Damn hot engine temps from supercharger install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don't know whether to laugh or cry. New supercharger breathed new life (pun intended) into my '97 LX450, for sure. OK, the head rebuild and the injector service could have played a role too.

But my coolant temps are quite a bit higher than before the work. Prior to the head gasket work/sc install, I would run 185-190 deg F with the A/C running in town. Now I am running 195-205 deg F and higher at stop lights. Outside ambient is hot, around 95 deg F.

I am running an landtank modded orange fan hub and fresh green coolant (I switched to green 12 years ago and have flushed multiple times since then). I put a new Koyo rad in 5 years and 30000 miles ago. Belts are new Toyota OEM, hoses are OEM a couple of years old.

I am running about 5 deg advance on timing and the stock plugs (have the turbo MR2 plugs on order).

Am I missing anything obvious? If I had to do it over again, I'd reconsider adding the s/c if I have to fight engine overheat all the time.

Tom

I ran into this before and it would run so hot it would shut down the ac in temps over 105.
Tried everything you could imagine to relieve the running hot.
The 80 was built with a Kazuma, ARB winch bumper, winch, dual battery, underhood compressor....
Rebuilt the ac fan clutch with 10k cst oil. Helped moderately
Louvered the hood. no change
Installed lower temp thermostat. no change
Changed radiator to a 3 row custom aluminum radiator... no change (talk about a let down)
Head gasket. no change
Basically the engine bay was full and not enough airflow passing through it.
Finally put 2 very powerful pusher fans (don't remember the brand) in front of the radiator which helped more than anything but it still ran warmer than I liked in the summer.

Good luck, I hope I saved you some time

That's a bummer. Not sure what it could be. My Landtank clutch did wonders!. The only other thing is maybe the exhaust system is backing up?

i'd back off the timing for sure, but as far as the temps go, that's pretty much just what SC'd rigs do in hot weather with the AC on. You're pumping really hot air into the engine.

Been there done that. The temps aren't horrible actually. But there are things to look for. Advanced timing isn't helping you. Bad cats are something to look at especially if you had a blown head gasket.

My head gasket wasn't blown. I replaced it proactively as part of the upgrade. I will go out and reset the timing back to 3 deg BTDC and see what that does.

Not sure how to check the cats.

On the plus side, my oil pressure is higher at idle than it was before the head gasket and head work. Now just below the first hash mark. Used to be in the lower third of the gage at hot idle.

I've got a top mount intercooler, cx header, 3" exhaust, orange hub clutch/stock fan, koyorad full o' green, fresh hg, fresh everything cooling system related.
I don't think it ever passed 192° on the scanguage from Michigan to Colorado, all over the place and back. Usually just sits at 188° , even at 75mph with AC rockin. I have methanol injection but it wasn't working on my trip so that didn't contribute.
Oh yeah, timing is advanced a touch, right around 5°.

My head gasket wasn't blown. I replaced it proactively as part of the upgrade. I will go out and reset the timing back to 3 deg BTDC and see what that does.

Not sure how to check the cats.

Check inlet temps vs outlet temps on cat #1. Outlet should actually be about 100* hotter. Think of your cats as an oven, they need to cook the unburned exhaust.

Check inlet temps vs outlet temps on cat #1. Outlet should actually be about 100* hotter. Think of your cats as an oven, they need to cook the unburned exhaust.
So with my chinese infrared gun, I do have about 100 deg delta (285 deg F in, 385 deg F out) on Cat #1. This is at idle with a coolant temp of 195deg F.

I did reset my timing to 3 deg. I noticed a much smoother idle with the timing advanced a lot while fooling around. It idles rough at 3 deg. I am fighting a rough idle due to EGR problem, which I hope to have resolved tomorrow with a new modulator install.

We like to really make a big deal about temps in the 80 section. 205 is really not terrible as long as it's controllable and not running away. If you said you saw temps steadily rising and would just keep getting hotter if you didn't shut the truck off at 220, I would be pretty worried. This is the very hottest part of the summer so we expect these to be the hottest temps we will see. If anything I might add a pusher fan up front to help with A/C performance and truck on. I know easier said than done, but even on my truck without a SC blocking air flow it's been 97-100 here and I have been seeing 195-197 on the scan-gauge any other time of year I sit at 183-186.

205 is hot, huh?

I've been poking past 210 pretty frequently and even hit 221 once under poor conditions.

Here in valley heat and la traffic I'm running between 186-215, getting new cats help keep me stabilizing around 190's. I'm looking at adding a pusher fan.

i pretty mich stay in the 195-205 range and am not really worried about it...

a/c cut off is where i'd start to panic

I had this issue as well. I would check the cats and make sure the cooling system is burped correctly as well.

I am having the same problem with a newly installed SC. I just came back from Tennessee and i was running hot. Did you solve your overheating problems. What did you do to get it right. Thanks.

Got your message @Roxx ....

Id look into the fan clutch first if your radiator is a new unit. Do you have the black or blue? you should be able to drain and refill with heavier oil and calibrate it to 100* to get some increased cooling power. believe LandTank has a good write up on this I can look for. Or Joey at witsend has the orange and possibly a pre modded blue as well ready to go.

then the idea of checking for 100* difference pre and post cat would be an easy one too just to verify healthy exhaust

Where/How were you experiencing the overheating? highway speeds on grades? or even putzing along the trail?

It got over heated on the hills. I was cruising finenon the higheay until we got to the inclines. Took the right turn signal out to get cooler air into the air filter. It helped but still go to 3/4 of the gauge in the incline. To cool it down i used the inside heat and it would cool down almost instantly. I have some homework to do. I will keep you posted. Thanks.
Got your message @Roxx ....

Id look into the fan clutch first if your radiator is a new unit. Do you have the black or blue? you should be able to drain and refill with heavier oil and calibrate it to 100* to get some increased cooling power. believe LandTank has a good write up on this I can look for. Or Joey at witsend has the orange and possibly a pre modded blue as well ready to go.

then the idea of checking for 100* difference pre and post cat would be an easy one too just to verify healthy exhaust

Where/How were you experiencing the overheating? highway speeds on grades? or even putzing along the trail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom