A442F not engaging gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mudders. Sorry for the long post. Recently bought a 94 Hdj81 with 387000km 1hdt engine. While driving it today , coming to a stop at an intersection, the car lost drive in all gears. The lever works fine and the linkage is good too. Switched the car off and started it again , and all gears ,R D 2 and L engaged, so took it slowly back home as it was just a couple of Kms where this happened. Just as I approached the gate to my house, it lost drive again. Did the same switch engine off and back on again and got drive to get it in. Once parked and still idling, could hear rattling noise coming from the gearbox and got louder when I pressed the accelerator. Tried driving it around the block and it would move very slowly with engine revs going higher. Seems like slipping and car takes off in higher gear. While stopped after restarting, it will get into gear ,reverse and drive but with my foot still on the brakes and without the car moving, it will go out of gear and not move. Trans oil is new as done the service around 1500km back with the correct oil and its still red with no burnt smell and correct level. Looking for help from the gurus here on what could be wrong.with the transmission. TIA.

I would guess the shift solenoids or maybe a stripped Burfield.

Hi Mudders. Sorry for the long post. Recently bought a 94 Hdj81 with 387000km 1hdt engine. While driving it today , coming to a stop at an intersection, the car lost drive in all gears. The lever works fine and the linkage is good too. Switched the car off and started it again , and all gears ,R D 2 and L engaged, so took it slowly back home as it was just a couple of Kms where this happened. Just as I approached the gate to my house, it lost drive again. Did the same switch engine off and back on again and got drive to get it in. Once parked and still idling, could hear rattling noise coming from the gearbox and got louder when I pressed the accelerator. Tried driving it around the block and it would move very slowly with engine revs going higher. Seems like slipping and car takes off in higher gear. While stopped after restarting, it will get into gear ,reverse and drive but with my foot still on the brakes and without the car moving, it will go out of gear and not move. Trans oil is new as done the service around 1500km back with the correct oil and its still red with no burnt smell and correct level. Looking for help from the gurus here on what could be wrong.with the transmission. TIA.
Will it move if the transfer case is shifted into Low Range?

Is the TC Shifter in the proper position?

Did a cable to the throttle body break?

It does not move in either Low range or High range. TC shifter is in the correct position.
The lever is
It does not move in either Low range or High range. TC shifter is in the correct position.
It's not engaging any gear. Removed the wire for the solenoids at the side of the box but still wouldn't engage any gear. This was to check if the fault was electronic as reverse gear is hydraulic driven in these.

Is there still oil in the transmission?
Is it at the correct level?
Check it when running, warmed up in park. Since you can't warm it up, is it at least close to the full line when you check it?

Find and FSM and go through the process of checking the kickdown cable adjustment. If this is way off the truck will run horribly. Hard to diagnose from afar but that would be the first thing I would check.
Have checked all the obvious. Kickdown cable is in good condition and was within spec. Could this be a internal mechanical issue or an electrical fault somewhere?

Have checked all the obvious. Kickdown cable is in good condition and was within spec. Could this be a internal mechanical issue or an electrical fault somewhere?
I have a copy of the FSM and have carried out a few tests on wiring to the TCM from the gearbox and checked the solenoids individually as per the FSM but all check out as per spec.

Hate to say it, probably need a new tranny. pull the dip stick and i bet the tranny oil is burnt. You can turn the car off and let it sit and start up again and you can limp a few hundred yards....did you overheat the tranny at some point?

Hate to say it, probably need a new tranny. pull the dip stick and i bet the tranny oil is burnt. You can turn the car off and let it sit and start up again and you can limp a few hundred yards....did you overheat the tranny at some point?
The oil is a little darker than the red that went in but doesn't smell burnt. As stated, have had the truck for the last 5 months and it's possible the PO had an issue with the transmission overheating but never mentioned it. Will be getting a used transmission as parts or new trans aren't available around these parts.

The oil is a little darker than the red that went in but doesn't smell burnt. As stated, have had the truck for the last 5 months and it's possible the PO had an issue with the transmission overheating but never mentioned it. Will be getting a used transmission as parts or new trans aren't available around these parts.
You can try to drain all the fluid, change out the tranny filter and do a Rodney Flush with new fluid and see if you can bring the tranny back to life.....i would do that before you go down the route to source a new tranny.
When you drop the pan, you will be able to tell if you have excessive debris in your oil.
Probably a good time to invest in a tranny oil temp sender while the pan is out.
Also debris from the fluid can clog your supply line to the tranny oil cooler (although not common - asked me how i know)...you can overheat your tranny and your coolant temp would be more or less the same, or slightly higher than normal. Check to see if your tranny cooler (external) is cool to the touch when your tranny in operating temp. It should be warm to the touch to indicate heat exchange is taking place.

Last edited:
You can try to drain all the fluid, change out the tranny filter and do a Rodney Flush with new fluid and see if you can bring the tranny back to life.....i would do that before you go down the route to source a new tranny.
When you drop the pan, you will be able to tell if you have excessive debris in your oil.
Probably a good time to invest in a tranny oil temp sender while the pan is out.
Thanks, will give that a shot. A used tranny goes for around $2700 this side of the world.

The
Also debris from the fluid can clog your supply line to the tranny oil cooler (although not common - asked me how i know)...you can overheat your tranny and your coolant temp would be more or less the same, or slightly higher than normal. Check to see if your tranny cooler (external) is cool to the touch when your tranny in operating temp. It should be warm to the touch to indicate heat exchange is taking place.
There was some debris in the strainer , looked like clutch material but the magnets had hardly anything on them. Have blown compressed air through the pipes and the cooler inside the radiator and all were clear. Will try putting in new fluid with a flush and hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom