Disable TPMS Light or System? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new set of wheels and tires that are registered (TPMS) in my vehicle, but I want to use a set of steelies with winter tires starting around December each year.

Because it is a bit of a pain to reprogram the vehicle to sensors whenever I swap wheels and tires, is there a way to completely disable the TPMS system, or at least disable the dummy light during the winter?

I would prefer to leave one set registered in the vehicle, which are on the vehicle for 9 months out of the year anyway, and not worry about paying the $ to register the other ones once a year. Thanks for any help!

I searched and saw no definitive answer for the 200.

I can't find any way to disable it.

You could get aftermarket tpms that are cloned to your main sensors. Then when you swap wheels, the vehicle will have no idea the wheels are different.

"Reprogramming" isn't difficult with Techstream (or Carista, so I hear). You just enter the code from the sensors into five little boxes on the screen and hit ok.

You could also throw all five sensors into a pressurized container and pump it up to 33psi and carry that around with you. That's what I'm doing currently...

If I am not mistaken TPMS is federally mandated for new cars after 2008? I believe. I don’t think there is an easy way to disable it. @CharlieS is spot on with your options. I ended up getting a second set of sensors for my other wheels/tires and use Carista to program the sensors when I swap wheels. The easiest/cheapest option is to use a pressurized container like out of PCV pipe and keep it inside the car.

If I am not mistaken TPMS is federally mandated for new cars after 2008? I believe. I don’t think there is an easy way to disable it. @CharlieS is spot on with your options. I ended up getting a second set of sensors for my other wheels/tires and use Carista to program the sensors when I swap wheels. The easiest/cheapest option is to use a pressurized container like out of PCV pipe and keep it inside the car.
The downside of this hack is that you lose the ability to monitor pressure from the cab, which might be nice offroad. I'm planning on reinstalling the correct sensors now that we are getting more back to normal business in my area.

The downside of this hack is that you lose the ability to monitor pressure from the cab, which might be nice offroad. I'm planning on reinstalling the correct sensors now that we are getting more back to normal business in my area.
That is what led me to cough up the extra money for a second set of sensors. Its nice to see real time PSI when wheeling. Airing down to 15 Psi when the tires are hot i have noticed will drop the PSI nearly single digits on the trail. I start getting nervous below 12 Psi so its nice to see Live Psi .

Last edited:
I think I'll try getting the Carista system and reprogramming - only $30 for the system and that includes a free month.

But any cheap way to read the sensor IDs in wheels that have old tpms installed?

I've read here that tire shops can do it. Like Discount tire?

I had mine out, so I just wrote down the numbers from the tpms on a piece of paper and left it in the glovebox with my manuals, plus took iphone pictures of them for future reference.

Will one of the Autel systems scan and tell you IDs of installed sensors?

I can't find any way to disable it.

You could get aftermarket tpms that are cloned to your main sensors. Then when you swap wheels, the vehicle will have no idea the wheels are different.

"Reprogramming" isn't difficult with Techstream (or Carista, so I hear). You just enter the code from the sensors into five little boxes on the screen and hit ok.

You could also throw all five sensors into a pressurized container and pump it up to 33psi and carry that around with you. That's what I'm doing currently...
Your tire guy should be able to program the newest sensors to the prior ones, Discount Tire did mine. You could potentially get interference both sets were in very close proximity as in parked next to the old ones but once on the road you're good to go. Personally I detest changing any of the stock architecture be it electrical or otherwise to match add-ons. All my added electrical mods (except winch) are on the second battery. CanBus systems are notorious for glitches when messed with.

I kept thinking I would get the ebay/Amazon adapter obd2 wire and then do the techstream download and somehow find a burner laptop … all this to program some denso tpms sensors… then I called around and found out discount tire will install the sensors( that I buy and bring) and they’ll program them… all for ten bucks a tire…. Almost cost neutral and less stressful than trying to outsmart the hackers… plus it’d take me a while to figure out how to break the bead, and then reseat to tire.

Hope this helps someone, I just didn’t have confidence in my abilities to do all this via diy

I ordered the Autel TS408 and Carista to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it all goes, maybe I can rent out the Autel or Carista to you all on the cheap.

you can code 2 sets of tires on my 2016... and when you swap them for the other set you just press the TMPS button that is under the dash to "reset" to the new ones.
The button us under the dash just behind the hood release on mine.
I'm not sure if the 2015 has it.. but likely has it.

you can code 2 sets of tires on my 2016... and when you swap them for the other set you just press the TMPS button that is under the dash to "reset" to the new ones.
The button us under the dash just behind the hood release on mine.
I'm not sure if the 2015 has it.. but likely has it.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Town Fair Tire will read or reprogram for free. But, it's best if you flip the tech $20 for his time since he's not getting paid to do it. Once you have all the codes written down, Carista is super easy to swap them out, I do it twice a year.

I can double check in the AM, but Carista will tell you the codes that are currently programmed.

I can double check in the AM, but Carista will tell you the codes that are currently programmed.
Yes it will, and it will let you change the registered numbers in the system. But if you have tires mounted on wheels with the sensors installed (and don't know their IDs), a place like Town Fair or Discount Tire will read the codes for you and register them for free.

Disabling the TPMS system to shut off the light is a no-no. A tire places would get in big trouble if they got caught doing this.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

There is some simple procedure before pressing the TPMS reset button, it's in the owner's manual. Something like press the button to start the car without pressing on the gas peddle.

Yes it will, and it will let you change the registered numbers in the system. But if you have tires mounted on wheels with the sensors installed (and don't know their IDs), a place like Town Fair or Discount Tire will read the codes for you and register them for free.

Disabling the TPMS system to shut off the light is a no-no. A tire places would get in big trouble if they got caught doing this.
Yes, sorry, i was responding to a way to read the sensor values in order to duplicate them into a clone set. But yes, if you don't know the code, a tire shop should be able to scan them. When i ended up with knock off Denso's my tire shop was able to retrieve the codes with a scanner near each wheel. I was then able to use Carista to enter the codes and all was well, other than my knock off sensors. Hopefully they last at least one tire change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom