Defining the Optimal Speaker Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
I want to upgrade my speaker system because my tape deck has decided to stop working. I have decided on a good JVC HU;

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CPFaCWyWfN3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=257KDDV510

and I have searched threads after threads about speaker size and required modifications, but found only this. Speaker depth; no deeper than 2.5", and roughly 6" for min modification, and that is in the front.

I do not want a list of what systems that you guys have found, but I want to know if these speakers will fit in my front doors without any metal fabrication;

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CPFaCW...w.asp?g=52000&I=108637I&search=Infinity+Kappa

Thank you for your help and guidance time and time again...

:beer:

dont know anything about speakers, but my buddy has a set mounted at the rear of his truck on the ceiling of his cruiser...since they are pointed towards you they seem much louder over the sound of the tires...works welll.

I would go with Focal V-Slims in the front and Focal woofers in the rear, add an amp and a subwoofer and you will be lovin it even more. (But you really don't even need and amp or a subwoofer with these.) They handle everything so well. The V-slims fit really nicely and have a separate devastating lil tweeter that mounts above the midranges in the front. they are awesome speakers. No fabricating needed except drilling a hole for the tweeters. Too bad the weather seals on my windows let so much water in during the fall that the midranges froze and popped.Make sure your wiindows don't allow water to leak down into your door or it will be cash money down the drain!

Ps. I'd also go with an Alpine stereo. They are the best in the biz. :cheers:

Last edited:
lowtideride said:
dont know anything about speakers, but my buddy has a set mounted at the rear of his truck on the ceiling of his cruiser...since they are pointed towards you they seem much louder over the sound of the tires...works welll.

Did he use a Jeep Grand Cherokee setup? I'd like to do this, especially since when you ride with a load, it doesn't cut off the rear speaker output, its coming from above!

ebay

Ok, but what about speaker diameter sizes? Will 5.25" fit? Will 6.5" fit?

I like that roof mount idea. Do you have pics?

ok, I have 5.25 in the 4 doors(left and right wired in series and a 12" pyle sub in the rear briged. All on a 1000w 4 chanel amp with a clarion deck. Man does it rock. the bass hits hard and the mids and highs are crystal clear. I need to add the amp has built in crossovers and they work fine for my application. All in all I have about 600 bucks in it.

Love it!!!

WALoeIII said:
Did he use a Jeep Grand Cherokee setup? I'd like to do this, especially since when you ride with a load, it doesn't cut off the rear speaker output, its coming from above!

i think he just screwed it thru the roof...

Went with a Kenwood KDC MP2028 with an adaptor to plug my Ipod into the changer output. Speakers are 5.25" Sony Xplods in the front doors, 6x9's in the rear panels and an Infinity Basslink sub woofer. It kinda' rocks. Not bad for a low budget system.

I crutchfield might be high but they give you a straight wiring harness that fits on the new cars which saves a lot of time and full install kit on most cars. On a cruiser it does not really matter since I would run new speaker wire to all the speakers. I went with some Alpines in the front doors and mounted some 6x9 in the rear with some new panels I made.The front alpines I put in stick out just a hair since I had to add a washer behind them so the windows would clear them when down all the way.

Let me ask the question differently, what is the size of the stock speakers?

Stay away from 6x9s, they're loud but in my experience they don't sound that good. I think you're better off getting some standard 3 way 6.5s, much better IMHO.

Front I have VERY small speakers, they do not measure more than 5 inches. Photos coming up, I'll edit this when they're ready.

speaker.jpg

speaker_close_jpg.JPG

speaker_measure.jpg

Go to my gallery to view bigger shots.
http://andrewloe.com/gallery/view/misc/speakers/

Last edited:
Sweet. I'm thinking about 6.5 inch Infinities. How hard will that be?

GLTHFJ60 said:

No idea, I don't even know if those are the original mounts (although I think they are). What I would really suggest doing is getting a nice component set, and getting custom kickpanels (so they're in the footwells - plenty of space!), this way you can put your tweeter up on the dash and the mids down low which tends to sound much better. The highs (from tweeters) get drowned out by the road noise, putting them up higher won't let this happen, you can also fill the doors with sound insulator too.

Good idea. Do you know where I can source some of these parts?

WALoeIII said:
Please just make sure you aren't buying from Crutchfield. They're so overpriced. Search around online you'll find the same items for 20% less. Froogle.com

Millionbuy is the first place I look for stuff once I figure out what I want. Crutchfield is outstanding for research and customer service, but it's not uncommon for me to find stuff at Millionbuy for half of Crutchfield's price. They also ship VERY quickly, and have excellent customer service. I'm glad to see their business is getting bigger, but hope it doesn't hurt their quality of prices and service.

Hey Lowtide, is your buddy's setup in a 60/62 series? If there's a good way to do this, I wouldn't hesitate to do it in my rig.

GLTHFJ60, the stock sizes are 6.5" in the rear and 5.25" in the front. When I installed my Pioneers a few years ago, I was able to file a little off the outer ring of their grilles and retain the factory protective covers. Didn't really protect 'em much, but it least they LOOK protected :D

Thank you. Those are the numbers that I was looking for.

Lowtide,

Further explain your buddy's setup, please!

GLTHFJ60 said:

I just finished putting some in my front doors. It took a little trimming to make the opening a little bigger, but the depth is fine. Just use a metal blade in a jigsaw, and either predrill the hole or use self-tapping screws. Take the time to run new wire back to the head unit, the old stuff looked pretty weak.

Cameron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom