Do larger tires reduce suspension flex? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems that lifting a vehicle can reduce suspension flex. But what would the effect on suspension articulation be if you simply installed larger tires with stock suspension?

No effect but the tires have to fit the range of motion. For example a 35” tire with stock bump stops will hit the fender liners at full stuff. So one common mitigation is larger bump stops to limit up travel.

No effect but the tires have to fit the range of motion. For example a 35” tire with stock bump stops will hit the fender liners at full stuff. So one common mitigation is larger bump stops to limit up travel.
How about 32” or 33” tires? Would these tires hit the fender liner?

These are probably the best videos for learning about Toyota suspension. Dispels many false claims. This is just the first of many videos in his playlist.
(To be clear, everything tbisaacs has said is accurate, there’s just so much more in here than would be practical to type up.)

These are probably the best videos for learning about Toyota suspension. Dispels many false claims. This is just the first of many videos in his playlist.
(To be clear, everything tbisaacs has said is accurate, there’s just so much more in here than would be practical to type up.)

Thank you! I watched the videos and he did mention that lifts can alter articulation. Unfortunately I couldn’t tell if he mentioned specifically keeping stock suspension but large tires. The above posters believe that larger tires wouldn’t alter articulation

Thank you! I watched the videos and he did mention that lifts can alter articulation. Unfortunately I couldn’t tell if he mentioned specifically keeping stock suspension but large tires. The above posters believe that larger tires wouldn’t alter articulation

As folks mentioned, larger tires won't impact your suspension geometry or your vehicles articulation (although the metal in the way will). Lifting on IFS just makes it harder to compress, so you lose articulation because there just isn't enough weight to compress fully.

edit - the only limit on articulation is when the tires become physically too large to fully fit, i.e., fitting 37s-40s without actually giving them room to move. Too much lift is like swapping your shock for a solid metal rod - your vehicle simply can't compress it enough to articulate the A-arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom