Delta Vehicle Systems ceiling storage options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Delta VS

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
deltavs.com
Howdy all! Hope the warm weather is getting everybody out into the wild enjoying your rigs.

We have been fielding a lot of questions from folks on the differences between our Ceiling Storage Racks (or CSR) and our Ceiling Storage Brackets (or CSB). This thread will go through the explanation of our CSR, while you can read about the CSB in this here: 80 Series Ceiling Storage Bracket (CSB)

The biggest difference between the two is the CSB is for the DIY'er who likes to source their own components and the CSR is for the folks who like a polished, well fitting piece of equipment that bolts right up with OEM like ease.

Down to business:

Our Rack is a continuation of the bracket project. Wanted a cleaner and complete solution for the Overland Expo build with integrated forward bulkhead to keep things safer. The finished, fully loaded Rack looks like this:

IMG_3785.jpg

This thing holds a surprising amount of "stuff" on it, and has a ton of attachment points to strap/bolt/what-have-you on the under side. We will save the cutout pieces from the next run and turn them into custom fitting, "locked in place" attachment points. The next pic shows everything that is tucked away nicely in the above pic:

IMG_3789.jpg

Plenty of soft, large items that don't need regular access but are super nice to have in the vehicle.

A view through the side window gives you a decent idea of what kind of headroom you can expect with it installed (please excuse the dust). The space from bottom of CSR to top of 3rd row seat is about 28.5 inches (of note, this goes for BOTH the CSR and CSB). Not a lot of headroom if the 3rd row seats are installed. That is up to you to decide though.

IMG_3786.jpg

With all the junk removed, you can see the rear lip a little better as well as the forward bulkhead. The rear lip sticks up 1.5" from the storage surface to keep things in place during all your stoplight drag racing, while the bulkhead follows the late model headliner with a continuous ~0.5" inch gap.

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

Thanks for reading and ask away if you've got any questions!

Post 2 will be a few more pics and some design screenshots

Part 2:

You can see how the rack attaches to the 3rd row seat handle holes in the first pic, using the handle hardware to do so. Since you reuse the stock hardware, the CSR needs absolutely nothing else in the package (other than a sticker or two)

IMG_3797.jpg

And here it is re-loaded with all the stuff that was on the ground above. Found some extra space while doing that, so now it can hold even more stuff!

IMG_3799.jpg

Now for some insight to our design process for those interested:

First, we scan the appropriate section of the vehicle. Below you can see what the raw data looks like when minimally processed. Lots of noise! We use a pretty low-end scanner, which just means there is a lot more post processing time involved.

ceiling raw scan.JPG

Second, we have to go through and choose the geometry of interest, extract it, and process it into surfaces that can be referenced for use by a part.

Below, you can see the little grey line in the middle of the headliner on that red 'Plane 1'. That is the geometry that bulkhead ends up being made from. All the work up until this point is JUST to get that one line, BUT as demonstrated in the previous post with how nicely the bulkhead follows the headliner, well worth it:

ceiling prepped surface with profile sketch.JPG

Third, you make the part...

finished CSR design.JPG

Last edited:
Looks clean. Nice job.

I would LOVE to see this hinge down along the back (facing driver) and latch along the front (facing tailgate). For those times when the rear isn’t full, it would be a luxury to drop it down, grab what I need and go.

And some mounting points for one or two small LED work lights would be cool as well.

I would LOVE to see this hinge down along the back (facing driver) and latch along the front (facing tailgate). For those times when the rear isn’t full, it would be a luxury to drop it down, grab what I need and go.

And some mounting points for one or two small LED work lights would be cool as well.

How much money ya got?

What are people using for the shelf with the brackets? I grabbed a 4' heavy closet shelf from lowes for mine but pretty unhappy with it. Delta Brackets are top notch though!

Shop Rubbermaid Fasttrack Garage 1-Piece Satin Nickel Steel Wire Shelf at Lowes.com

@Shoredreamer posted in our OE thread with pics of his install and linked to this bracket: Additional Chrome Wire Shelves - 48 x 18" H-3182C - Uline That one is very similar to the original junkyard find @swankstar used with his prototype brackets

Also, @RS6tofj80 just posted recently in the original bracket thread linked at the top of this one with some info on the rack he used and says it cost $26

I used a 47 3/4" section from Container store - $ 26 and it looks great and is super solid, no rattles... yet.

How does the front bulkhead contour work with the old style headliner?

How does the front bulkhead contour work with the old style headliner?

Good question. We no longer have access to one of those vehicles so can't be 100% sure. The fact that a 91-94 has a soft, stretchy, fabric headliner leads us to believe if there does happen to be any interference, the headliner will easily move out of the way.

Ok, found the wire shelves on amazon (imagine that) $31 aint bad they have them in black too but not sure it thats worth the $12 more

http://a.co/3d31bKd - chrome
http://a.co/7Bm6UOx - black

@Delta VS

Watch the price on the black rack linked above as I bought that exact rack on Amazon in June for $29 (must have been a run on them :hmm:)

I used the Delta VS brackets and couldn't be happier. They are installed in conjunction with a Speski Cargo Barrier which means that the bracket to bracket inner dimension was around 47". I cut the Amazon rack down to fit and covered the cut ends with silicone plugs. I think it came out great.

The Delta VS brackets were well made and shipped quickly. The after sale gift of the little field notebook was a nice touch Thanks! Low price doesn't always dictate the choice of a vendor. It's all about customer service. I would not hesitate to go back to Delta VS for another purchase.

Rack1A.jpg

Rack 2A.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom