DO NEGLECT THE $5 DUST COVER (also need some advice) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, as some may know the 500K mile Tiki Cruiser would not start this weekend. Or rather, it started up and almost immediately shut off and then would only crank/no-start. After multiple tests and rabbits holes chased after 6+ hours of reading threads on my mud. I took the off the passenger side timing belt cover and this is what I found....
View attachment 2594847
Yes, that a mouse... or used to be. We had a very cold night Friday into Saturday and I had been driving the car all day. Almost exactly a year ago I did the timing belt and water pump and found that the truck was missing the smaller dust cover. I had heard stories about stuff like this, and thought what are the odds of that happening. I ordered the dust cover but it took forever to ship and I needed the car so I buttoned it up and moved on. I recently kicked the mice out of my garage and now I where they moved too.

Anyways, so here's the question: what should be replaced (or what should I have on hand to replace) in this scenario?

I feel likes there a good chance the belt is fine, but probably best to replace it. Waterpump should be fine right? Could crank/cam position sensor have gotten damaged in this process?

I'm considering ordering just a timing belt from Toyota and to have crank/cam position sensors on hand in case they're damaged and I'll return them if they're un scathed. I think the water pump should be just fine....but maybe I should grab the Aisin kit just in case and really take of advantage of free returns.
Your not going anywhere until fixed. So tear it down and look. The belt should be replaced and may be all needed. But look everywhere:

I'd be looking at all wiring both on top engine (main harness) and under intake manifold. They really like the valley.
Look for signs in interior. Pull blower motor and HVAC filter if you have them. Look hard up under dash at wires.

It doesnt appear that I have the option
1614264815416.png

wait.... @2001LC or anyone if there is procedure someone for taking the belt off when the timing is off? I know suppose position the crank a certain way (TDC? or for some year past) but if my timing on cams/crank is off what am I supposed to do?

As for rodent problem, that small cover will definitely go a long way, but may I suggest periodically dousing your engine bay in mint based rodent repellent sprays? They seem to deter some species well.
Anybody have a repellent they apply to the engine bay? I'm thinking once a year just before it gets cold, I'd be interested in knowing what people have had luck with.

I have heard peppermint oil, Irish Spring soap, moth balls, pine needles, Bazooka bubblegum and a lot of others work, but I haven't had any luck with them. A lot of people around here have good luck with underhood ultrasonic repellers that have flashing lights.

wait.... @2001LC or anyone if there is procedure someone for taking the belt off when the timing is off? I know suppose position the crank a certain way (TDC? or for some year past) but if my timing on cams/crank is off what am I supposed to do?

Removal of the belt should be no issue. Just bring the crank around to TDC (compression stroke on #1 cyl.) Remove belt.

Then install the new/same belt per the FSM. It doesn't matter where the cam timing is now....you'll simply be aligning the marks on the belt with the corresponding marks on the Crank and both cam sprockets. You can 'advance' the crank pulley 50° if you like....but all this does is place the cams in their most 'neutral' position to help prevent movement when installing the Timing Belt. But its no big deal if they DO move. All you have to do is manually turn each one until the 'match marks' line up.

After you've done that (lined up all the match marks), install the tensioner, double check everything, rotate engine two complete revolutions and when the HB mark is at zero degrees....both marks on the Timing Belt (at the cam sprockets) should line up with the witness marks on the housing. If so....you're good to go. IF NOT.....start all over.

TDC.jpg

Tbelt2.jpg

Tbelt1.jpg

Crank Timing Marks.JPG

I just noticed there is probably a typo in the thread title ....

Anybody have a repellent they apply to the engine bay? I'm thinking once a year just before it gets cold, I'd be interested in knowing what people have had luck with.
When I turned wrenchs, I had an old timer tell me coyote urine was the best deterrent. This was backed up by a customer that later cam in with pill bottles zip tied in engine bay. When I asked what they were I was happy that I didnt fool around too much with them.

Just set the cams (see @flintknapper pictures above) and the crank on hard marks. Then install your new belt. Final check is spinning crank 720 degrees CW. All hard mark will line up, belt marks will not.

Hard mechanical timing mark crank:
Timing Belt 06LC 194K 050.JPG

IT'S ALLLIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVE!

Thanks to all for the help, cam sensor wire was a bit frayed (replaced), I re-timed with a new belt, put in the missing dust cover, and went to fire her up and...well actually it did not sound great at first but it started right up the second time and blew an incredible amount of white smoke out the exhaust for about 15 seconds. Ever since then its started right up with no white smoke very smooth and been running good as far as I can tell. I've been driving it to work to prove to the wife its not going to blow up. The not great sounding first crank and smoke made me a little uneasy at first, not sure if that from all the starter fluid I sprayed in there that never got ignited or just the all the cranking when we were trying to figure out the problem, but everything seems fine. Might just go ahead though and pull an oil sample and send it off for testing and then throw some BG EPR in the crankcase for a bit and change the oil even though its not due yet.

Excellent!
The white smoke and hesitation does sound like unburned fuel in the chamber!
I once cranked on a BMW quite a few times while there was no spark and it ended up dumping fuel in the engine oil! So I think your idea of changing oil is a sound one!

IT'S ALLLIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVE!

Thanks to all for the help, cam sensor wire was a bit frayed (replaced), I re-timed with a new belt, put in the missing dust cover, and went to fire her up and...well actually it did not sound great at first but it started right up the second time and blew an incredible amount of white smoke out the exhaust for about 15 seconds. Ever since then its started right up with no white smoke very smooth and been running good as far as I can tell. I've been driving it to work to prove to the wife its not going to blow up. The not great sounding first crank and smoke made me a little uneasy at first, not sure if that from all the starter fluid I sprayed in there that never got ignited or just the all the cranking when we were trying to figure out the problem, but everything seems fine. Might just go ahead though and pull an oil sample and send it off for testing and then throw some BG EPR in the crankcase for a bit and change the oil even though its not due yet.

Probably just a little bit of dieseling and clearing out flooded cylinders.

Probably just a little bit of dieseling and clearing out flooded cylinders.
Excellent!
The white smoke and hesitation does sound like unburned fuel in the chamber!
I once cranked on a BMW quite a few times while there was no spark and it ended up dumping fuel in the engine oil! So I think your idea of changing oil is a sound one!
Awesome, I figured this was most likely the case. Will probably do this ASAP just to be safe. The weather has finally turned and we have a lot of trips planned for this truck this year and need her to make it, 600K by end of year! Very sick of sitting out in the cold working on this instead of being out enjoying it.

I wouldn't bother with the oil sample if only to address the white smoke. You have no worries there. That is classic un-burned fuel reaction.

Once it has cleared and the engine has 'relearned' idle (assuming you had disconnected the battery at some point) you should be running fine. So IF you want to put off an oil sample diagnosis until later.....you'll be just fine.

Good work!

Important part though.....right?

Critter Cover.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom