Deleted Fusible Link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it appears my fusible link has been deleted. Luckily I rushed and ordered 2 because I knew they were known to go bad and everyone says to keep one in your glove box as a backup.

IMG_6351[1].JPG

3fe?

Yea that’s not a good rats nest, but I’ve seen worse. At least there’s no teck screws or wire nuts involved.

What the hell is this about? Was the car wrecked and battery cable cut by the fire department? Or were they lazy when they took their winch off?

Also what happened to half of your battery box? God I hate crack head PO’s
DDB24B9C-EE6D-44B4-9678-06B7D7BA2DC4.png

I’m starting to think the fusible link is the least of the concerns here…. At least it’s a start.

There are far too many unprotected (no fuse or breaker) lines coming off the + terminal and a major absence of protective wire loom. This is how electrical fires happen, needs work asap, send me a Pm if you need some help/advice.

So it appears my fusible link has been deleted. Luckily I rushed and ordered 2 because I knew they were known to go bad and everyone says to keep one in your glove box as a backup.

View attachment 2928745
The P.O. should probably delete the methpipe. I wouldn't drive that until you figure out the creative wiring if. If you don't have an EWD and FSM that should be your first purchase.

Fusible link may be deleted, who really knows. I think everyone has stressed that this is an electrical fire just waiting for the right time to start. I would disconnect that wiring mess first. Then, figure out which of those 20+ wires are needed. Trace them out, and if they are needed, use wire loom, use a fuse, and no bare wire ever. If you can't determine what the wire goes to, leave it disconnected. Eventually you'll get that figured out, then get your new fusible link installed. All kidding aside, I wouldn't drive it like that. IMHO, YMMV, MGHMOY if you drive it like that.

No one is raggin on you, in fact we all want to help you fix it.

Sounds like a learning experience. One of the most important things I look for when buying cars is aftermarket wiring and how it was done, it speaks to how the rest of the car was cared for. This is based on my experience, the first 80 I bought (which is the one I still have) was a cluster F of s***ty wiring. I ended up replacing the entire engine and dash harnesses and learned a lot through the process. Since then I've traded through dozens of cruisers and that's the first thing I look for.

No one is raggin on you, in fact we all want to help you fix it.

Sounds like a learning experience. One of the most important things I look for when buying cars is aftermarket wiring and how it was done, it speaks to how the rest of the car was cared for.

Oh ya Im not assuming anyone's flaming me man thank you though, I get your all trying to help just saying I just picked it up. Gotta wait on parts to get here to just chuck the whole mess of e-fan wiring. Got the random cut wire off and the strange not protected at all junction block.

Indeed, that pic shows a rat's nest for sure. It also tells me that your electrical issues do not end there. My point is, the bad wiring generally does not stop there. The amount of old and badly executed wiring I remove from vehicles is astounding. I'd take a peek up under the dash and in the radio area as well. Check the fuse block for add a taps etc as well

I’m guessing the fuse box may look the same. If it is an aftermarket stereo, they probably didn’t go with one of the plug-in connectors and instead just put the wires together and taped them. How many times have I seen that?

We all want to help. And we all recognize the issues. Luckily, you’ve only had a few days and it sounds like you are off to a good start.

The other good thing is, once you get rid of it and do it all yourself, you will know that it’s done right, and will know what everything connects to.

Hola Amigos
I have the same issue. New rig had horrible wiring. I have removed all of it an will reinstall at a later date.
But I need to know how to properly install a fuseable link. There is not one present and the PO has run a wire from the battery to the plug. Where do the other 2 wires of the link go to?
Cheers in advance

Hola Amigos
I have the same issue. New rig had horrible wiring. I have removed all of it an will reinstall at a later date.
But I need to know how to properly install a fuseable link. There is not one present and the PO has run a wire from the battery to the plug. Where do the other 2 wires of the link go to?
Cheers in advance

Fusible link AM1 runs to the junction block AM1 terminal.
Fusible link AM2 connects to the grey connector.
Fusible link MAIN connects to the junction block MAIN terminal.

1692804071188.png

Thanks @jonheld. Ok now I have more questions. I don't have a junction box anywhere. I can't figure how they have wired everything to work without it. There doesn't seem to be any additional wires running to the battery. Just the starter, 2nd battery isolator and then the deleted fuseable link wire that runs to the plug only. How do would I go about reconnecting everything up properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom