Diff questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe you have to grind it for an aftermarket locked carrier, but not for the factory locker. 529 Sierra Gear install But in your scenario, with an aftermarket locker, I can see why you might be wary of grinding the frigging tooth, that's kind of scary. Probably sounds worse than it is, but damn. Another reason to avoid ARB/Harrops... :flipoff2:

Seeing as Toyota doesn't make a c-clip locker, true... nor does Harrop. So neither will require grinding as it's only needed on c-clip retained semi-floats. ARB makes both and their c-clip only version does require grinding. If Harrop or Toyota made a c-clip locker... it too would need grinding which is a non-issue imo.

There are many great parts right from Toyota for this diff. Factory gears include 3.90, 4.10, 4.30, 4.556, 4.875, and there may be a 4.625 hiding somewhere, it's been some years since I searched through it all. Some of the 2nd gen Tundras also use this diff... which gives access to an input flange that will support a 1350 U joint. The Tundra w/ 9.5" also has a great housing to build some custom width HD stock appearing axles. The tubes are nearly 3.5" in OD. I'm using them in my BJ73 project.

Last edited:
I'll try and remember to measure when I'm back in town and at the shop. We've got all the 27, 29 and 32 spline pinion shaft variants there. I've also got a ton of 30 spline axle shafts and a couple loose 32 shafts I can measure. Major diameter on the rear shafts is 33mm vs 34.8mm for the 27 vs 32 spline.

Well, both matter but I'll measure the minor ;)

Measurements? :clap:

What year did Toyota switch from 29 to 32 spline pinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom