Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are the 4bt guys getting for mpg
I think the vibrations break their odometer gears before they can run through a full tank. 😂😂

Edit: @lt1fire - I remember your post awhile back about wanting to stay toyota tranny. Hit me up if you’re still in that camp. I’ve got an A440 (have to mod the converter snout)/A442/A343 to Cummins converter I’ll be selling soon.

Last edited:
17 is the worst off-road and on slow rough dirt roads. 19-20, occasionally 21-3. I am running 35's and an NV4500. Yes, the 4bt is rough, I would hesitate to do another 4bt swap but I really like driving what I have..

I think the vibrations break their odometer gears before they can run through a full tank. 😂😂

Edit: @lt1fire - I remember your post awhile back about wanting to stay toyota tranny. Hit me up if you’re still in that camp. I’ve got an A440 (have to mod the converter snout)/A442/A343 to Cummins converter I’ll be selling soon.

It's not actually for me. I'm knee deep in a turbo 2fe swap for my 80. I do still have a 4bt in my bronco crawler and am looking to pick up another to balance and mess around with.

I have a buddy with an 80 with a blown motor but after a year of trying to find an OM606 where your first born isn't needed as payment he is considering the 4bt.

It's not actually for me. I'm knee deep in a turbo 2fe swap for my 80. I do still have a 4bt in my bronco crawler and am looking to pick up another to balance and mess around with.

I have a buddy with an 80 with a blown motor but after a year of trying to find an OM606 where your first born isn't needed as payment he is considering the 4bt.
Let him know, if he wants it I have it laying around.

What are the 4bt guys getting for mpg
I rarely ever get to run through an entire tank at once anymore. I'd say 12 on trails, 15-16 mixed short duration trips, 18-20+ highway at 70-75mph.

I have been running a juiced up 6BT since 2015 and the only thing I broke was a rear driveshaft. This was climbing a steep wall at the end of the hole in the rock trail and I gave it a little too much skinny pedal. Axles, xfer case and diffs have all held up.

If you drive like a teenager, then yes you are more likely to break stuff, but if you’re smart about how your apply the power, then it is fine.
This is why ya leave the diesel engines to the big boy American trucks, you can drive like a teenager and the stuff wont break still, atleast in my 7.3l. Little Japanese pickups are best left with low torque gassers in them. :)

This is why ya leave the diesel engines to the big boy American trucks, you can drive like a teenager and the stuff wont break still, atleast in my 7.3l. Little Japanese pickups are best left with low torque gassers in them. :)
I have 6 years running 400+ hp and about 1000 ft/lbs through my drivetrain...these trucks are plenty strong.

I rarely ever get to run through an entire tank at once anymore. I'd say 12 on trails, 15-16 mixed short duration trips, 18-20+ highway at 70-75mph.
do you have a build thread anywhere? I would like to read up on your setup.

Probably about time to add my truck to the registry. Here is a link to the build thread:

The project generally starts around page 11.

@SNLC handled all the work. Started with a very clean 1997 FZJ80 and swapped in a brand new 1HD-FTE/H152 setup. There was an enormous amount of new OEM parts that were utilized on the swap. If it was available then it was purchased. Way too many details to get into but its all pretty much covered in the thread.

325EB21A-337B-4692-80F3-2DBEBFA66C69.jpeg
AB6C8D4D-0257-4BBC-83CB-29E2E8E53A9F.jpeg

What do the 4BT guys have to say about their rigs vs the 1fz ? I’ve got a 6bt first gen dodge so I know them sell , but curious on the drivability , reliability , power , mileage , and any other comments regarding the 4bt swap

I'll chime in since it seems like most of the 4bt chat seems to have tapered off in the past few years. I bought a 1993 80 solely for the purpose of putting a 4bt in it. I bought an engine, nv4500, and 60 series transfer case before i even had the 80. I went through every bit of it replacing things etc. I finally got an 80 in 2018 before the prices went crazy. Drove it home about 15 miles, and pulled the engine and trans out. Put the 4bt/NV4500 in it. I REALLY like it. With that said, I never drove it or another 80 other than the ride home with this one. More to your question: I feel like mine is pretty tame...yes it sounds like the UPS man (or woman) at idle but underway, it is pretty quiet. Also, everyone will say they shake and rattle like crazy. Well, other than a little vibration at idle, i just dont seem to experience it. I think the manual trans and fluid damper may be why others complain (auto trans). Now, to be clear, it does not drive like a new 4 runner (I have a 2018 4 runner) but what other vintage vehicle would. I would not prefer to drive the 80 in traffic or busy highways, but i think it is more because of the manual trans. The 4bt 80 is not the vehicle for zipping in and out of traffic. If i have to travel or deal with city traffic i take the 4runner but for country driving...my 4bt puts a smile on my face.

Fred

I'll chime in since it seems like most of the 4bt chat seems to have tapered off in the past few years. I bought a 1993 80 solely for the purpose of putting a 4bt in it. I bought an engine, nv4500, and 60 series transfer case before i even had the 80. I went through every bit of it replacing things etc. I finally got an 80 in 2018 before the prices went crazy. Drove it home about 15 miles, and pulled the engine and trans out. Put the 4bt/NV4500 in it. I REALLY like it. With that said, I never drove it or another 80 other than the ride home with this one. More to your question: I feel like mine is pretty tame...yes it sounds like the UPS man (or woman) at idle but underway, it is pretty quiet. Also, everyone will say they shake and rattle like crazy. Well, other than a little vibration at idle, i just dont seem to experience it. I think the manual trans and fluid damper may be why others complain (auto trans). Now, to be clear, it does not drive like a new 4 runner (I have a 2018 4 runner) but what other vintage vehicle would. I would not prefer to drive the 80 in traffic or busy highways, but i think it is more because of the manual trans. The 4bt 80 is not the vehicle for zipping in and out of traffic. If i have to travel or deal with city traffic i take the 4runner but for country driving...my 4bt puts a smile on my face.

Fred
Awesome thanks for the info!
I am buying the 4bt 80 to use for wheeling and road trips, the simplicity , mileage and reliability is what applies to me , I’m just worried it will be uncomfortable to drive long distance, my first gen Cummins is a bit tiring sometimes but like you said when you compare it to a newer vehicle , of course the new one is more comfortable.. but what fun is that? Main concerns for me is long distance camping / mountain biking trips and reliability as far as torque on the drivetrain, especially since I intend on bigger injectors . Hx35, higher rpm gov spring etc etc .

Awesome thanks for the info!
I am buying the 4bt 80 to use for wheeling and road trips, the simplicity , mileage and reliability is what applies to me , I’m just worried it will be uncomfortable to drive long distance, my first gen Cummins is a bit tiring sometimes but like you said when you compare it to a newer vehicle , of course the new one is more comfortable.. but what fun is that? Main concerns for me is long distance camping / mountain biking trips and reliability as far as torque on the drivetrain, especially since I intend on bigger injectors . Hx35, higher rpm gov spring etc etc .
HX35 will he too big for the 4bt, they’re stock on the 12 valves. I’d look into one of the HX30’s. Maybe a super 30.

HX35 will he too big for the 4bt, they’re stock on the 12 valves. I’d look into one of the HX30’s. Maybe a super 30.
i prefer low end torque , so I guess I would be better with the 30 or build the H1C with a 14cm housing .. that’s all later in the future or course. Would like to get used to stock power first..

@Redbird, throw up some photos when you have a chance, i'd like to see it. What did you do for the brake/clutch master, pedal assembly? I've always wanted a 4BT powered 80. I picked up a VP30 4BT a few years ago and am slowly accumulating parts for the transplant.
My 1HD-T will have to do for now I guess. @William839 keep up posted on yours as well.

I used a master/slave combo for a Dodge NV4500. 2nd gen Dodge. Something like $100 from Rock Auto. Pre-bled and replaceable in minutes. I built a clutch pedal "bucket" after searching everywhere for a factory one. Super simple really, piece of plate steel (hole in center for slave) and two pieces on the side with bolt to pivot the pedal. No springs or anything. I put a short grade 8 bolt on the master rod and a clevis to adjust it for the right amount of throw. 2nd gen dodge had a twist lock master on the firewall. You can buy the metal twist lock piece from valair. I welded it to backing plate. You could probably do it directly to the firewall. I'll get a few pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom