Dealer screwed up the oil change - questions to have my ducks in a row (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@mooneywa how did this end up?
Took it back and decided to drive to the dealer vice tow after multiple engine oil checks that suggested that was within limits. Dealer claims that the tech overfilled the t-case. They used 4 cans of brake cleaner to clean t-case oil off the bottom of the 200. No further issues noted other than it took driving from Houston to the Grand Canyon before the burning gear oil smell went away. That was real nice.

Did the service writer, manager, or the person who called me after I gave them an awful review offer any type of compensation for my time to come all the way back there and sit around delaying our trip for them to do a half-a job of cleaning it up? Absolutely not. I got a bunch of shrugs and sorry's, which is worth exactly what it cost to give them. Complete clown-shoe operation.

We're moving to Fort Worth, so barring any big warranty issues, I'll hopefully be able to find a better dealer up there.

Took it back and decided to drive to the dealer vice tow after multiple engine oil checks that suggested that was within limits. Dealer claims that the tech overfilled the t-case. They used 4 cans of brake cleaner to clean t-case oil off the bottom of the 200. No further issues noted other than it took driving from Houston to the Grand Canyon before the burning gear oil smell went away. That was real nice.

Did the service writer, manager, or the person who called me after I gave them an awful review offer any type of compensation for my time to come all the way back there and sit around delaying our trip for them to do a half-a job of cleaning it up? Absolutely not. I got a bunch of shrugs and sorry's, which is worth exactly what it cost to give them. Complete clown-shoe operation.

We're moving to Fort Worth, so barring any big warranty issues, I'll hopefully be able to find a better dealer up there.
Hit and miss with dealers up here in DFW area.

Great, small independent shop in Fort Worth called LexuTech. That's who I trust to work on my 200, my wife's GX, and our other Toyotas in the family. They are solid, dependable, and trustworthy.

Hit and miss with dealers up here in DFW area.

Great, small independent shop in Fort Worth called LexuTech. That's who I trust to work on my 200, my wife's GX, and our other Toyotas in the family. They are solid, dependable, and trustworthy.
Great rec. Appreciate it. Perhaps we'll give them a try for non-warranty work.

I'm planning to take my '21 to the dealer for it's first oil change, never have done that, and really reconsidering it after this thread.

My 80 had a new engine put in because the dealer double-gasketed the oil filter on the first oil change. I bought it with 100k on it.

My 100 had the oil double-filled by the dealer at 65k, they couldn't figure out why the strange vibration. I bought it that way with their promise to figure out and fix it. They brought in a master mechanic from headquarters in California, he checked and replaced everything he could think of, then replaced the torque-converter, finally gave up and gave it to me with the vibration still there. I noticed the oil overfilled, sent my wife to have them change it again, still driving it 200k later.

@scottm - maybe give some thought to going to a Lexus dealer? Statistically, they're more likely to service 200s than your average Toyota dealer does and Lexus always has better customer care. I can't really tell you why I decided to use the Toyota dealer instead of Lexus. I will say that I use a dealer mostly because of the recourse if something is hosed up. Even with a high quality independent shop, there's at least a corporate entity up the ladder with Toyota that doesn't exist elsewhere.

@scottm - maybe give some thought to going to a Lexus dealer? Statistically, they're more likely to service 200s than your average Toyota dealer does and Lexus always has better customer care. I can't really tell you why I decided to use the Toyota dealer instead of Lexus. I will say that I use a dealer mostly because of the recourse if something is hosed up. Even with a high quality independent shop, there's at least a corporate entity up the ladder with Toyota that doesn't exist elsewhere.
Good suggestion. I'm not sure how many LX are in Grand Rapids where I bought this, LC are certainly rare. I don't know how much recourse I'll have if any dealership messes up a simple oil change, but at least it will be documented. Feels like I might as well go to my small-town dealership that messed up the 100 oil change. Maybe pick up some filters and start doing them myself.

One large difference between an 80 and a 200 is our 5.7 is shared with the tundra, and you can bet dealers change oil on them all the time. They might mess up the skids, they often mess up the recirculate flap in the AC, but they’ve seen a zillion of these engines and statistically speaking are probably very unlikely to mess up an engine via oil change error.

One large difference between an 80 and a 200 is our 5.7 is shared with the tundra, and you can bet dealers change oil on them all the time. They might mess up the skids, they often mess up the recirculate flap in the AC, but they’ve seen a zillion of these engines and statistically speaking are probably very unlikely to mess up an engine via oil change error.

The dealership’s shop may have indeed changed the oil on a large number of Toyota 5.7 engines... but many dealerships now employ entry level individuals to work the oil change line. Many of these individuals are not sure if they truly want to be mechanics and there is a high employee turnover rate. It’s likely that the specific individual who is next up to perform an oil change will be using your car for on-the-job training.

Learn to change your own oil or find a reputable independent mechanic.

Dealers suck, regardless of brand IME. Well, I don't have experience with high-end brands, say Porsche, but with Subaru, Toyota or BMW they all sucked balls. Bunch of incompetents monkeys they screw up more things than they fix.

I dread going to dealers for any reason and I am not looking forward to the recall work on the 2015.

I always add a little extra challenge to the Lexus dealers oil and filter change I have them use a Blackstone kit for an oil sample which means they have to pay attention take a little sample halfway through the draining and then I have them give me the old oil filter in a separate bag so far this is worked. In Atlanta I had a 90,000 mile service done at the Lexus dealer on my wife’s ES 300 since at the Lexus dealer they also have the mechanic do the oil and filter change as well as the other work he forgot to put oil back in her he has 300. Story goes that they told me was that he was working on two different cars and the yard guy came out today and ask him if he was done with the ES 300 he indicated he was the guy slammed her drove the car around drove it through the car wash drove it into the service bay it was running the whole time and they called me up to pay my bill and then I went out and got into the car. Drove out of the garage with the bright side honey sun in my eyes and turned right on Peachtree Street which time I could see the oil light was on but I couldn’t turn around so I had to drive around the block and back into the dealership drove directly back into the service bay kept the car and it got out pop the hood sure enough there were wrenches on top of the engine I called the service guy over we turn the engine off pulled out the dipstick not a drop of oil in it. They comped the service apologized and I had the GM/owner give me a guarantee in writing that if anything went wrong with the engine up until 200,000 miles they will fix it. Within about 40,000 miles I retired moved halfway across the country when my wife and I started noticing that every morning at start up blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe which would last for about for five minutes once she got the engine warm It wouldn’t smoke anymore. I always check everything before I ever leave the Lexus dealership or any dealership oil level I look under I check everything in next morning when I get home before I start it I’ll check the well call me paranoid.

The dealership’s shop may have indeed changed the oil on a large number of Toyota 5.7 engines... but many dealerships now employ entry level individuals to work the oil change line. Many of these individuals are not sure if they truly want to be mechanics and there is a high employee turnover rate. It’s likely that the specific individual who is next up to perform an oil change will be using your car for on-the-job training.

Learn to change your own oil or find a reputable independent mechanic.
I agree, and our recirculate flaps are evidence of that. Or the fact that many front driveshafts never get greased during routine maintenance there.

But the 5.7 is not a rare engine and if you need an oil change at a dealer, such as in the middle of a roadtrip, this is one of the few procedures you can assume they’ve got a fair amount of experience with.

Lexus is no better, I got jerked off completely at my local one when i went for an oil change a coupla weeks ago. Just moved, don't have enough unpacked and whatnot, figured Lexus would be able to handle it. Negative.

My current dealer here in Jacksonville Florida they don’t have an hourly employee doing oil filter changes they have a certified technician that does it yes that’s why It costs 100 bucks to get your oil and filter changed but I’d rather pay and get it done Buy a professional. Don’t get me wrong before I leave I look under the vehicle I pop the hood I checked the dipstick I did a complete walk around 😜

My current dealer here in Jacksonville Florida they don’t have an hourly employee doing oil filter changes they have a certified technician that does it yes that’s why It costs 100 bucks to get your oil and filter changed but I’d rather pay and get it done Buy a professional. Don’t get me wrong before I leave I look under the vehicle I pop the hood I checked the dipstick I did a complete walk around 😜
Based on your avatar pic, how do you even fit under the LC? Your LC must be lifted!

Lexus is no better, I got jerked off completely at my local one when i went for an oil change a coupla weeks ago. Just moved, don't have enough unpacked and whatnot, figured Lexus would be able to handle it. Negative.
In a way this reinforces the point above about tundras. Lexus dealers won’t see many 5.7s, only the ones in LX570s. Many, many more IS/RX/ES/etc.
On the other hand I’d expect them to be less likely to break the recirc flap.

Smartly, I kept the glove box locked, key on me. Just unfortunate to deal with dopes. Looks like I'll be changing my own oil from now on, so ill be learning as well

Smartly, I kept the glove box locked, key on me. Just unfortunate to deal with dopes. Looks like I'll be changing my own oil from now on, so ill be learning as well
Sadly being a dope is profitable these days.

Your truck will be better off with someone that cares about it doing the maintenance. Also get a grease gun so you can do your drive lines and you’ll handle much of the work you’d be paying someone else to do, and trusting them not to screw up.

Sadly being a dope is profitable these days.

Your truck will be better off with someone that cares about it doing the maintenance. Also get a grease gun so you can do your drive lines and you’ll handle much of the work you’d be paying someone else to do, and trusting them not to screw up.
Two grease guns. Moly for the driveshaft sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom