Diode Dynamics 9005 and 9006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided that the stock headlamps, high and low beam, really are just horrible so I researched several different options and decided to try the Diode Dynamics. So, my first attempt at installing, removed the battery, removed the old bulbs and tried to insert the new ones--no go on the install because of the o-ring was obstructing the bulb from properly seating. Removed that, got the bulbs in, all four, and...nothing. So I pulled the bulbs, ran a direct lead from the battery posts to the +/- leads from the new bulbs and they had power. So the bulbs are functioning but once I plug them into the wiring harness, nothing. I installed the old bulbs and the powered right up.

I will next attempt to see if I am actually getting 12 volts going to the headlamps. I hear that sometimes the actual voltage going to the incandescent bulbs doesn't need 12 volts and could actually function at lower voltages whereas the LED needs 12.

Would love to get some feedback from anyone that has gone through this process or at least is smarter than I am.

Thank you in advance.

So LED bulbs cant be used in our stock housings because you will blind everyone on the road. The manufacturer specifically lists that these are not street legal in the USA for headlights.
All manufacturers are required to say that about LED. As for blinding others, is this from experience? If you do have that experience, did you install the same bulb and how did you get power to the bulbs?

Nice way of saying I'm going to do it anyway. But really, if you haven't experienced someone with LED's in their car driving at you, it's awful. Would be more so with a truck that's higher up.

But, to answer your question, several threads here on LEDs and people have had to use a relay with them, again, because they're not designed for this use.

you absolutely have to be smarter than your tools. Things like polarity and having the headlights on instead of daytime running lights on come to mind.

Last edited:
you absolutely have to be smarter than your tools. Things like polarity and having the headlights on instead of daytime running lights on come to mind.
I double checked the polarity and went through low and high beam and nada. Like I mentioned, when I tried the new bulbs, checking polarity, nothing but when the original bulb just barely made contact, not fully seated, I had light. Last weekend, driving into Death Valley, no street lights, my visibility was so poor it made it difficult to see the road. I need to test them to see if they are a go or send them back.

So LED bulbs cant be used in our stock housings because you will blind everyone on the road. The manufacturer specifically lists that these are not street legal in the USA for headlights.
Technically correct. There are a few Led bulbs out there that mimic halogen light patterns (GTR, Morimoto, Diode Dynamics) that work well in reflector housings and have good cutoffs that don't blind people. Typically they are $200-$250 per set. The cheap amazon led bulbs are the issue and people that don't care. Headlights are https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-2stroke-2-stroke-9005-led-bulbs?quantity=1

IMG_3662.jpeg

IMG_3663.jpeg

I assume you tried to flip the connector? If you do get them to work, park your truck on the street with your lights on and hope in a sedan and face your truck and you’ll understand. You’re putting a led bulb in a reflecting bowl and it will produce a blinding light to oncoming drivers and thats a fact. Do a proper retrofit and you’ll have fantastic output with a sharp cutoff.

F326D4AE-466C-46FD-91EE-6D449675F2A7.jpeg

F15F742E-FDA8-4D5B-AEAC-69A0B88A8634.jpeg

E7569E26-12E5-461F-BB4C-C72E72E7094F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom