than stock height. I'd like to think that some of the ride quality also has something to do with the @Delta VS arms too. Twisty mountain roads were actually fun vs a nail biter. The rig stayed pretty level in turns, I didn't notice any wallowing or dive. I think Dobinsons nailed this kit. Happy camper here.

That's great, thanks man!!

UPDATE: just got back from the first trail ride. About 80 miles on dirt fireroads and some slightly choppier dirt trails, in slushy, mud and snow, and about 200 on the highway, and 80 miles on twisty back country roads. Fully packed out with two kids, food water, gear, etc.

Initial impressions from above hold true, only its better. Off road there was nothing remarkable to say, the rig just felt planted and confident. The ride was not jarring, there was zero fade, hitting the unexpected rut or bump at speed was absorbed well and did not translate into a shockwave like it did on my old suspension. Ride at highway speed was as good if not better than stock height. I'd like to think that some of the ride quality also has something to do with the @Delta VS arms too. Twisty mountain roads were actually fun vs a nail biter. The rig stayed pretty level in turns, I didn't notice any wallowing or dive. I think Dobinsons nailed this kit. Happy camper here.
That's great!!

Yeah, having the right alignment parts in place makes a massive difference on ride and drive quality. Glad to hear it worked well for you!!

Bring on the 6” IMS shocks...

@crikeymike
What’s the status of getting IMS59-60683 front shocks back in stock?
Still waiting on an ETA from production. No date at this point unfortunately

I had the 3" tapered coils and IMS shocks for the rear but 3" flexicoils and Fox shocks for the front. Yesterday, I replaced the front springs with 3.5" tapered and IMS shocks to match all around and took the truck out last night for some testing. Thanks @crikeymike

Moving from 3" flexi to 3.5" tapered resulted in a 1.5" lift (or more) up front. This in turn screwed up my perfect caster and caused the steering to be a bit vague on road. I'm hoping that the springs settle and bring the caster back closer to 3*. If not, then I'll look at modifying the radius arm mounts on the frame for correction.

While the steering is a bit vague, the vehicle felt more planted with less side to side roll on the street. I could tell that it was more of the front providing this effect since the rear was tight before but now felt a bit looser. On road, the truck was just as smooth as the flexicoils but settled quicker after small bumps. The extra control from the tapered coils and IMS shocks is very subtle and gives more confidence in the ride but there's no doubt it still feels like a lifted truck.

My test road is a unfinished gravel section of road about 3/4 mile long with some nasty corrugations and sweeping turns. Last night I hit this section of road at 45mph and the effect of the new coils and shocks was immediately apparent. The ride was quiet, softer, and smoother. Everything about the vehicle felt damped. The road descends down into a low section and then climbs back up with corrugations and sweeping turns. With flexi and Fox, I reached the grip limit of the tires quicker and drifted around the corner. Corrugations caused the truck to jump and bounce on the edge of control. With the new suspension, grip limit increased every so slightly but the corrugations disappeared. I was blown away at how good the IMS shocks handled this. Typically I slow down to maintain control however this time I kept pushing to go faster. I was being a bit too reckless and did ultimately have to back off.

This was an expensive upgrade for me. $1800 in springs and shocks. I was hoping that the ride height would be closer to 3.5" front and 3" rear but I am very pleased with the ride.

I've had three different suspension setups:
3.5" Frankies offroad with Bilstein yellow shocks (came with the truck) - While the Frankies front coils are very good, the linear rear coils were way too soft. I bounced off the bump stops every time I was offroad. The Bilsteins were completely blown out.

3" Flexi front/4" Flexi rear with Fox shocks ($1000) - A very good budget setup for a light Cruiser. Doesn't handle weight well but a lot of suspension for the money. I put 4" springs in the rear for camp gear. Empty the truck did great, with people and gear it wallowed on road and off road.

3.5" Tapered front/3" Tapered rear with Dobinson IMS shocks ($1800) - Very impressed but need a variety of conditions to really test them.

TL;DR - Tapered coils and IMS shocks are really good.

I had the 3" tapered coils and IMS shocks for the rear but 3" flexicoils and Fox shocks for the front. Yesterday, I replaced the front springs with 3.5" tapered and IMS shocks to match all around and took the truck out last night for some testing. Thanks @crikeymike

Moving from 3" flexi to 3.5" tapered resulted in a 1.5" lift (or more) up front. This in turn screwed up my perfect caster and caused the steering to be a bit vague on road. I'm hoping that the springs settle and bring the caster back closer to 3*. If not, then I'll look at modifying the radius arm mounts on the frame for correction.

While the steering is a bit vague, the vehicle felt more planted with less side to side roll on the street. I could tell that it was more of the front providing this effect since the rear was tight before but now felt a bit looser. On road, the truck was just as smooth as the flexicoils but settled quicker after small bumps. The extra control from the tapered coils and IMS shocks is very subtle and gives more confidence in the ride but there's no doubt it still feels like a lifted truck.

My test road is a unfinished gravel section of road about 3/4 mile long with some nasty corrugations and sweeping turns. Last night I hit this section of road at 45mph and the effect of the new coils and shocks was immediately apparent. The ride was quiet, softer, and smoother. Everything about the vehicle felt damped. The road descends down into a low section and then climbs back up with corrugations and sweeping turns. With flexi and Fox, I reached the grip limit of the tires quicker and drifted around the corner. Corrugations caused the truck to jump and bounce on the edge of control. With the new suspension, grip limit increased every so slightly but the corrugations disappeared. I was blown away at how good the IMS shocks handled this. Typically I slow down to maintain control however this time I kept pushing to go faster. I was being a bit too reckless and did ultimately have to back off.

This was an expensive upgrade for me. $1800 in springs and shocks. I was hoping that the ride height would be closer to 3.5" front and 3" rear but I am very pleased with the ride.

I've had three different suspension setups:
3.5" Frankies offroad with Bilstein yellow shocks (came with the truck) - While the Frankies front coils are very good, the linear rear coils were way too soft. I bounced off the bump stops every time I was offroad. The Bilsteins were completely blown out.

3" Flexi front/4" Flexi rear with Fox shocks ($1000) - A very good budget setup for a light Cruiser. Doesn't handle weight well but a lot of suspension for the money. I put 4" springs in the rear for camp gear. Empty the truck did great, with people and gear it wallowed on road and off road.

3.5" Tapered front/3" Tapered rear with Dobinson IMS shocks ($1800) - Very impressed but need a variety of conditions to really test them.

TL;DR - Tapered coils and IMS shocks are really good.
The springs won’t settle enough to make a difference. I run the same springs 4 years now with 1” front and 30mm rear spacers on top. Needed new shocks recently and would have gone with the IMS but with my spacers I was running the Dobinson yellow 6” shocks up front to take advantage of that long spring. I ended up buying Ironman foam cell pro shocks because Dobinson won’t make the IMS in a 6” version and Ironman does. So far I’m satisfied with the new shocks.

The springs won’t settle enough to make a difference. I run the same springs 4 years now with 1” front and 30mm rear spacers on top. Needed new shocks recently and would have gone with the IMS but with my spacers I was running the Dobinson yellow 6” shocks up front to take advantage of that long spring. I ended up buying Ironman foam cell pro shocks because Dobinson won’t make the IMS in a 6” version and Ironman does. So far I’m satisfied with the new shocks.
I like to have 50% up travel and 50% down travel. My rear shocks are perfect however my front shocks have a lot of shaft exposed. My up travel on the front is 6" or 7" but down travel is much less. I was considering a shock extension but will take some measurements and do some research before I commit.

I like to have 50% up travel and 50% down travel. My rear shocks are perfect however my front shocks have a lot of shaft exposed. My up travel on the front is 6" or 7" but down travel is much less. I was considering a shock extension but will take some measurements and do some research before I commit.
You need longer shocks. With the front set up I mentioned before and 6” lift shocks up front, I have 7” up and 5” down travel. Even with Delta arms 5” down is enough.

Bring on the 6” IMS shocks...
They're getting made!!

Dobinsons has announced they're going through production, so I've just added the specs and details to the first post of this thread, and added them up on the website to take advance orders for them. Still waiting on an ETA, probably 2+ months out still.

Front for 6" of lift: IMS59-60684 - 728mm extended, 420mm compressed - Dobinsons IMS59-60684 IFP Front Shocks for 80 Series (6" lift)
Rear for 6" of lift: IMS59-60685 - 730mm extended, 432mm compressed - Dobinsons IMS59-60685 IFP Rear Shocks for 80 Series (6" lift)

They're getting made!!

Dobinsons has announced they're going through production, so I've just added the specs and details to the first post of this thread, and added them up on the website to take advance orders for them. Still waiting on an ETA, probably 2+ months out still.

Front for 6" of lift: IMS59-60684 - 728mm extended, 420mm compressed - Dobinsons IMS59-60684 IFP Front Shocks for 80 Series (6" lift)
Rear for 6" of lift: IMS59-60685 - 730mm extended, 432mm compressed - Dobinsons IMS59-60685 IFP Rear Shocks for 80 Series (6" lift)
Too late! I’m on Ironman FCP now. 6” front 4” rear. Happy so far. Thanks

Too late! I’m on Ironman FCP now. 6” front 4” rear. Happy so far. Thanks
Yeah, but since you asked me 50 times about them, I figured you should be the first to know!!

Dobinsons sale starts Monday the 8th. Click here for full details:

November Sale.jpg

Anyone having trouble with the IMS boots? I just installed the front IMS shocks today (back I'll do in a few days, time and daylight permitted), and the boots seem like a joke. The zip ties don't really have a good purchase to grab onto on the black shock body, and the boot seems several inches too short. It won't stay in place on either side, and that's with no use yet at all.
The TJM shocks I just took were much cheaper, and they have a nice solid rubber boot which was plenty protective and stiff, and kept the shock shaft totally concealed from pebbles and such.
Did Dob's just cheap out on these boots on what otherwise seems to be a great shock???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom