TPMS sensors - best/cheap source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW I found it easier to get a Autel TPMS tool (MaxiTPMS TS508). It was under $125 and I've used it on many other cars. I can walk around to each wheel and read each sensor. Then plug into OBD port and program the LX570. Works great and way more convenient than the many visits to discount tire to have them get things right. Also works on my other cars. I swap out wheels twice a year when I switch to a dedicated snow setup. It also reads battery life, etc and apparently can program the programmable TPMS sensors although I've never done it.
Do you have to buy Autel specific sensors for this tool to work? Or cannot program any sensor? On Amazon I see them for like $250 but I see one for below $100 called TS508K? Not sure what the K means…

Do you have to buy Autel specific sensors for this tool to work? Or cannot program any sensor? On Amazon I see them for like $250 but I see one for below $100 called TS508K? Not sure what the K means…
I bought a TS508 off ebay back in 2019 for $110. I've used it at least 2x a year on my own cars as well as helping others troubleshoot their tpms lights. On the autel website, I only see TS508 and TS508WF, with the WF being able to get updates over wifi. I believe it can only program autel specific sensors but they do make universal ones that will work with the 200-series. It can read all sensors though and then program the 200 via OBD port. It saves me just a step or two vs Carista with no guessing or wondering what the actual sensor ID is for each wheel. I don't remember what data carista gives on the wheel sensors - but the Autel does show the battery level of each sensor. This is nice as it helps troubleshoot when things inevitably go sideways with TPMS sensors. More info about what it can do in the instruction manual on their website under the downloads tab.

Happy to report all 5 of the Denso sensors I ordered from Amazon were self-installed and they're working without issue.
IMG_8185.jpeg

Happy to report all 5 of the Denso sensors I ordered from Amazon were self-installed and they're working without issue. View attachment 3566900
Very cool, nicely done utilizing the hi-lift to break the bead. Never crossed my mind to use it in this fashion.

Happy to report all 5 of the Denso sensors I ordered from Amazon were self-installed and they're working without issue. View attachment 3566900
Aaaaannndddd... now I won't be selling the farm jack I've had in my shed for years.

I have five of these installed on my 13 lx. Works well. Discount tire cloned them without any issues. Has worked well for one year.
These aren’t clones.. do you mean they programmed the car for them?

what's the part number for these? Are they different for the post/pre face lift variants of the 200?

what's the part number for these? Are they different for the post/pre face lift variants of the 200?
This one is denso 550-0103, and yes the part numbers changed a few times over the 200-series production cycle. IIRC there was a change in 14 or 15, and another in 16. So you’ll need to do your research.. other than the above part confirmed working for all 200s from 08-13.

The EVO is selling at a reduced price on Amazon now (Carista EVO on Amazon) so returning it should be no problem if you are not satisfied. At US$56 I think it's at least worth a try...

HTH

I’ll probably give the new one a go and pass the old one on to a friend.

So this confirms the Carista app works with third party adapters?

Also no techstream can’t read codes, other than what was already programmed into the vehicle. But as long as the user has a high quality adapter (VCx nano, etc. MiniVCI will not do this job) yes it’ll program known codes into the vehicle easily.

And by all means get both.. I’m just of the belief that if someone is having to choose between the two tools a diagnostic one that can also program TPMS is a better jump-off point.
I tested the new Carista EVO and it doesn’t seem to connect to Network E on my LX. Anyone else tried this, seen this issue? It seemed like it worked fine for scanning in the Carista app, but when I used OBD Fusion, it said the dongle wasn’t communicating with the ECUs. Went back to the old Carista dongle and everything was fine again.

It does not work with the Veepeak I have. I haven't tried with the OBDLinkMX. Of course it works with the Carista dongle.

FWIW, I plugged the Veepeak into my LX today but couldn't get it to pair with my iphone. Then I plugged in the OBDLinkMX and it paired fine. I downloaded a free obd app (will get obd fusion once I sort something out with my appleid) and it required the BT pair set up first before it could find it in the app. Lots of things to monitor - I am troubleshooting some sort of battery drain or possible alternator issue - I'll check tomorrow on the tpms sensors with the OBDLink dongle.

FWIW, I plugged the Veepeak into my LX today but couldn't get it to pair with my iphone. Then I plugged in the OBDLinkMX and it paired fine. I downloaded a free obd app (will get obd fusion once I sort something out with my appleid) and it required the BT pair set up first before it could find it in the app. Lots of things to monitor - I am troubleshooting some sort of battery drain or possible alternator issue - I'll check tomorrow on the tpms sensors with the OBDLink dongle.
If you have a BLE dongle, there is not an official pairing process like regular Bluetooth. Just launch the app and tell it you are connecting to a BLE device and it will connect automatically when you tell the app to connect to the vehicle. Change the setting under “Settings > Preferences > Communications > Communications Type”

IMG_7260.png

Hi All, excuse my ignorance, I have only just bought my first Landcruiser and it’s a 2019 Sahara (200 series). I have searched high and low and there is no mention of a TPMS system in this car.
Can someone PLEASE tell me if the 2019 Sahara has TPMS? I really didn’t want to add an external monitor with Bluetooth sensors.

Sorry to go off track a little here.

Hi All, excuse my ignorance, I have only just bought my first Landcruiser and it’s a 2019 Sahara (200 series). I have searched high and low and there is no mention of a TPMS system in this car.
Can someone PLEASE tell me if the 2019 Sahara has TPMS? I really didn’t want to add an external monitor with Bluetooth sensors.

Sorry to go off track a little here.
Attach a picture of your valve stems.

If they have an aluminum hex collar around them then they are TPMS, if basic rubber type then most likely not.

I’ll probably give the new one a go and pass the old one on to a friend.

So this confirms the Carista app works with third party adapters?

Also no techstream can’t read codes, other than what was already programmed into the vehicle. But as long as the user has a high quality adapter (VCx nano, etc. MiniVCI will not do this job) yes it’ll program known codes into the vehicle easily.

And by all means get both.. I’m just of the belief that if someone is having to choose between the two tools a diagnostic one that can also program TPMS is a better jump-off point.
Are you saying is I know the codes from my TPMS sensors, I cant punch those into techstream with miniVCI?

Are you saying is I know the codes from my TPMS sensors, I cant punch those into techstream with miniVCI?
Correct, miniVCI appears incapable of doing TPMS or Live Data with the Techstream software. I and others couldn’t get it to work for those functions. When we moved up to a VCXNano adapter, everything started working correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom