Detroit Locker Option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can get a good price ($600) on a new Detroit Locker (employee price), includes shipping.

BUT - I need think I need to have it profesionally set up.

Any opinions?

Is there any shims, etc that would go along with the Detroit?

How do I confirm that I have the 30 Spline axle? (it really looks like there is only one selection)

Is this a good deal? Whay should I expect to pay for the setup?

Thanks -

PS It goes into the rear of a '74 FJ-40 (2F Engine, 4 Speed).

I think this is what I need:

http://www.fjparts.com/detroit/Detroit_Locker_Application_ct_128302.pdf

IF you are going to go with a Detroit locker, you are going to need to order a rebuild kit as well, it will have all the shims and bearings you need. as for the 30 spline axles: I think they changed over to 30 spline in 75 but I'm not 100% on that. Are you going to be pulling the 3rd member your self and bring it to a shop of are you going to have them do everything?

Call Kurt at Cruiser outfitters, he will hook you up.
FWIW I usually let the shop doing the work buy the master install kit. I know I pay a little more but they are on the hook if the parts are wrong instead of me.

If the pinion bearings and seal are in good shape, you won't have to disturb these. No shims are needed. I did install new carrier bearings, and duplicated the back-lash I had prior to disassembly. The one thing I did have to do was carefully grind 2 small flats on each side of the Detriot's cross-pin; on my '78 with the axles and c-clips installed there wasn't quite enough clearance to shove the cross-pin between the ends of the axles.
I didn't have to pull the pumpkin to do this; I was able to work thru the back cover. There is some info on the FAQ section about this and on the web as well. Randy's Ring and Pinion is a good source.
This isn't a real difficult job, but I cut my teeth on low-dollar rigs back when I had no choice but to repair myself; my early work was a little suspect! Eaton has a website; call them to ensure you order correctly.
If they don't have to get into the pinion, and all goes smooth, I could see 3+ hrs labor to do this at a shop.

Aussie Locker for around $300.00! It can be installed while in the housing. The directions are clear and simple. I love mine! Great inexpensive investment.

Did you look in the FAQ for Lockers! Great information and advice.

Hi All:

A genuine Detroit Locker is a great mode for increased traction and strength. Installation does require set-up of the ring and pinion gears.

I have two friends that have run Detroits in the rear axle of their trucks. One in a FJ55 with a 2F and 33s, and the other in a FJ40 on 37s with a GM V-8. Both feel it is an excellent upgrade.

IMHO, if your FJ40 still is still running an I-6 engine (F, 2F) a Lockrite, Aussie Locker, etc. "lunchbox locker" would be more than adequate. I have been running a Lockrite in the rearend of my FJ40 for about ten years without any issues.

A "lunchbox locker" fits inside of the stock differential carrier in place of the side gears. This does not affect the set-up of the ring and pinion gear.

For the matter, this type of 'locker is only as strong as the differential itself. Fortunately, the stock land Cruiser rear axle is plenty strong for an I-6 and most V-8s so this should not be an issue.

So, I don't think you could go wrong with the Detroit Locker, but you might be able to get by just fine with the much less expense Aussie Locker.

Regards,

Alan

If the pinion bearings and seal are in good shape, you won't have to disturb these. No shims are needed. I did install new carrier bearings, and duplicated the back-lash I had prior to disassembly.

This isn't a real difficult job, but I cut my teeth on low-dollar rigs back when I had no choice but to repair myself; my early work was a little suspect! Eaton has a website; call them to ensure you order correctly.
If they don't have to get into the pinion, and all goes smooth, I could see 3+ hrs labor to do this at a shop.

x2
I put a detroit in my fj40 years ago while I was still a student with spare time but not much money. I even re-used the carrier bearings pulled off the stock open carrier (they were still good). Bolted up the ring gear, set the backlash, re-install, done.

I have since installed an aussie in my other cruiser. Feels and basically works the same for way less money, but no regrets on the detroit :meh:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom