Builds Do I need to buy a flat bill now? Chap79 Tacoma Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Upgraded to the heavy dakar springs. Wasn't a fun installation by myself. My old pack was totally flat due to constant weight of camper shell, plus an extra 200-300lbs of gear while working. So far seem nice, surprisingly compliant.

Did you get the "extra" leaf with them? I have a TRD Pro Taco w/ a SnugTop and whenever I actually load it up for camping the rear sags badly. Haven't dealt with it yet but you've got me thinking...it's my daily though so don't want anything too rough...it's a camping rig whereas the LX is for wheeling.

Did you get the "extra" leaf with them? I have a TRD Pro Taco w/ a SnugTop and whenever I actually load it up for camping the rear sags badly. Haven't dealt with it yet but you've got me thinking...it's my daily though so don't want anything too rough...it's a camping rig whereas the LX is for wheeling.
I got the Dakar HD package is, from Headstrong Offroad. 7 leafs, standard for the pack. The ride is better than it was - but that is comparing it to worn out factory leafs. Tougher jumping in and out each night at camp, but otherwise I like them. They aren't going to knock fillings loose by any means, which concerned me too.

Wanted to bring up the front bilsteins a click or two to level, and learned that our factory 6112s arent adjustable. I'll get new ones in spring when its time for new tires and set them appropriately.

Bumper/winch mount arrived today. At this time I want to keep the bumper low key so I opted for the Southern Style Off Road Slimline bumper. It replaces the center of the plastic bumper (black area) with a steel insert. I choose to have the universal winch cut outs and a 30” light bar slot.

Now to get it cleaned up and painted.
6E9D97D2-7F57-4F1E-BC30-8FAE3384FDD4.jpeg

60E799EE-F31B-43A9-B941-1F57E9D8CD1B.jpeg

I have the same bumper on mine, but got it Line-X'd (aluminum model.)
I've been happy with it so far. Nice choice!
1598993011293.png

Nice! How long did you have to wait for it?
FOREVER!!!
Not really. I ordered it on April 15th knowing that the shop was closed due to COVID-19 state mandate. They didn’t reopen until after Memorial Day. Don’t know how backed up they were but I feel they processed a custom fab order in an appropriate amount of time.

Long after my order and after I was notified that fabrication had begun did I find out that I could have just ordered a kit and welded it up myself. :meh: Would have saved a lot of time and some $$$.

Really?? I didn't know they did kits. I already have a light bar right below the grill so I'd go without the stinger. You still have to cut the painted part of the bumper for this one to fit right?

Wire wheeled, sanded, primed, sanded, and got the first coat of paint on the bumper insert. I decided to go with Rustoleum Truck Bed coating. It has a nice texture, is very durable, and is easy to touch up. I know I’m going to have to pull it off every couple of years and redo it due to the Midwest winters which is why I didn’t waste money on powder costing.

Two more coats to go

DB88425C-45D5-4D2F-97E5-68675EC3FA34.jpeg

I also ordered a light bar for the cut out. The cut out was made for a Ridged Industries 30”, but I just can’t justify that price for a light. So I divided to try a CaliRaisedLED light bar. We’ll see how it is once it gets here.

084D5847-CBC0-4995-A2EC-375FCE6E1044.jpeg

Not sure if you are still considering the leaf packs, but the last couple days ive noticed I do not have as much articulation in the rear side-to-side. Ive been lifting tires on some things I previously would have expected to have had both tires getting traction. Still a fan, just thought id share.

Not sure if you are still considering the leaf packs, but the last couple days ive noticed I do not have as much articulation in the rear side-to-side. Ive been lifting tires on some things I previously would have expected to have had both tires getting traction. Still a fan, just thought id share.
I would think that the HD Dakars would have less flexibility over your old leafs due to the much hirer load rating. @lasoundguy an add a leaf or possibly airbags might be a good option if the truck isn’t always loaded down.

I’m running the Ironman performance leafs and have been pretty happy with them so far. Have really gotten to get the truck off road like I used to but it was been filling the homestead duty pretty well. 40 bags of mulch, not even a problem.

I would think that the HD Dakars would have less flexibility over your old leafs due to the much hirer load rating. @lasoundguy an add a leaf or possibly airbags might be a good option if the truck isn’t always loaded down.

I’m running the Ironman performance leafs and have been pretty happy with them so far. Have really gotten to get the truck off road like I used to but it was been filling the homestead duty pretty well. 40 bags of mulch, not even a problem.
You are probably correct, just not something I had considered pre-purchase. I have a Snugtop on all the time, plus at work have another 300+ lbs in thr back when I travelling on these FS and BLM roads. I think it is still best for my application, but you are wise to offer those other options, as they may suit others better.

Truck is looking great by the way!

Thanks to you both for the info! I don't want to clutter up chap79's thread but may ping you guys when I finally do something about the back of the Taco...need to get the back of my 80-series up to snuff first, welded up the 4x4labs rear bumper and some add-ons and now it looks like a pre-runner lol.

Got the dual battery in this afternoon. Made the 1/0 cables and added the BlueSea 7622. Still need to wire up the remote switch and add a dual voltmeter.
72F1DE0E-A626-4A2D-B088-2BD904511297.jpeg
2F25F3C8-D0E2-4EA0-A1AD-0D5483F18CD7.jpeg
FE5A3278-0956-437A-84F5-1813871EF497.jpeg

Finally getting caught up on things. Got the fridge/jerry can slide rack complete. Now I just need to add the strap attachments, paint it, and mount it in the bed of the Tacoma.
B1049BA6-2598-4E04-95DF-4CE137512167.jpeg
932A5275-1662-48C0-84C3-6C7830136FEB.jpeg
6DA7FA8E-81AD-4D4C-A15C-660E3850B11B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom