Diesel Transplanted 80 series Registry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So 4bt and 6bt swappers.... how is all the toyota components holding up to the sledge hammer torque of these motors. I've contemplated swapping my 4bt in if i'm not in love with the turbo 3fe i'm building currently. But a guy who is very knowledgeable with diesel swaps in cruisers has warned me about lots of breakage to the toyota parts. Not really looking to do a one ton swap or anything like that.

I have been running a juiced up 6BT since 2015 and the only thing I broke was a rear driveshaft. This was climbing a steep wall at the end of the hole in the rock trail and I gave it a little too much skinny pedal. Axles, xfer case and diffs have all held up.

If you drive like a teenager, then yes you are more likely to break stuff, but if you’re smart about how your apply the power, then it is fine.

I second what @Dirty Koala said. Don't drive like a moron rolling coal and you'll be fine. So far (almost 80k miles into the swap) the worst damage I've done to a stock Toyota part was melting my washer fluid reservoir due to the proximity of the turbo. Replaced that unit and wrapped it in a turbo blanket and everything's good underhood.

So 4bt and 6bt swappers.... how is all the toyota components holding up to the sledge hammer torque of these motors. I've contemplated swapping my 4bt in if i'm not in love with the turbo 3fe i'm building currently. But a guy who is very knowledgeable with diesel swaps in cruisers has warned me about lots of breakage to the toyota parts. Not really looking to do a one ton swap or anything like that.

As others mentioned, the toyota stuff is plenty stout when used reasonably. I do know two guys personally who were not happy with the 4bt’s drivability and vibes and ended up going to other dieselS. But cjmoon and others have been plenty happy with them. I imagine it’s all about expectations. It definitely will not be anywhere as smooth as a 3FE.

As others mentioned, the toyota stuff is plenty stout when used reasonably. I do know two guys personally who were not happy with the 4bt’s drivability and vibes and ended up going to other dieselS. But cjmoon and others have been plenty happy with them. I imagine it’s all about expectations. It definitely will not be anywhere as smooth as a 3FE.

Yeah I have a 4bt so I know about the vibes.... if it was going in the 80 i'll be balancing it anyway. I'm just more worried about the jackhammer torque effect on the diffs, and other parts. Just a turbo swap, fuel pin and turn of the screw and you'll be near 500 ft/lbs on a 4bt in no time.

Yeah I have a 4bt so I know about the vibes.... if it was going in the 80 i'll be balancing it anyway. I'm just more worried about the jackhammer torque effect on the diffs, and other parts. Just a turbo swap, fuel pin and turn of the screw and you'll be near 500 ft/lbs on a 4bt in no time.
Would you have an auto or manual? Auto will absorb a lot more of those torque pulses.

Would you have an auto or manual? Auto will absorb a lot more of those torque pulses.

That strangely enough is the conclusion I came to. It seems all the guys that break things are using the nv4500.

Personally i'd like to do it and keep the a440..... they are much beefier than any GM or Dodge trans from the same era. But mine has a bunch of miles and to do an upgraded Tq converter or valve body on it is about 3k.... plus the miles. so if I do go that way it will most likely be done with a 480le. But this is just down the line thinking, i've got my turbo build to complete first. I don't know if i'd trust a 700r4 no matter how built it is.

No issues here. I don’t drive it hard.

I followed your 80 build.... looks like i'll have to follow the 70 build.

how hard was the 70 series body to get?

I followed your 80 build.... looks like i'll have to follow the 70 build.

how hard was the 70 series body to get?
Waiting a long time to find one on my small budget. They seem more plentiful now for 79 bodies. Pricey.

I have been running a juiced up 6BT since 2015 and the only thing I broke was a rear driveshaft. This was climbing a steep wall at the end of the hole in the rock trail and I gave it a little too much skinny pedal. Axles, xfer case and diffs have all held up.

If you drive like a teenager, then yes you are more likely to break stuff, but if you’re smart about how your apply the power, then it is fine.

Well I am a 17 year old with a new license, in my mind and drive the crap out of mine, I pulled a 10 wheel dump truck out of the mud, and I have tested mine and the toyota parts are fine. I have a friend with a NV4500 swapped rig that I worked on, his motor has a stage 2 cam and some different injectors and he broke the input shaft on the NV4500 and has not broken any toyota drive train, this guy telling you you are going to break stuff with the 4bt does not know Toyota 80 drive train

Well I am a 17 year old with a new license, in my mind and drive the crap out of mine, I pulled a 10 wheel dump truck out of the mud, and I have tested mine and the toyota parts are fine. I have a friend with a NV4500 swapped rig that I worked on, his motor has a stage 2 cam and some different injectors and he broke the input shaft on the NV4500 and has not broken any toyota drive train, this guy telling you you are going to break stuff with the 4bt does not know Toyota 80 drive train
Dude, those must have been some hard 17 years...they aged you ;)

Same!, I drive the snot outta my 6bt swapped cruiser.So far a couple ujoints,couple flange bolts and 5 out of 6 lug studs at once.Slightly different setup than most as I used the getrag,np205 combo but all the hard parts are holding up!

Hi folks:

With the increasing popularity of diesel engines being transplanted into 80 series Land Cruisers, I thought it would be neat to see everyone's rig all in one spot.

These are my reasons for starting this thread:

1) Lots of people have done transplants with Toyota and non-Toyota diesel engines.

2) It would be neat to read about everyone's rigs and their experiences all in one thread.

3) I am hoping to have everyone include a link to their separate build threads so that a browser can get a quick glimpse/summary of the truck in this Registry thread, and then click on the link of the rig they're interested in and read the more detailed stuff.

4) It would be an easy resource for those who are in the process of planning their own swap...they can just browse through this Registry thread and click on the rigs they are interested in and see if it's for them or not. I know we have a Search engine, but wouldn't this be a neater way for those specifically interested in a swap?

So...this is the format I propose:

1. Year and model of the original truck.
2. Brief details of the Drivetrain that was swapped in.
3. What went really well with the swap?
4. What was unexpectedly difficult with the swap?
5. Mods...aside from drivetrain, if any?
6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement.
7. Realistic fuel consumption after the swap...lol. :D
8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy.
9. 2 to 3 pictures of your rig.
10. A link to your own build thread with all the juicy details and pictures.

Oh yeah, as much as possible, try to limit the chat in this thread. Either PM the rig owners with the questions that you have, or post them in the owner's build thread.

That's it so far...and I'll put up my post in a little bit. :beer:
Hi folks:

With the increasing popularity of diesel engines being transplanted into 80 series Land Cruisers, I thought it would be neat to see everyone's rig all in one spot.

1) Lots of people have done transplants with Toyota and non-Toyota diesel engines.

2) It would be neat to read about everyone's rigs and their experiences all in one thread.

3) I am hoping to have everyone include a link to their separate build threads so that a browser can get a quick glimpse/summary of the truck in this Registry thread, and then click on the link of the rig they're interested in and read the more detailed stuff.

4) It would be an easy resource for those who are in the process of planning their own swap...they can just browse through this Registry thread and click on the rigs they are interested in and see if it's for them or not. I know we have a Search engine, but wouldn't this be a neater way for those specifically interested in a swap?

6. Driving impressions after the swap...including drivability in daily driving (if applicable), highway travel, and, of course, off pavement.
8. Five star rating for overall difficulty of the swap: *=relatively easy, *****=don't even attempt it unless you have some real good friends who are really handy.

Oh yeah, as much as possible, try to limit the chat in this thread. Either PM the rig owners with the questions that you have, or post them in the owner's build thread.

Must dump 92 diesel No Title....Florida now need to sell by dec 9 will take 12.5..everything works perfect

20201114_172350.jpg

20201114_172410.jpg

20201114_172501.jpg

20201114_172448.jpg

20201114_172524.jpg

Hi folks:

That's it so far...and I'll put JDM 1KZ-TE 3.0L TURBO DIESEL ENGINE 1KZ RWD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ECU HARNESS my post in a little bit. :beer:
Would my 1997 80 series with auto trans would accept as swap to diesel the
Hi folks:

Would my 1997 80 series gasoline engine would accept as swap the JDM 1KZ-TE 3.0L TURBO DIESEL ENGINE 1KZ RWD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ECU HARNESS ? Please give me your comments advice

Has there been any clear way to register the LC as a diesel in CA after the swap? I've been doing a lot of reading on the swap, and have seen a few that have had the title converted but not sure about the procedure.

Hi Guys, I swapped to a 1-HDT engine with a manual transmission on my 80 ( Lexus LX 450) 1997. Dave Martin form Back40 imports did an amazing job and everything is working perfect!

View attachment 2541704

View attachment 2541705

View attachment 2541706

View attachment 2541707

View attachment 2541708
Looks great. You will love that rig. I highly recommend installing an intercooler to save the engine. It will reduce the stress considerably. I installed a PPD on my 1HDFT and it made a huge difference.

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

1997 FZJ80 40th Edition
1998 1HD-FTE + a442f
As the FZJ80 was automatic the conversion did not need many modifications, all bolted up pretty straightforward.
The electrics were a big headache, I spent a lot of hours making all work (tacho, speedo, etc. ) but still don't have many things finished (2nd start, OD button, PWR button, etc).
Gturbo Grunter green wheel, Gturbo tuned DTE module, manta 3'' stainless exhaust, PDI front mount intercooler with the auto cooler, LRA long range tank, new injection pump and new injectors
Completely different car, low-end torque is great
Did not measure yet
I did most of the work myself, I have never attempted anything similar to this before. The biggest achievement prior to the conversion was the head gasket job on 1FZ. The conversion took me about a year to finish as I was working very slowly. I would give this conversion 4 stars.

The biggest issue was the wiring which was done in Australia, unfortunately, it was far from being ideal and I spent a lot of hours making basic things working. Now at least I have pretty good knowledge of the electrical on the 1HD-FTE. The fuel system was also a headache, mounting the HDJ80 fuel lines and fabricating the mounts for them, putting the LRA extended main tank was also pain. The rear propeller shaft had to be extended as the transfer box is without the viscous coupler thus it is shorter. The cross-member had to be modified to suit the a442f bushings which were different from the a343 before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom