Diesel pump leak, 1hdt gxl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!
1992 1hdt 80 series gxl has got a leak on the back end near the "out" side of the diesel pump. Has 400xxx and engine is in great condition with no blow by.
I noticed this right before doing my diesel filter/oil filter service etc.. havnt noticed any issues with fueling performance etc prior.
I want to try and rectify this myself or find out if it's out my league.
A friend of mine suggested it seems like the copper washers might need replacing? The leak seems to be coming from the rusty screw (arrowed in photo) I'm struggling to find much info or similar issues to mimic how to fix this without kicking myself in the shins.
After cleaning and wiping up excess it seems to be weeping a little bit after any short drive all around that plastic/rubber housing where the green/ground cable comes into.. so it's quite consistent.

Any help would be appreciated to guide me in the right direction with links or manual directions.

20240203_125015.jpg

Hey guys!
1992 1hdt 80 series gxl has got a leak on the back end near the "out" side of the diesel pump. Has 400xxx and engine is in great condition with no blow by.
I noticed this right before doing my diesel filter/oil filter service etc.. havnt noticed any issues with fueling performance etc prior.
I want to try and rectify this myself or find out if it's out my league.
A friend of mine suggested it seems like the copper washers might need replacing? The leak seems to be coming from the rusty screw (arrowed in photo) I'm struggling to find much info or similar issues to mimic how to fix this without kicking myself in the shins.
After cleaning and wiping up excess it seems to be weeping a little bit after any short drive all around that plastic/rubber housing where the green/ground cable comes into.. so it's quite consistent.

Any help would be appreciated to guide me in the right direction with links or manual directions.

View attachment 3549622
Should have added I just returned from a trip away which consisted of long amounts of time on bumpy graded roads so the car was vibrating constantly.

Workshop manuals for your engine are in the "RESOURCES" section via the forum menu.

Also, do a search in the " Diesel & 24volt Tech" section of the forum, you'll find much more info on your engine than in the 80series section most members are in USA, USA never got Diesel 80s.

I'd suggest give it a spray with some degreaser or brake cleaner to get rid of the weeping fuel, then try and see if you can get a better idea of the source. Diesel tends to spread in all directions.

The black boot with the green wire at the bottom of your picture is the fuel cut off solenoid. I'd suspect it may the problem, but do some clean up first.
It's easily swapped.

The rusty screw, not sure what it's for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom