Dash Knobs...who's got them? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I thought i would go ahead and install the dash switches and knobs.....problem is some of my knobs are cracked or broken.

I found "Knobs.com" from the search button but it looks like he has closed his business......Where can I get replacement knobs? I have looked everywhere.

Thanks,

Find a crappy beat to s*** 40 and rape it but good. Just did this a couple weeks ago and got a bunch of stuff.... for dirt cheap.

D

Thunk Redline is reproducing billet units..

I've seen some pretty decent 3D printing results if followed by an acetone bath/mist. Essentially "melts" the outer plastic layer and gives it a smooth, glossy sheen. I think I may have mentioned that in the other thread. That said, the plastic we use at my company for prototyping is most likely a little to flimsy to use as a knob material. Some of the higher end, higher res printers are doing some really cool things with ABS plastics, though. That said, at face value - I totally agree. Most "off the shelf" 3D printers don't have the resolution and precision to make an attractive product. Functional, yes, attractive, no. Looking forward to seeing the results as well.

The problem with acetone smoothing is that hard corners do not survive. So if you try to print the face markings/engravings acetone smoothing will surely obliterate them along with the hard chine between the knob face and body.

I do a lot of 3d printing and considered that route back when I was making knobs, I think the idea is a nonstarter, except with a high end SLA printer. All that guy said he had was FDM printers, however... I just don't see it working.

The problem with acetone smoothing is that hard corners do not survive. So if you try to print the face markings/engravings acetone smoothing will surely obliterate them along with the hard chine between the knob face and body.

I do a lot of 3d printing and considered that route back when I was making knobs, I think the idea is a nonstarter, except with a high end SLA printer. All that guy said he had was FDM printers, however... I just don't see it working.

You would certainly know better than I would. I'm a scientist, but sometimes I pretend to be an engineer.

Wish you were still making your gauge clusters - I've got a couple non-functional gauges I would love to replace!

http://s480.photobucket.com/user/RE...000_resized_1_zpszgzpyz1r.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Ok so here is what we have so far. These are rendered from the wiper knob shape from the late 70's era 40 series. Right now we are using these for all of our knobs on the FJ-UTE. These are billet aluminum, then anodized gloss black. We can tumble them for a flat black look, but the small radius area at the main base section turns gloss black due to the tumble media not being able to get in. From that point we ship them to a laser etcher for the text specs. This burns in white lettering and does not cut into the knob material it's self, creating a sooth to touch face! What we are thinking now is to recreate the light knob shape and heater knob shape and have those knobs done the same way to recreate an accurate dash for the 40 series. Please let me know what you guys think. We are pondering the idea of selling these to the public based on feedback!

Thanks again

Justin

Justin,

Like some of the other guys here, been watching your manufacture of these knobs for a while. Also, some of us are not rolling in dough, so the eventual price to buy a set becomes an issue.

Have you given any thought to producing just the raw knobs in aluminum, unanodized, maybe with or without the engraving, to keep the overall costs down for some of us interested in buying a full set?

They look good, and certainly for someone who hates plastic components, a welcome improvement.

Bravo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom