Defining the Optimal Speaker Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking about buying the best cable for my system in case I decided to upgrade in the future.

:beer:

GLTHFJ60 said:
I was thinking about buying the best cable for my system in case I decided to upgrade in the future.

Monster Cable is the best bang for the buck. Alot of people say it's just overpriced crap, but I say they're delusional. When I first upgraded my stereo it sounded like s*** because the factory wiring was picking up horrible alternator whine somewhere. So I took out all my factory speaker wires and ran Monster Cable XLN 16AWG wire from the amp to all the speakers and it's outstanding wire. No more alternator whine and ig made a huge improvement in the overall sound quality from the speakers. It's getting harder and harder to find alot of their products around where I live though, so I'll likely use Rockford wires for everything other than the speakers (I can still get the XLN easily enough).

Monster Cable? I have some optical cable from that company to run my comp's stereo system. It seems to be durable and have amazing transmission qualities. I didn't know that they made copper speaker wire too. Tell me more!!

GLTHFJ60 said:
Monster Cable? I have some optical cable from that company to run my comp's stereo system. It seems to be durable and have amazing transmission qualities. I didn't know that they made copper speaker wire too. Tell me more!!

Oh hell yeah. Take a look at their site. I try to get all my cable supplies from them if I can find it at a local shop.

Damn. That's expensive. It seems to be really good stuff though. What type did you get?

GLTHFJ60 said:
Damn. That's expensive. It seems to be really good stuff though. What type did you get?

Just the standard XLN two conductor speaker wire. I routed it the same as my factory wire (it's a bitch getting it through to the doors). I couldn't justify spending the money on audiophile grade wire for a 4x4 truck :D

The XLN was about a buck a foot and IIRC it took about 40 feet, which still left me some spare wire.

Good to know. How did you snake it around? Did you tape the end of the new wire to the old and pull it out?

GLTHFJ60 said:
Good to know. How did you snake it around? Did you tape the end of the new wire to the old and pull it out?

Nah it was much easier to just pull the old wire out and add the Monster Cable wire in, pressing it through the split looms. It's pretty easy to figure out how the stock wires are routed when you look at the color codes and find the locations of the major sections of the wire harness.

Also try and keep your power wire away from the speaker wire going to amps and speakers. This will help you form picking up any engine noise in your speakers. You know that noise some cars have when they rev the motor, you can hear it in the car. By keeping the two seperate, like running power wire down one side of the car and running speaket down the other side will help this out. Also, try not to run speaker wire down the middle of the car, the drive line can make the noise as well.

Hope this helps

Wow. I didn't think that speaker wire had the crosstalk issues that Cat - 5 has. Would twisting the wires help? What about extra insulation? How is it stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom