Deleting Coolant Overflow Bottle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ60Seth

SILVER Star
Threads
I have US spec FJ60, fully smogged and unfortunately it must stay that way. I'm installing a 2nd battery and because of size constraints, I don't see any way to keep my coolant overflow bottle. Is it a mistake to not to run it?

You would most likely need to switch to Evans waterless coolant, I think that's the name. You would be risking blowing hoses without the overflow.

Is it a mistake to not to run it?

Yes. Its designed as its name suggests. Excess pressure causes the coolant to overflow and when the engine cools it sucks it back into the radiator. When working correctly, they can go for years without a coolant top up. My HZJ75 would get a coolant change every 2 years with no top ups.
Its also the proper and best way to check your coolant level.
Maybe look around for an aftermarket overflow with a different shape that can be slotted into another place. There is a few types on ebey. There is a bit of flexibility on how high or low they can be fitted.

I moved mine over to the pass side inner fender, between the original battery and the windshield washer reservoir. find threaded holes in the side above the wheel well that fit the same screws. Hose reaches too. Just have to loop it around.

I moved mine over to the pass side inner fender, between the original battery and the windshield washer reservoir. find threaded holes in the side above the wheel well that fit the same screws. Hose reaches too. Just have to loop it around.
That’s a good idea. Thank you.

I *think* it was stainless steel trays that made a relocation kit for that when running dual batteries...

Stainless Steel Battery Trays for TOYOTA LANDCRUISER

How do the 24v system trucks do it?

07d47d3d022da324aa4cf44d40382c2b--landcruiser-overflow.jpg

newBBpic1.jpg

Toyota made a bracket exactly for this purpose. I had one & sold it. They are still available NOS on the web. Here's a used one:

Battery Clamp Bolt for Diesel H and B Engines from 8/80-8/87 [74407-90A00 - USED] - $40.00 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

image.png

It looks like this:
image.jpeg

But you can make the original one that came with your truck do the same thing (relocate to passenger battery hold down hook) by just zip tying a bunch of small zip ties through your original bracket to a small (16 penny nail) to the hook rod. That's how I had mine for 'decades' when I had 2 batteries in the truck (don't anymore).

You can sort of see it here. That's using the original bracket.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
You need the overflow bottle. There are plenty of options to relocate it. The passenger side as mentioned above is popular. If you have headlight washers, that old cracked reservoir is useless and can easily be deleted as well. Get creative.

I relocated mine with the stainless tank. Mine is a LS w/elec fans, but the idea it the same

7657F3F9-E329-4047-B4F6-625E7988B417.jpeg

I kept the factory bracket and just used a few bolts and a piece of scrap to mount it to the brace on the Stainless Steel Battery Tray that I got for the second battery. Plenty of room even with a Group 31. I think he also makes one that puts in on the brace as well.

My ignition box keeps me from simply mounting the overflow bottle on the back of the driver's side battery tray, so when I eventually go to a dual battery system, my plan is to build an overflow bottle with large diameter stainless pipe. Hoping I can easily figure out the appropriate diameter and length for a 1.5-2 qt bottle. The hose from the radiator will connect at the bottom for the sake of simplicity and ensuring that it operates the way it should. I also plan to use some brass fittings and install a sight tube cut from clear tubing so I can quickly check the coolant level at a glance. Top will be a simply screw cap with an outlet hose to allow overfill to drain out.

Yes you need the overflow bottle. we just took the redneck approach and moved the overflow bracket to a point on the firewall (minor little weld) and there it sits, overflow bottle now sits on the firewall. I'm sure you could adapt an overflow bottle from another vehicle without too much pain.

Did you keep your silencer (I think that's what it's called), and if so, where is it?
Yes its under the battery tray. If I get the chance this weekend I will pull the battery and tray and take a pic.

To fit the silencer under the tray you have to trim its mounting brackets slightly and run a 90 degree heater hose; needs to be longer than stock.

Here to help

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom