Diff questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No it won't be. It is 8 lug, it has a 1410 pinion yoke, width is 68.5", doesn't have an emergency brake, etc.

I am not building a buggy, I am just trying to let people know if you are going to regear and add a locker, you can add significant strength at little to no cost, just by buying the right parts. And it is what I will be doing with my trucks. I don't think I will ever need a Dana80 unless it is a 1 ton diesel. Wheeling that hard doesn't interest me. I am a wuss I guess. lol.

Say WHAT? Dynatrac will make it custom order. For 12 grand it will absolutely be bolt-in.

I am just trying to let people know if you are going to regear and add a locker, you can add significant strength at little to no cost, just by buying the right parts..... Wheeling that hard doesn't interest me. I am a wuss I guess. lol.

I like the "value build" -train of thought myself. I'm less a trail jockey & more about mild trails & fun with buddies nowdays. Like you, my ego has no need to posture.

Frankly, unless my nephew co-pilots & is my spotter/CEO of rock manicure, I'm fine running fire/access roads when me & my "salt-n-pepper hair"-age buddies want to do a July-Sept bike thing.

Keep thinking like this, it lets me spend $$$ on the boat & bike. I'm cool owning my age, and what my 80's duty is nowdays.

Some of us been here a few days, we ain't the yahoos we were back when.

Building a Super 80...I like it! :cool:

You come up with this now...right after I do Harrops and Cryo treated gears in my diff's!!! I am hoping my new setup and 80 axles will hold the cummins torque...if they don't its good to know this is another option.

Yeah I hope they are ok, but I think this could add a lot of strength in the same package.

You go from 27 to 32 spline pinion in the rear
You gain a massive amount of contact on the ring gear
and probably smallest but still significant is you go from 30 spline to 32 spline rear axle shafts.

The front you just have the 29 spline pinion upgrade (but you probably have it already), but RCV has the upgraded axle shafts.

You come up with this now...right after I do Harrops and Cryo treated gears in my diff's!!! I am hoping my new setup and 80 axles will hold the cummins torque...if they don't its good to know this is another option.

Yeah I hope they are ok, but I think this could add a lot of strength in the same package.

You go from 27 to 32 spline pinion in the rear
You gain a massive amount of contact on the ring gear
and probably smallest but still significant is you go from 30 spline to 32 spline rear axle shafts.

The front you just have the 29 spline pinion upgrade (but you probably have it already), but RCV has the upgraded axle shafts.

Definitely an interesting look and neat option. If the rear axle were used as a semi-float (such as they are in the 100/200) the 32 spline size is warranted both from a wear and a strength but full-float shafts don't traditionally break anywhere near the splines rather towards the hub side. The most common FF failure is actually the studs/dowels, you can upgrade those to ARP, 10mm, triple-dowel, etc but it's generally still the thing we see break.

Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

I've not personally measured the cross-section along the shaft for a 30 vs 32. If anyone has I would love to see the numbers. :cool:

I thought that I read the 30 spline was 1.30-1.31" and the 32 spline would be 1.38-1.39" but I could be wrong.
31/24 vs 33/24. Root/minor diameter is more important than major diameter in terms of ultimate strength.

This should be pioneered. Even if it required double splined axles and custom broached flanges. Good upgrade for the rear.

Yeah those numbers are just about what I read

31/24 = 1.29"
33/24 = 1.38"

31/24 vs 33/24. Root/minor diameter is more important than major diameter in terms of ultimate strength.

This should be pioneered. Even if it required double splined axles and custom broached flanges. Good upgrade for the rear.

Totally, and for those with an ARB we can absolutely supply 32 spline side gears for an existing 30 spline case.

Good to know on the diameters.

If people are already regearing and adding lockers, it would only be $89 for the 32 spline flange and the cost of the axles, everything else locker, gears, master rebuild kit is the same price.

If people are already regearing and adding lockers, it would only be $89 for the 32 spline flange and the cost of the axles, everything else locker, gears, master rebuild kit is the same price.
Shafts and flanges will probably be over a g.

Does the larger outer pinion bearing fit the same 3rd member?

Yeah bearing fits, it is the same external size as the 29 spline.

Shafts and flanges will probably be over a g.

Does the larger outer pinion bearing fit the same 3rd member?

Nitro took over the Poly Performance chromoly rears, they are $450. I wonder if this became a thing, if they would do them in 32 spline.

AXTFF-FJ80
It wont be enough of a thing. This is in the hellfire knuckle realm of bespoke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom