Desert Dynamics winch resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It's time for me to get working on this winch. It's a Desert Dynamics 8 or 9k lbs model. Need to clean up data plate to verify. Manually hooked up positive lead to battery last weekend. Selonoids in control boxes clicked in both directions, but that was it. The hand controller says Thor on it.

Any recommendations on getting it initially freed up (loop around a tree and back up while engaged???). I'm happy to work on it once I know I have something salvageable. To this point it just sits there and garners "cool wormgear winch" comments when guys are looking at the rest of the rig...

Please advise and thanks!!!
LR

Check out the Pierce winch website... they may still have parts available. My dad had one of those on our 73 blazer when I was a kid. The cable bound up on the mount and burned out the motor. I had it rebuilt by a starter/alternator shop back in the 90's.
HTH,
Will

Good info Thx. How would one do the initial check to make sure it's not just missing a contact with corrosion. Similar to tapping a starter motor with a hammer. Want to eliminate the easy stuff before tearing it down...?

Check out the Pierce winch website... they may still have parts available. My dad had one of those on our 73 blazer when I was a kid. The cable bound up on the mount and burned out the motor. I had it rebuilt by a starter/alternator shop back in the 90's.
HTH,
Will

If I remember correctly the motor turns in both directions depending on which way current is applied. You could bypass the solenoids/remote by testing the motor with jumper cables attached directly to the motor leads.

EDIT-Search for piercesales,com.Look for the pdf for the desert dynamics winch. It shows the wiring diagram for the motor as well as the solenoid pack. http://piercesales.com/content/Manuals/Desert Dynamics T200.pdf

Last edited:
You can try hot wiring the motor directly to bypass the solenoids. The two rear connectors are the field winding connections and the front one is the armature with the other end of the armature being grounded. Disconnect the wires at the motor. Connect the battery + to one of the field terminals. (Which one determines the direction the motor runs). Then connect the other field to the armature and it should run if the motor is OK.

image.jpeg
Thanks for the suggestion. It's not factory, so if it gets too involved will move to my plan of above set-up...

You can try hot wiring the motor directly to bypass the solenoids. The two rear connectors are the field winding connections and the front one is the armature with the other end of the armature being grounded. Disconnect the wires at the motor. Connect the battery + to one of the field terminals. (Which one determines the direction the motor runs). Then connect the other field to the armature and it should run if the motor is OK.

Wait til you price what Warn wants for a 8274 winch these days... It makes the ARB bumper look cheap by comparison. Get that one to work, even if you have to get the motor rebuilt you will be way ahead financially.

I hear ya...$600-1700 on Craigslist here for used to like new. I know a good motor guy here in Tampa.

"Cost as an independent variable" as we say in my line of business.

All that said, Will an ARB 3450070 BUMPER fit a 1974 FJ40? Have a line on one for $700, NIB. Seems like I've seen a number of ARB bumpers mounted.

Thx,
LR

tlc762- Will give the direct to DC a go this weekend. My OCD has driven me to looking at replacement seats now, so hope winch works and I can divert cash to that endeavor.

Thx
LR

All that said, Will an ARB 3450070 BUMPER fit a 1974 FJ40? Have a line on one for $700, NIB. Seems like I've seen a number of ARB bumpers mounted.

Thx,
LR

That bumper was made for a TJ ( Jeep ). Initially TLC bought a bunch and had ARB modify them for the ICON, which is what you see in the pic.
I believe that TLC now is producing a close replica domestically to fit directly to their truck. It now looks like this. They will sell you one

icon-1972-toyota-fj44-front-bumper.jpg

VS the original ARB
005.jpg

Ya... I noticed that and was dismayed that I really like their design cuz their another grand more, if I recall...

Dave @lcwizard looks like the winch on yours was mounted upside down- with the motor above the drum not below... What would that do to the gears, bearings, etc. with the oil bath sitting on the wrong side of the winch? Not to mention hard to check/fill the case with new oil. Nice work you did on that truck, beautiful!!!

Dave, thank you for saving that cruiser from the 80's...

Dave @lcwizard looks like the winch on yours was mounted upside down- with the motor above the drum not below... What would that do to the gears, bearings, etc. with the oil bath sitting on the wrong side of the winch? Not to mention hard to check/fill the case with new oil. Nice work you did on that truck, beautiful!!!

I never even tried the winch. A friend put it on his trailer. It seems fine . I don't know how long it was run that way but it gives you an idea how
people were adapting it to the 40, right or wrong.

Dave, thank you for saving that cruiser from the 80's...

As much as i wanted, I couldn't keep it. I'd have been tempted to take it wheeling. It went to a gentleman who would be unlikely to
ever lock in the hubs. It had very low miles but had stopped running and stored outdoors in Az for 14 years. Some pics here

82 fj40 - Click to see more photos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom