Dealer screwed up the oil change - questions to have my ducks in a row (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took my '17 into Fred Haas Toyota in Houston for a t-case oil change and engine oil change. It's the wife's car now so handed it back to her and she didn't drive it for a day after the change. She drove 65 miles rndtp to work on the 2nd day after the change and I remember thinking I smelled a bit of oil but figured it was just some residual from a sloppy tech. Tonight (day 3) after she gets back from the same commute, the Cruiser absolutely reeks of burned oil. It's Saturday, but she got home after 5pm so I'm stuck until Monday. I search under the car and there's oil EVERYWHERE. Driveshaft, crossmembers, exhaust, you name it, on the driver's side. I check the dipstick and I can barely see oil on the very bottom indentation. My guess is that the drain plug was not put back on correctly.

I'm not touching a single thing on the car (like taking off skid plates to see if the oil drain plug is intact) because I don't want them to try and play games with me about responsibility.

A couple questions I'm hoping to get some help on:
The owner's manual doesn't describe what the dipstick should look like other than to give measurements, but I'm guessing only a very light residue of oil on the dipstick and a fair amount in the bottom indentation is not a correct amount?
In the chance that this is an issue with the change in t-case oil, would that look notably different?
I'm guessing I should have it towed back over to the dealer (20 miles)?
I'm guessing there's about 140 miles on it, what should be checked or frankly replaced, if say, half of that was done with minimal or no oil?

I'm of course supposed to be on the road at 9am Monday heading to a military change of command and following that with a 3000 mile road trip to Arizona. So to say I'm displeased is a colossal understatement. Just the same, I'm not putting myself in a position to be rushed or accept a vehicle that should be serviced much further.

Tips or considerations beyond the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you, I'd snap as many pictures as possible first. Call them, convince them to tow the truck back to the dealership due to the intense smell of burned oil, then let them diagnose at the shop. You need to be firm you want a full report of any issues and fixes, including pics. Don't tell them you investigated and have your own pics. You want to evaluate their honesty before you turn up the wick if need be.

When they report back, see if their story jibes with your pics. If not, it is time to meet with both the service AND general manager at the same time, in the GMs office, and get explanations by laying out their explanations vs your pics. Be firm but fair, and don't leave your seat in the GMs office until things make sense and are fairly sorted. Check your state laws, but it wouldn't be unwise to covertly record all of the audio. Wearing your stripes sure won't hurt if it is applicable and allowed etc.

In my past experiences, being firm and fair, along with not sharing all evidence up front, gets me where I need to go fastest.

I would observe them the entire time. Do not let them take it back their without your watchful eye.

This is exactly why dealers don’t do work on my cars anymore.

It should be fairly quick to determine if it's from the engine oil pan or transfer case. The transfer case drain plug is is on the rear side, covered directly by the tubular bracing. If it was from the transfer case I would think there would be minimal oil spray forward of it due to the airflow while driving, and there would be accumulation on the bracing. It sounds like the engine oil pan is more likely from what you're describing.

Good luck; I hope everything works out okay.

Sounds to me like the oil filter cartridge was not properly re-installed. Oil filter is on the driver's side and the oil residue is on the driver's side.

I hope it's that simple, but I agree with contacting the dealer immediately on Monday morning to have them pick it up and flatbed it in for immediate analysis.

HTH

I’m very sorry to hear this. I hope it works in your favor and keep us posted. I’ll cross Fred Haas off the list for service if i ever take mine to the dealer.

Slightly different because I’m in Canada, I had the same experience, pinched gasket on the filter. I threw a quart in and it came up to add so I had them come and pick it up, they refilled, cleaned and returned it.

I wouldn't touch it. Have them flatbed it to the dealer, and make it right.

To your questions......your description of the dipstick indicates an engine oil leak. It should have clean oil all the way up to the full mark. T-case gear oil stinks, so it’s not likely that. Yes, have the dealer tow it on a flatbed. I’ll guess that @gaijin has it right and the filter housing was not installed correctly. The engine oil is leaking from that and the burned smell if from oil on the exhaust. Installing the filter correctly, adding oil, and doing a massive cleanup with under body shields removed will hopefully fix it all up. The dealer should give you some major consideration for the hassle.

The same thing happened on my ‘17 with an ignorant dealer tech screwing up the filter work. I discovered the leak immediately from the pool of oil on my garage floor when I got home. I’ve never been back to that dealer.

Filter housing gasket, either missing or on wrong grove or even perhaps old one not removed?

If I were you, I'd snap as many pictures as possible first. Call them, convince them to tow the truck back to the dealership due to the intense smell of burned oil, then let them diagnose at the shop. You need to be firm you want a full report of any issues and fixes, including pics. Don't tell them you investigated and have your own pics. You want to evaluate their honesty before you turn up the wick if need be.

When they report back, see if their story jibes with your pics. If not, it is time to meet with both the service AND general manager at the same time, in the GMs office, and get explanations by laying out their explanations vs your pics. Be firm but fair, and don't leave your seat in the GMs office until things make sense and are fairly sorted. Check your state laws, but it wouldn't be unwise to covertly record all of the audio. Wearing your stripes sure won't hurt if it is applicable and allowed etc.

In my past experiences, being firm and fair, along with not sharing all evidence up front, gets me where I need to go fastest.

This. I’d pretty much follow this to the letter. Your phone can record remarkably well.

This:

WP_20150707_005.jpg

Led to this:

WP_20150728_001.jpg

As others have suggested, document, flatbed, and the dealer should cover a rental for you. PM me if you want details.

Good luck!

Would suggest documenting the lack of warning light upon arrival at dealer when you tow it in. This would preclude them alleging someone drove it out of oil knowingly. Good luck

My brother is a 30 year Master Mechanic at a large dealership. He’s told me that many of the dealerships have now set up separate “Fast Lane” service centers within their service departments. The “Fast Lane” service centers are designed to compete with the Quick Lube type oil change shops. In order to keep costs low/profits high the dealerships hire inexperienced young people (as do many of the quick lube shops) to perform the work. The oil change employees are paid much less than the regular mechanics. They are not interested in cars and they are not interested in becoming career mechanics. They often quit after just a few weeks. So, taking your car to a dealership for an oil change, in many cases, is just as risky as taking your car to a quick lube shop.

Change your own oil or find a trustworthy independent mechanic. Just the fact that most dealerships won’t let you speak directly to the mechanic who worked on your car is red flag against trusting a dealership’s service department.

If you return the car without pulling the skid plate to take a look for yourself I don’t believe that you’ll ever know for sure what went wrong or what damage has been done.

They will never be able to prove if you removed the skid plate or not. I also think you are well within your rights since skid plate removal doesn't cause massive oil leaks.

Just don't tell them you did it until they tell you their side of the story and take pictures of absolutely everything. I usually give them a chance to be honest.

My brother is a 30 year Master Mechanic at a large dealership. He’s told me that many of the dealerships have now set up separate “Fast Lane” service centers within their service departments. The “Fast Lane” service centers are designed to compete with the Quick Lube type oil change shops. In order to keep costs low/profits high the dealerships hire inexperienced young people (as do many of the quick lube shops) to perform the work. The oil change employees are paid much less than the regular mechanics. They are not interested in cars and they are not interested in becoming career mechanics. They often quit after just a few weeks. So, taking your car to a dealership for an oil change, in many cases, is just as risky as taking your car to a quick lube shop.

Change your own oil or find a trustworthy independent mechanic. Just the fact that most dealerships won’t let you speak directly to the mechanic who worked on your car is red flag against trusting a dealership’s service department.

If you return the car without pulling the skid plate to take a look for yourself I don’t believe that you’ll ever know for sure what went wrong or what damage has been done.
To that end, a family member’s Honda had the engine air filter put back in the box upside down after it’s condition was checked, and she said she’d hold off on that job til the next oil change. I doubt it was on purpose. But the box wouldn’t even latch shut... and still much of what was on the dirty side of the filter got pulled right into the engine. This was at the largest Honda dealer in one of the biggest cities in the US.
Dealer maintenance, for me, is an absolute last resort.

Sorry this happened. I used to live in the area. Fred Haas is known for crappy service. I took the Tundra I had to them for a recall on the rear bumper. Total PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom