Diesel Conversion Drama.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, let’s just say that I have a perfectly running 97 FZJ80 just sitting in my driveway now and I can’t register it. Why, you ask? Because I cannot complete the registration here in Colorado Springs because the OBD-II reads nothing from the engine. The reason why I need an emissions reading? Because it’s a diesel conversion, sporting a Detroit 6.5L TD from a military hummer. So the issue is I have a mechanical engine that needs to talk to a digital computer. Is there some magic Voodoo to get a set up to function as if it was OEM? I tinkered with it for a couple hours and nothing.

OBD systems were never on diesels. I would go to a referee station/whatever and get it waivered or tested as such. So how’s it running, anyway?? I have always wondered sbout uskng a massaged 6.5 for some towing power.

Here, on diesels, they don't hook up anything to the truck, they test particulates and such at the exhaust. You're probably going to have to escalate to someone who has authority and some common sense.

OBD systems were never on diesels. I would go to a referee station/whatever and get it waivered or tested as such. So how’s it running, anyway?? I have always wondered sbout uskng a massaged 6.5 for some towing power.
It runs awesomely. Honestly, it’s more power than most would really need but I like it.

We dont have emissions testing in Colorado Springs (El Paso County) for gas vehicles.

Last edited:
We dont have emissions testing in Colorado Springs (El Paso County) for gas vehicles.

So, is this rig from out of state, so you need a safety inspection/ VIN verification before you can register it for the first time in Colorado?

OBD systems were never on diesels.

Up to ’93, the GM diesels (6.2/6.5) were mechanical injection - no OBD. In ’94 they went to EFI and had OBD-I. In ’96 they went to OBD-II. Is the issue then that you are putting an older engine (pre-’94 if it is mechanical) in a newer vehicle (’97)?

[Edit]I think the military 6.5 engines went to EFI in ’96.

Last edited:
So, is this rig from out of state, so you need a safety inspection/ VIN verification before you can register it for the first time in Colorado?

Only a VIN inspection, I don't recall ever having to turnover the engine for this to happen.

Up to ’93, the GM diesels (6.2/6.5) were mechanical injection - no OBD. In ’94 they went to EFI and had OBD-I. In ’96 they went to OBD-II. Is the issue then that you are putting an older engine (pre-’94 if it is mechanical) in a newer vehicle (’97)?

I thought ALL of the military issue. 6.5s were only mechanical?
IIRC, the first year of civilian 6.5 was still mechanical but after that they started adding computers?

I went back to add that I think the military versions went to EFI in ’96, but the information I was looking at wasn’t clear between Hummer (civilian) and HMMWV (military).

The civilian 6.5TD started appearing in some ’92 models and it was possible to have either a MFI 6.2 or 6.5 in the ’92 and ’93 models (the ’93 in my sig is MFI). Then they went to EFI in ’94 (the ’94 in my sig is EFI).

I know that Pennsylvania requires you to use a same year or newer engine for an engine swap.

I went back to add that I think the military versions went to EFI in ’96, but the information I was looking at wasn’t clear between Hummer (civilian) and HMMWV (military).

The civilian 6.5TD started appearing in some ’92 models and it was possible to have either a MFI 6.2 or 6.5 in the ’92 and ’93 models (the ’93 in my sig is MFI). Then they went to EFI in ’94 (the ’94 in my sig is EFI).
The military variants were mechanical so they could still run with after an EMP event. Most military vehicles are in this class as the must run with minimum maintence while in the field.

But why on Earth would they NEED to know?
Unfortunately, it is on the title as a diesel. It was registered in Denver as a diesel and when I brought it down to the Springs is when I ran into this issue.

So diesels passenger cars in Colorado Springs all need smog testing, but not gassers?

Unfortunately, it is on the title as a diesel. It was registered in Denver as a diesel and when I brought it down to the Springs is when I ran into this issue.

Dang, thats a rough one. Lose that title and request a new one, insist its a gas truck this time? :meh: Good luck man! I'd like to see this thing in person sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom