Do not do this, trigger alert 4 LC totaled not so wise humans OK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They float quite well😳

I got caught in a flash flood while hunting in South Texas (near Laredo) in 2002. I was hunting near a river bed and the only way out of the area was across the creek. I had no choice but to cross as the whole area was flooding. My LC floated just like this....with me in it. I finally got traction about 40 yards downstream and was able to climb out of the torrent. It fouled 2 of my 6 plugs. I barely limped up the hill. I was so stressed out that once I reached safe ground I layed my seat back and slept for a couple of hours. Amazingly I got no water in the vehicle and had no engine damage!

If only they had snorkels.....and whatever the LC version of water wings is.

This event and getting stuck in the mud several times over the years prompted me to start making modifications in 2010. I have pretty much sealed up everything so I don't have problems with water. Not much you can do if you get caught in deep, fast flowing water. The right idea is to not be there when it happens!

I still cross deep creeks but not when the water is flowing rapidly or above hood level.

I have been very surprised since moving to Saudi Arabia how many drowning deaths there are every year from flash flooding. Although there is lots of sand about, most of the country is extremely hard ground and when a storm pops up the water has nowhere to go but downhill.

October 2019 I was out with Rodger and his wife who are friends from a neighbouring province and they own a rather nice 40. We were going through a 'Rambla' or dry river bed when I could hear a noise which I thought was coming from the 80, I pulled over to investigate and it turns out to be a helicopter flying low over us and eventually landed a few yards in front of us. It was the Guardia Civil and we were warned about the 'Gota Fria' or 'cold drop'. This is the Spanish version of 'hey what a lovely day......oh s*** the roads are flooded!'

Being mountainous and in a river bed you cannot always see the sky, the first warning of dangerous rain storms is announced by the rivers being suddenly flooded with absolutely zero warning, so we are always on the alert. Also as some areas are off limit to certain vehicles (but rarely 4x4's) and knowing Rodger had checked previously with authorities that we were not doing anything amiss we felt the Guardia would not have any issues...and we were right......or so we thought.

He warned us about being alert for the flash floods as bad weather had been in the region of late, and in fact the pilot stood by the helicopter leaving the engine running so he could jump in a lift off without delay. The officer took our details and advised us to leave the Rambla at the next exit which IIRC was about three miles away? He left us thinking what a nice guy, thinking of our well being etc.

Around ten months later I get a 300 euro fine for damage of flower and fauna WTF!! This is a river bed that often gets washed out by torrential rain and floods, and to add insult to injury there was a film set just up the way that apparently with no doubt dozens of people, various props, cars tractors....well you get the picture, were not being bothered by said officer!

If I did not contest the fine I get 20% off, and if I pay within ten days a further 30% off, yeh that's how it works, they take ten months to decide whether to issue a fine and the recipient gets ten days to pay it! Around two months later Rodger and his wife (who live in the same province where we were stopped) got the same fine two months later!

Still think that Spain is no longer a third world country? How about me not paying the road tax on my other seven Land Cruiser 80's................all with the same registration number?

Go figure.

regards

Dave

October 2019 I was out with Rodger and his wife who are friends from a neighbouring province and they own a rather nice 40. We were going through a 'Rambla' or dry river bed when I could hear a noise which I thought was coming from the 80, I pulled over to investigate and it turns out to be a helicopter flying low over us and eventually landed a few yards in front of us. It was the Guardia Civil and we were warned about the 'Gota Fria' or 'cold drop'. This is the Spanish version of 'hey what a lovely day......oh s*** the roads are flooded!'

Being mountainous and in a river bed you cannot always see the sky, the first warning of dangerous rain storms is announced by the rivers being suddenly flooded with absolutely zero warning, so we are always on the alert. Also as some areas are off limit to certain vehicles (but rarely 4x4's) and knowing Rodger had checked previously with authorities that we were not doing anything amiss we felt the Guardia would not have any issues...and we were right......or so we thought.

He warned us about being alert for the flash floods as bad weather had been in the region of late, and in fact the pilot stood by the helicopter leaving the engine running so he could jump in a lift off without delay. The officer took our details and advised us to leave the Rambla at the next exit which IIRC was about three miles away? He left us thinking what a nice guy, thinking of our well being etc.

Around ten months later I get a 300 euro fine for damage of flower and fauna WTF!! This is a river bed that often gets washed out by torrential rain and floods, and to add insult to injury there was a film set just up the way that apparently with no doubt dozens of people, various props, cars tractors....well you get the picture, were not being bothered by said officer!

If I did not contest the fine I get 20% off, and if I pay within ten days a further 30% off, yeh that's how it works, they take ten months to decide whether to issue a fine and the recipient gets ten days to pay it! Around two months later Rodger and his wife (who live in the same province where we were stopped) got the same fine two months later!

Still think that Spain is no longer a third world country? How about me not paying the road tax on my other seven Land Cruiser 80's................all with the same registration number?

Go figure.

regards

Dave

Gotta pay for that helicopter somehow :hillbilly: 🇪🇸

I got caught in a flash flood while hunting in South Texas (near Laredo) in 2002. I was hunting near a river bed and the only way out of the area was across the creek. I had no choice but to cross as the whole area was flooding. My LC floated just like this....with me in it. I finally got traction about 40 yards downstream and was able to climb out of the torrent. It fouled 2 of my 6 plugs. I barely limped up the hill. I was so stressed out that once I reached safe ground I layed my seat back and slept for a couple of hours. Amazingly I got no water in the vehicle and had no engine damage!

However, I ruined a good pair of pants and underwear.

Fixed it for you.

Found one of the pictures, a little poor (read very) as it was from a mobile.

Guardia Helicopter.jpg

Hmmm picture came up huge, but hey it is there, but at least you can see the 'flower and fauna' we were damaging! :mad:

regards

Dave

The OP gave fair warning regarding the horror. I watched anyway. I shouldn't have. What a waste of what appeared to be perfectly good cruisers.

Found one of the pictures, a little poor (read very) as it was from a mobile.

View attachment 2458627

Hmmm picture came up huge, but hey it is there, but at least you can see the 'flower and fauna' we were damaging! :mad:

regards

Dave
I see......rocks.

they must have been trained by the nj eco police, its common knowledge only certain things like trucks and dirt bikes can damage the forest or in your case the river bed :rolleyes:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom