Dissappointed with my new Skyjacker leaf springs! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The thing that sucks is even in the best circumstances, it will still take a while.for the replacement to get there....🤬

20 years ago my skyjacker springs came with thicker bushings to make the same width as a stock springs and bushings set
They may still. I already had new Energy Suspension bushings. It wasn't a big deal.

The thing that sucks is even in the best circumstances, it will still take a while.for the replacement to get there....🤬

Well....at least you have the back springs...contact skyjacker, get the correct match sorted and verify shipment....then do the rear springs...then when the front match shows up, do the front. It’ll take a couple of weekends to get-r-done anyway. This way you get a weekend off😎

I have tried that before with many companies and 99% of the time I will be the losing side.
It's not because you can't force them that they will not do the right thing. I already had a wrong FJ40 part sent by a US seller and this seller made it right and sent me the correct one at his cost (and let me keep the wrong part).

In the other hand I had issues with local (to me) sellers that never answered and except willing to bring them to court I can't really do s*** either even if law is on my side.

I went through the whole Skyjackers web site and couldn't find an email contact for them, the only thing they have is a phone number, my english is not that good and I don't I can explain to them by phone what happened.

Here are the 4 of them, the rear ones have more arc into them.

IMG_20210714_032856.jpg

IMG_20210714_032847.jpg

IMG_20210714_032836.jpg
1626398111229.jpeg
I think this is only positive thing. The lower one is longer. Now you can get rid of the cruiser lean. Install the lowest spring to the right front and you’ll have perfectly leveled 40. Will not happen if the springs are the same height.

I went through the whole Skyjackers web site and couldn't find an email contact for them, the only thing they have is a phone number, my english is not that good and I don't I can explain to them by phone what happened.
Ive messaged them through their facebook page twice with questions and they got back to me quickly. Once it was with with a technical question and again about availability (one of the L20s were showing on back order.) Worth a shot

I too purchased a 4 inch lift kit from skyjacker, and this is what the rear looks like. Springs are the same length. WTF. Do I need longer shackles? I don't have any of the body on yet, but still, it seems like it won't settle into a decent shackle angle, and I didn't want big shackles because I was trying not to change the castor.

tempImagetcP9D2.png

I too purchased a 4 inch lift kit from skyjacker, and this is what the rear looks like. Springs are the same length. WTF. Do I need longer shackles? I don't have any of the body on yet, but still, it seems like it won't settle into a decent shackle angle, and I didn't want big shackles because I was trying not to change the castor.

View attachment 2766660
You need some weight on that thing man! The springs were designed for the weight of the body, and drivetrain, INCLUDING the top. Don't get all flustered until you have it all loaded up as she is going to be driving down the road.

Also, caster refers to the angle of the imaginary line drawn between the centers of the upper & lower knuckle bearing when looking at them from a profile view. What you meant to say is you don't want your pinion angle to change. Pinion angle is easily adjusted with steel shims if necessary. Way less work using shims than cutting off and rewelding to adjust the spring mounting pads.

thanks, you are right, I meant pinion angle. Thanks for reassuring me. I thought it would improve with weight. When the frame was jacked up and I was attaching the axle to the springs, there was no weight on it at all, but the shackle angle didn't change that much once I added jack stands under the axle and lowered the frame. These springs are stiff!! Should the pinion point towards the e-brake drum, such that lines drawn perpendicular to the pinion and drum are parallel?

:facepalm:

Kamaro, I hope your problem gets resolved, and not to derail this thread, but have any Skyjacker 4" guys taken the longest leaf out when they're new? Wondering the lift this would give and maybe if it would give a longer leaf and possibly better ride? Feel free to PM me, so not to derail the thread! Thanks

EDIT: I believe removing the longest leaf, below the main leaf of course,, is what the OME guys do if they're too stiff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom