Center Diff Question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 FJ80 locking center diff only. 207K miles +/- when I got it, about 213K now. Very poorly maintained before I got it. Had a terrible whine on acceleration and a lot of clunking and banging on shifting and turning.

Front and rear tires were different brands and the rear tires were far more worn than the front. Significant difference in size. The front tires were nearly new so I put the same size and brand on the back and noticed an improvement.

Front axle has been rebuilt, new axles, bearings, and knuckles. Shop said front diff looked fine. Rear diff has been disassembled, bearings at wheel ends replaced. Shop said otherwise it looked fine.

Put it up on a lift, removed the rear driveshaft, ran it up to about 60 mph, and the whine from the transfer case was unmistakable.

I recently found a transfer case in good enough condition from a wrecking yard and had it installed by a local transmission shop that I've had a good history with. The terrible whine on acceleration got a little better. Most noticeably the "wind-up" in the driveline went away.

The same day I got it back with the replacement T-case I put four new tires on it, again the whine got a little better. Most noticeably, between the new T-case and the new tires, it just runs better, like less bound up, going down the road. Accelerates better, runs smoother.

But the whine is still there, bad enough that a long trip is out of the question.

What's the chances that there is some damage to the center diff as well? And how does this get diagnosed?

Thanks!

What's the chances that there is some damage to the center diff as well? And how does this get diagnosed?
The center differential is inside the transfer case. If you replaced the transfer case, then you replaced the center diff.
FWIW, the transfer cases on the 80 Series are extremely durable. Unless it has been run without gear oil, it is most likely fine. That goes for the first one you removed as well. There are also rebuild kits available for these.
I also would not trust any shop that does not specialize in Land Cruisers to diagnose anything.

The center differential is inside the transfer case. If you replaced the transfer case, then you replaced the center diff.
FWIW, the transfer cases on the 80 Series are extremely durable. Unless it has been run without gear oil, it is most likely fine. That goes for the first one you removed as well. There are also rebuild kits available for these.
I also would not trust any shop that does not specialize in Land Cruisers to diagnose anything.
Thank you very much!
Everything else about this vehicle besides the gas mileage is fantastic.
I guess I just have an extra transfer case now and I will wear earplugs and not worry about it until something breaks.
I appreciate the help.

Thank you very much!
Everything else about this vehicle besides the gas mileage is fantastic.
I guess I just have an extra transfer case now and I will wear earplugs and not worry about it until something breaks.
I appreciate the help.
I didn't mean for you to ignore the noise. Certainly look into it, but go to a reputable shop or hook up with your local Land Cruiser club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom