Dmax450! Casper gets a duramax! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You ever post pics of your motor mounts Trevor?
Also, I'm running hydroboost with FZJ80 brakes front and rear with a 1.25" bore Master cylinder and it's a bit on the large side, 1.125" or maybe even 1" bore might be better for you.

You ever post pics of your motor mounts Trevor?
Also, I'm running hydroboost with FZJ80 brakes front and rear with a 1.25" bore Master cylinder and it's a bit on the large side, 1.125" or maybe even 1" bore might be better for you.

I haven’t finished the mounts up. They are just tack welded in place at the moment. I’m going to try and use the duramax hydro boost and master cylinder if I can. I know it’s probably a bit on the large side, but it should work fine. I figure with the extra weight it’s going to need it. Should be around 6500lbs

I haven’t finished the mounts up. They are just tack welded in place at the moment. I’m going to try and use the duramax hydro boost and master cylinder if I can. I know it’s probably a bit on the large side, but it should work fine. I figure with the extra weight it’s going to need it. Should be around 6500lbs

Not really how that works... bigger doesn't always mean better. you will get better pedal feel and more pressure to the calipers with a smaller MC.
you should be able to get a MC from a 1/2 ton that has a smaller bore and bolt right on to your hydrobooster.

Not really how that works... bigger doesn't always mean better. you will get better pedal feel and more pressure to the calipers with a smaller MC.
you should be able to get a MC from a 1/2 ton that has a smaller bore and bolt right on to your hydrobooster.
I’ll look into that. Might can use the factory master and make attaching the lines easier. The main benefit is the hydroboost.

So I am curious on how you got the front drive line around the Allison transmission lower pan and starter ???

interested to know how wide the Duramax is outside of V to outside of V if it's not hard please - proportionally looks about the size of a 1VD.

is this thing running yet? It's been a while since I've checked this thread!!! Happy New Year everyone!!

is this thing running yet? It's been a while since I've checked this thread!!! Happy New Year everyone!!
Not yet, still waiting on my adapter to come in. Also just been finishing up little odd and end brackets. I planned on updating the post but I’ve just been really busy. Most of the parts are done and are waiting to go to powder coating!

here are some pictures of what I’ve done recently. I built a custom 4” snorkel as my cheap ebay one was way to small. This goes to a 4.5” Donaldson air box. I also got both intercooler pipes made and ran to the water to air intercooler. Working on the mounts for the dual batteries now. I had to put both batteries driver side as the intercooler and air box take up all the space on the passenger side. This dmax pulls so much air I’m not sure if what I have will be enough honestly.

098F30A5-1EC4-4A0B-8793-F05D64AC6AF9.jpeg

41105931-5D7C-44AE-BD9D-38E88796D541.jpeg

935A3369-44D9-497E-B589-3EBFFD1D4A12.jpeg

F28F9AF0-0E58-4334-97C6-1A0E0DB72B50.jpeg

3075BF6A-5414-4A2C-9FCC-781997BBB9A6.jpeg

You sir, have amazing fabrication skills, nice job on making it all look so elegant.

Don't forget, you might be making multiple sets of all these things if your conversion is a hit!

You sir, have amazing fabrication skills, nice job on making it all look so elegant.

Don't forget, you might be making multiple sets of all these things if your conversion is a hit!
Thanks man that means a lot! Good motivation to keep going I guess haha.

I’ve been really far behind on posting recently, life just gets busy. Mainly just trying to finish up some more small brackets and stuff before I go to powder coating.

I don’t think I’ll be selling any kits. This swap has been a massive pain to complete. I can’t wait to take it for a drive! Basically waiting on my adapter, driveshafts, some hoses, and just wiring it all up. So definitely on the short rows

That is one h*ll of a story right there! I hope you keep that truck for life!!!!

That is one h*ll of a story right there! I hope you keep that truck for life!!!!
maybe...haha you never know! Im one of those people that get bored if im not working on something. If its not what i expected it to be or i dont like it after the swap, probably going to list it for sale! But with 650ftlbs of torque at my disposal….i cant see why i wouldn't like it!

So I know I’ve been slacking....been busy working on this damn truck. I’ve basically just been doing odd and end stuff. But I do have some updates for you. I recently finished up(kinda) the new center console. It houses the kilduff a1000 shifter. I could have used the factory shifter, but being I’m going to be running a twin stick, I decided to just fab up a new console that’s custom. I loved the way it looked without the switch setup...but after trying to find a home for the switch controller, it felt right being there. It’s nice because when I’m driving I can just move my hand from the shifter down to the switch.
2B4A8DD2-4D4E-4EFB-BCCB-503E31FAD570.jpeg

20F928CC-5C50-46C8-AC99-656F9FD51FAC.jpeg

I’m still waiting on this adapter to come in. I was suppose to finally ship Friday, not sure it it did or not. Once I get the adapter in, I can build the mount for the twin stick setup. Also have some pilot lights coming in for glow plug, check engine, low oil that stuff. I would use the factory stuff in the gauge cluster but I just don’t want to mess with it.

Let’s see what else....I made a removable section for my bike rack on the rear. The bumper is setup to hold 2 mountain bikes. However the outside mount sticks out past the side of my truck...I don’t like that for going down trails and stuff. So I just welded some 1” cold rolled inside and put a pin through it. And yes, that anal bead looking thing is actually part of my sink. I don’t think I’ve shown it yet, but the truck has a 16 gal on board water tank and pump...as well as a heat exchanger to have a constant supply of hot water! I’ll post about this setup later as it’s not done yet!
F7449179-6B63-48BB-82E8-FEE5AEC69BB8.jpeg

Today I was able to get a few things done with the brakes as well. With doing this swap, I needed all the room I could get underhood. So I deleted abs and the rear lspv. I was able to get the front brake lines mocked up using some guides on here, and then got the rear put back together as well! Should stop a lot better now. Back when the truck was running with the ls, the truck pulled to the right some when braking which was annoying. A lot of people online suggested it was the abs module acting up and sending more fluid one side vs the other. So I deleted all that crap, and also installed a willwood 1 1/8” master cylinder. Mainly so I can run remote res, as it’s very tight to the intercooler piping.

72B7213D-373C-4AD1-BD2D-9B51E65D2620.jpeg
141D271C-E45E-4537-8564-D620D476EA33.jpeg

I completed this stuff last weekend actually, but who cares. I finished up the remote oil filter mount. The factory duramax filter actually points backwards. This would cause it to hit the firewall....and that’s a no no. So what I did was made a custom plate that goes on top of the heat exchanger and has lines running to the remote filter. It is a bit more complicated then I would like, but it’s what it requires so...
AD0D7A93-9C50-41F5-8AE1-AF600724D558.jpeg
C4DA6278-C833-4FE0-89AE-2621D086A9C3.jpeg

Cool thing is the remote filter head has a 1/8” npt port that allows me to adapt to the factory Toyota oil sender. Factory oil sender uses a 1/8” bspt for some damn reason. So you will need an adapter when doing any swap using those. You can pickup the adapter on Amazon. 1/8” npt male to 1/8” bspt female!

I fabbed up this little tank to have a place to fill the coolant for the water to air setup. It’s the highest point in the whole system and will maybe help with getting the air out. Also built a mount for the Bosh pump. This pump comes on the Ford Lightning and works great for water to air setups!
F08551AC-CD3C-44F2-A8BF-99174A6F9EEE.jpeg

I also have another little suprise coming...I guess I can go ahead and post it. But I managed to get a complete set of quad headlights for my lx. I’m pretty damn excited about these. They are getting very hard to find over seas...and very pricey. There isn’t a lot of options for the lx450 headlights. All the aftermarket lights require changing over to a fzj80 grille and light assembly. I figure if I’m going to switch, why not do something unique. I’m going to buy a nice set of 4x6 led lights and it should be super bright! These are a few weeks out, shipping from Australia. But I can’t wait to get them in and wire them up. Most likely will be building my own harness to run them! Stay tuned!
AABB2ABB-1637-43FB-AACE-C16A35167A68.jpeg

Then just for fun I picked up a set of Cadillac eldorado horns. If you have never heard these, just google it. I’m sure afterwards you will be buying a set. They sound just like a train horn. There is 4 horns in a set, each have a different note to them. Should be a lot of fun blowing these loud ass things at people hahah!
CB256CB0-8CB5-4281-8313-D2FFC5DFD9A0.png

Alright, till next time! I have parts coming in everyday. At this point I have no idea how much money I have into this. I guess it really doesn’t matter anymore haha. $500 here, $2500 there....and then all the small $20-30 parts in between add up fast!

I’m a big fan of LBZ’s - just always thought the height was a non-starter w/o a good beercan+ tall body lift!

It’s great to see you got a motor in, and all the solutions so far.

I bought a Tundra to tow, but now an 80 w/ a LBZ & maybe different axles to get the brakes uprated......I could still see an 80 as a single vehicle solution.

Great use of time with all this ‘Rona BS -we’re living in!

I’m a big fan of LBZ’s - just always thought the height was a non-starter w/o a good beercan+ tall body lift!

It’s great to see you got a motor in, and all the solutions so far.

I bought a Tundra to tow, but now an 80 w/ a LBZ & maybe different axles to get the brakes uprated......I could still see an 80 as a single vehicle solution.

Great use of time with all this ‘Rona BS -we’re living in!
If I wanted to cut the frame up I probably could of gotten it to clear the hood. But I kinda like the way it looks. Makes it look like something else is going on. I want to take it to a body shop eventually as I’m not a body man. Let them fix my terrible body work haha!

It’s slowly getting to where it needs to be. Just spending a lot of money on this thing. Starting to add up!

Had a few questions about the mountian bike setup I have on my rear bumper. So the rear bumper started out as a kit from northwest trail innovations. I can’t remember his name right off, but the owner of the company (1 man show) was awesome. His customer service was excellent, and everytime I sent him a message he got right back with me. There was a few parts left out the kit, and he shipped them out the next day to me!

Anyways, I put the rear bumper together and decided to make my own custom touches. My main thing I wanted was to haul my mountian bikes around, without using a hitch mount. So I come up with a plan on how I wanted to do it.

my requirements was as followed...

Needs to hold 2 full-size mountian bikes

Swingout still needs to function

Needs to be quickly attached/detached

Alright, first thing here is the lower mount. I purchased these offline on a bike shop online. I can’t remember what site it was right off. These work great and when ratcheted down, they hold the bike very still!

583BA98C-DDD5-47B3-BB8E-0A8AF30F7461.jpeg

I had some 1/2” tabs left over from another project a while back. These just to happen to work out perfectly with these tire mounts. Once the height of the bike was set,

AA968407-3B6E-4675-A156-131ED73C918B.jpeg

So this part here was the key to everything working. In case your not familiar with mountian bikes. They use a large bolt (thru-axle) that threads between the 2 forks and holds the tire in place. Basically what I did was figure out the thru axle diameter, and got a guy on eBay to turn me down some delrin bushings. The center hole is where the thru axle rides. The outside of the bushing is stepped. This allows the bushing to ride inside a 1” DOM tube.
(There is a reason I used dom. It doesn’t have a seam running on the inside, meaning the inside is perfectly round)

I simply slid the bushings into the pipe, bolted it on the bike...and then tack welded the part on where my bike fit be

4E17592B-7CDC-4202-A296-ADF15CC77C01.jpeg

Here is a better shot of the lower mount, and also the upper mount. I’d like to note... the blue bike (outside bike) would mount with the handle bars sticking out the other way. However it stuck out past the side of the truck roughly 1’. I didn’t like that as I thought it looked tacky. Mounting it this way does have the same effect, but it sticks straight up, not out.

also, the end section where the fork is mounted actually pivots. This made it a lot easier to mount the bike and then also fit bikes of different sizes.

27F218F4-CF36-4A30-BF76-451D58195150.jpeg

Lastly is a picture of both bikes mounted up. The rear tires sit about flush with the bottom of the rear bumper. I don’t really intend on going Offroad much with these mounted. Most of our trails are state parts abs are well maintained. If I’m dragging my rear bumper I have issues haha.

One goal of mine was to not have the bike tire riding inside the cab. I did this for a few reasons... primarily because I don’t want a large dirty bike tire inside my truck. Also because I wanted to access everything needed to haul my bikes from the rear of my truck without opening the swingout.

So basically I just got some threaded rod that’s about the same diameter as my wheel spindle, and welded a threaded union on the tire carrier. I then drilled a hole through that so it threads on and a pin goes though it. I think this setup is really clean and allows the bike tire to mount flush to my 35” spare!

7FB9EC84-A65C-4644-9AA9-F9F0DB8D88C1.jpeg

Sorry for the long drawn out post. This stuff could easily be explained in a video. I purchased a nice camera setup to start recording stuff, but I don’t know if people are interested in that or not!? Let me know!

Wow 😳, that's some serious creativity fella!! I have a rear bumper from NWTI for the 4th gen and he makes a decent product with a lot of BEEFAGE!

Last edited:
update for today.

So I started removing all the stuff in the engine bay that needs to go to powder coating. Stuff like intercooler piping, intake, brackets, snorkel....that stuff. It’s a great feeling to finally get close to wrapping up this build. It’s been a long time coming and a lot of time, money and hard work.

My black box adapter should arrive Thursday next week. This will allow me to install it in the truck to measure driveshafts. So the plan is while the parts and rear bumper are off getting powder coated, my driveshafts can be shortened/lengthened. While that stuff is going on I’m going to do a top end rebuild on this lbz just to make sure it’s in good shape and ready to go, as I don’t want to pull it back out.

so things are getting very close. The only parts left to buy at this point is new front coil springs and the tune for the ecu!

Here is some pictures from today of the engine bay after removing all the intercoolers, filter housings, piping and s***.
82C3F04D-5BDF-499A-9768-47E08DC86787.jpeg

It looks really weird having all this room. I’ve been struggling trying to find room to mount stuff.

Also got the rear bumper basically finished and ready to go to powder coating as well. Really happy how it turned out. I feel like a rear bumper should be like a Swiss Army knife, and have multiple functions. Also added a port to connect air so I can air my tires up after wheeling.
5013A1FA-19F6-4F23-A7DD-CBA306244FCC.jpeg
5F0E8D7E-4B91-48D1-BB97-BA7294C4F463.jpeg

Just a small update. I’m going to do a video of putting the truck back together I think. I bought that camera setup and haven’t even used it yet so..

I’m thinking in about 3 weeks we will have a running driving truck!

I’m a serious LBZ whore, so a video of all that happens would be version of Prozhub or wherever else!

Seriously LOVE seeing your LBZ in & how the hood fix turns out if you don’t hockey puck/ body lift.

Mega -respect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom