dif breather tube replace / extend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtScaresMe

Trouble Maker
Threads
Website
facebook.com
The temps swing a lot here, in direct sun at 9k feet mid summer it gets hot. I noticed a drip of something on my axle and had noticed a bit of dif oil coming out of a knuckle but it wasn't "leaking" persay. I think I have a plugged up dif breather tube.

The source of my "leak" was the top of the dif breather tube.

I'd like to just replace the tube and run higher. I've heard folks say "grab some hose and extend it". Is that fuel hose, vacuum hose, what diameter, etc?

Also, do you just flip a "u" at the top or is there some fancy way to make a top that allows air but not much else through?

Gracias

Yeah, that happens. You can tell by the smell to confirm your gear oil is being burped out. I got some vacuum hose at the parts store and a little in-line fuel filter to keep bugs out. Run it up and zip-tie it up near the battery tray.

Finally extended my breathers
This writeup is on a 100 but it's the same process for an 80. There's extensive documentation on this process.

Fuel line is sufficient. Some use fuel fulters, I've seen those little aquarium porous air stones used as well. If it's breathing properly there shouldn't really be any positive or negative pressure on your extended breather.

Fuel line or vacuum hose will work. I like to run about 4-5 feet and hang the front line over the brake booster and the rear line over the factory jack. Terminate hose with a $1 VW style fuel filter.

Front.
breather-jpg.860003

Rear.
rear_breather-jpg.915386

Mine had the same problem. I ran a fuel hose up near my power steering reservoir and turned it downward. Adding some kind of filter is probably a good idea as well.

Some breathers are simply terminated by turning down at the end Mitsubishi and Land Rover for example, as long as water from say a jet wash cannot get in all should be well. I use ordinary push on fuel filters, not very elegant but does the job for now.

Regards

Dave

I got the ARB breather kit and put it up in the engine compartment and also ran the breathers from the transfer case plus transmission in to it.

Reactions: RFB
Remove the existing OEM hose and one-way cap. Those caps get blocked is one problem but old/contaminated gear oil tends to foam is what your seeing as well. Time to change the gear oil.

At the front...I extended my breathers up into the engine compartment, terminating at the ABS unit. You can 'Tee' the Differential, Trans and Transfer Case breathers together and then bring all into just one line. Pick up the Trans and Tcase lines at the trans dipstick (on a 97 anyway).

Then IF you want something that looks more 'finished' than a fuel filter, you can pick up any number of Air Filter/Silencers for a small vacuum pump. They are actually designed to flow air. I'm sure a fuel filter works too.

Example:
Filter Silencer: Plastic, Particulate - Gamut

This is what I ran front and rear (different from link):

Extended Breathers.jpg

Extended Breathers_1.jpg

Extended Breathers_2.jpg

*****NOTE: Be SURE to leave a small coiled section of hose (slack) at your differentials, to allow for suspension travel.

Last edited:
Thanks tools, I was actually thinking last night that water can get in there I’m going to run line from top hanging downward.

I got some of the fuel hose and extended my front up into the engine compartment. I used one of those little fuel filters, and aimed it downward, took like 3 minutes. Hardest part (and half a banana) was just routing it right. For the rear I'll do the same, and will probably bring it forward to the engine compartment as well.

I got some of the fuel hose and extended my front up into the engine compartment. I used one of those little fuel filters, and aimed it downward, took like 3 minutes. Hardest part (and half a banana) was just routing it right. For the rear I'll do the same, and will probably bring it forward to the engine compartment as well.

^^^^^^ The jack storage area is easy and closer.

What size diameter is the hose?

I used 1/4" stuff that I had lying around. Fits perfectly.

I used 1/4" stuff that I had lying around. Fits perfectly.

^^^^^^^^ Same.

Already had a roll of 1/4" fuel line in my shop. A smaller line would probably suffice for a single component (Transmission, Tcase, Axle Housing) but if joining these together (Tee'd together to a single vent line) then 1/4" or 5/16" makes sense.

At the front...I extended my breathers up into the engine compartment, terminating at the ABS unit. You can 'Tee' the Differential, Trans and Transfer Case breathers together and then bring all into just one line. Pick up the Trans and Tcase lines at the trans dipstick (on a 97 anyway).

Then IF you want something that looks more 'finished' than a fuel filter, you can pick up any number of Air Filter/Silencers for a small vacuum pump. They are actually designed to flow air. I'm sure a fuel filter works too.

Example:
Filter Silencer: Plastic, Particulate - Gamut

This is what I ran front and rear (different from link):

View attachment 1597305

View attachment 1597306

View attachment 1597307

*****NOTE: Be SURE to leave a small coiled section of hose (slack) at your differentials, to allow for suspension travel.

Agree on leaving slack however, do not create a coil in the pipe unless you fix it horizontal. Invariably a part of the coil will be low at one side, if this is the case oil mist may eventually pool and block the air path.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom