December 9, Family Fun Run- New River Canyon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll be there.

Had really planned to be there!! Even talked the wife into going. (Had to promise her the trail wouldn't scare the $%*@ out of her) However --- my niece's baby girl decided to enter the world 2 weeks early. She's 8 lbs 7 ozs of joy and has disrupted everyone's week-end. Hopefully I can make the next run.

Had really planned to be there!! Even talked the wife into going. (Had to promise her the trail wouldn't scare the $%*@ out of her) However --- my niece's baby girl decided to enter the world 2 weeks early. She's 8 lbs 7 ozs of joy and has disrupted everyone's week-end. Hopefully I can make the next run.

:) Congratulations Ray and family!

That's a valid excuse! Congrats!!

Hope everyone has a great time today, I am at my desk again... :rolleyes:

Don't feel too bad. I'm driving my paint brush today. John

The kids and I are bummed that we couldn't make it to this this one... They always have a great time on these family outings.

Hope you all have fun today.. see you at the next one ;)

I had to bail out also. The youngest started throwing up around 0300 this morning with the flu. Then she was upset because we could not go on the trip. The oldest started to throw up at 0800. I guess on the bright side no one puked in my trucks on the trail. :bang:

Well, nobody's replied with a post-run report, so I'll add my experience:

My brother and I met up with the caravan at Pima & Cave Creek at about 9:20a and headed out to 7 Springs. Air Down at one of the paved sections just before 7 Springs, and the count was 6 LandCruisers (*4xFJ/FZJ-80's, 1x55 and 1x40 - and 1xJeep). John was leading the pack with Jackson in tailgun position;
21mg842.jpg

The East to West route for FR41 seemed to be rougher than the last time my brother and I ran this W->E. I quickly understood why LCPhil was saying this run isn't 'Princess Approved' in his household, as it was pretty bumpy in places, and questionably stocker-friendly in others. We stopped for a short lunch break at the Boulder Stack so the kids could climb around, and it was a great day, very little wind, and clear blue skies. As always, pictures tend to lose the 3-D nature of the terrain, but you can make out some of the elevation changes going up the switchbacks after the mid-trail lunch stop:
hteceb.jpg

Most of the way to the Boulder Stack, we came around a bend an off to the left side was a recently rolled Jeep CJ7, green, and with the hood buckled up and the windscreen tweaked at an unnatural angle, pointing up the hill. Not everybody saw it as we came by, but looked like it had been rolled and left out there for later recovery. We didn't stop, as nobody was around, and it was down the ravine about 50-60yds, and off the main track.

Every once in awhile on the trail, with my windows down, I kept hearing a strange sound, like: "digga-digga-digga-digga", and looking in the rear view mirror finally realized it was HitIt66 right on my tail for most of the hill climb;
1zo7ywl.jpg

His 40 was running really well, and he also took on a challenge when we all seemed to default to the bypass (except for Jackson and John, who came down it smoothly, and Jackson had a truckload of family, too). Looked like a bumpy ride, but HitIt66 made it most of the way up, and then back down. At one point in the climbing switchbacks, oncoming Jeep traffic refused to yield to John in the lead, and was hesitant to back up at all, so we all just found places to pull over and let him come on down.

After the switchbacks up to the altitude apogee, the quick trail back down into the valley took us over to Table Mesa overpass and a good place to air up;
35m4pcz.jpg

The riverbed showed no water crossings (all dry), and we were only in State Trust Land for about 2-3 miles between gates. There was some discussion about what 'written permission' you needed to access State Trust Land - even if just passing through, as I'd been told by an MCSO Sheriff that a hunting license was your written permission, even if you weren't hunting. For the $20 fee (though it has to be mailed in), it might be worth it for a 12-month usage permit. I've only been stopped the once, with a positive interaction, but that was years ago.

All in all, a fun 1/2 day run, and got to spend some time on the trail before putting the truck into Camelback Toyota with Murf for the head gasket replacement and related work. Can't wait to get it back now.

Thanks to John for organizing the run, Richard for leading it for a bit after the Boulder Stack, and to Jackson for bringing up the rear, which can be a dusty role. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip, and looking forward to the next one,

Last edited:
I see a piggie :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom