Dakota Digital RTX Speedo Sensor Install Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks awesome! I have this and am planning the install. Still need to paint my tub, but trying to get all necessary holes, etc drilled first. I’ll probably install the switch somewhere in the dash.

Where did you mount the control panel? In the glove box? I think I’m going to mount it on the underside of the glove box (next to my 3FE ECU.

I’ve wondered if it’s possible to reprogram the RPM scale. I assumed it wasn’t something I could do, but thought about calling them and asking if I sent it in.

Last question is the VSS. I’ve read your post and others, but still a bit confused. For my engine (1992 3FE) and ECU, I know that the VSS was in the speedometer and connected to the ECU with a signal of 4 pulses per revolution. With this engine in my FJ40, I don’t have this. Can I assume I can install the Dakota Digital VSS and program it to send the correct signal?

Thanks again - been reading your build thread today. It’s been great as I am also planning an in tank fuel pump.

Looks awesome! I have this and am planning the install. Still need to paint my tub, but trying to get all necessary holes, etc drilled first. I’ll probably install the switch somewhere in the dash.

Where did you mount the control panel? In the glove box? I think I’m going to mount it on the underside of the glove box (next to my 3FE ECU.

I’ve wondered if it’s possible to reprogram the RPM scale. I assumed it wasn’t something I could do, but thought about calling them and asking if I sent it in.

Last question is the VSS. I’ve read your post and others, but still a bit confused. For my engine (1992 3FE) and ECU, I know that the VSS was in the speedometer and connected to the ECU with a signal of 4 pulses per revolution. With this engine in my FJ40, I don’t have this. Can I assume I can install the Dakota Digital VSS and program it to send the correct signal?

Thanks again - been reading your build thread today. It’s been great as I am also planning an in tank fuel pump.
I mounted the control box under the dash beneath the glove box.

You have to custom-order the RPM scale directly from Dakota Digital. You cannot change the RPM scale once you have already purchased. You could send it back in though.

With the adapters included with the Dakota Digital, the speed sensor is plug-and-play. Just install it on the transfer case. Thread in the adapter into the t-case, and then the electronic sensor onto the adapter. This will display speed on the Dakota gauge cluster. You still need to calibrate it though.

E2-C2-CE42-09-B7-48-EA-AE3-F-5-E06-A92851-EA.jpg

However, I’m not familiar with the 3FE, so I’m not sure if the ECU requires a separate speed input.

Last edited:
I think it does require a speed input I just don’t know if this will work or not. I’ll call them and ask about that, and sending in my unit for a change in RPM scale. Maybe they can change the speed too or switch me out for a different one - don’t think I’m going to be going anywhere near 120 :)

Thanks again.

Another question for you. How did you get the brass tang to fit? The little notch on the tang to catch the speedo gear is much to fat on the tang, compared to the original cable. It will not fit in the slot...see pics:

720530CB-EBD6-4C5B-A743-9D98E774521A.jpeg
E988AF47-9C88-4C62-8863-34ED55519CB0.jpeg
image.jpg

I called DD and they said that is the only adapter they have and they know it doesn’t fit all Toyota’s. Their only option was to get the GPS module, which I’m not really interested in right now.

How have other people done this?

Thanks.

Another question for you. How did you get the brass tang to fit? The little notch on the tang to catch the speedo gear is much to fat on the tang, compared to the original cable. It will not fit in the slot...see pics:

View attachment 2560654View attachment 2560655View attachment 2560656

I called DD and they said that is the only adapter they have and they know it doesn’t fit all Toyota’s. Their only option was to get the GPS module, which I’m not really interested in right now.

How have other people done this?

Thanks.
My tang fit no problem. What transfer case do you have?

H42 4 speed, from a 1978. The only thing I can think of is to grind the notch smaller.

@Curtice I think there is a difference between the FJ-60 split case transfer case speedometer sensor and the FJ-40, but I can't quite tell from visual inspection if the brass adapter would work on the stock FJ-40 case. I have a 1978 which I'm swapping from the H42 setup to an H55F with a split case.

Here's a pic of the stock case:
20210122_002859551_iOS.jpg

Note the single notch at about the 2 o'clock position. Now take a look at the split case:

20210122_002925379_iOS.jpg

Note the opposing grooves at about 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock. Also, to my eye they appear to be slightly larger than the stock case. I'm guessing that's the fundamental difference. Given this, it seems like you might need to modify the adapter to get it to work.

Also, install was much easier to install the brass adapter, the adapter cable, and then the electronic sensor. Trying to install the cable with the sensor already attached made it much more difficult to adjust everything to get it lined up.

@Will Van - I'm curious if you've done anything to secure the sensor? It seems like having an 8" adapter just dangle underneath the truck isn't ideal. I'm trying to think of a good way to secure it from too much excessive movement.

Thanks for the input. So mine has the opposing grooves as well, but I don’t have anything to compare the size to, beyond pictures. The only other thing I can think is that I did put a new speedo gear in when I rebuilt the transmission. But it was OEM.

It’s just weird that of all the people that have installed these gauges in their FJ40s, mine is the only one to have this problem? Makes me think it is a “me problem” 😡

I tried fitting it again last night just in case I was mixed up for some reason, but no dice. The notch on the tang is just much too big to fit in the groove.

Secondly, I was also thinking about how to secure the cable. Agree it seems weird to leave it like that.

Interesting, yep you do have the two slots now that I'm looking again. I'm not an expert in the differences here (if there is one). Would a reading on the slot size that I have on the split case help?

If you know the tang fits there, yeah that would be awesome! I will go out today and try to get a measurement on mine too.

Ok really hard to measure the actual slot size without pulling the speedometer gear off, so I can't really get a good measurement there. But the tang does fit snugly into the slot - I doubt it would fit into the slot in my stock t-case vs the split case. Install order is brass adapter, then the extension, then the speed sensor, but the brass adapter slides in easily for me.

Here's the brass adapter installed (fully seated into one of the slots). It fits snugly - there is no slop.

1611350901285.png

1611351539818.png

Brass adapter measures ~1.6mm, and since it fits snugly I'd expect the slot is just under that.

1611351021118.png

Super awkward with the parking break to measure the actual slot - sorry.

At a minimum I was thinking about running a zip tie to the parking brake cable to secure, or possibly constructing a bracket which would re-use one of the split case bolts to hold the cable. I'm a little surprised that no one has come up with something for that.

Also @Curtice you are relatively local to me if eyes on help, I'm in Redmond.

Ok some more info and I think I made it work. As I said, I put in a new (OEM) driven gear - the part that has the slots. Interestingly, my new one has two slots. I still had the old one and it has one slot. Also, the tang fit into it nicely into the old one (see pic). So my new OEM one must be slightly smaller, or maybe just not worn.

2DBF6DFD-344A-45FA-961E-2063091EDAF9.jpeg
image.jpg

So I decided to force it 😬. It actually didn’t take a lot of force to get it in there. It’s nice and snug and all buttoned up now.

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:
I try to avoid reviving old threads, but this is relevant. Above, the theory to the speedometer cable extension was to mate the gear to the sender threads. Well, I'm dealing with this now and it seems to me that the threads on both ends of the cable extension are SAE not metric. They mesh for about 5 turns then stops when screwing the cable collar onto the gear assembly. The gear assembly threads into the sender about the same. So, it makes no sense to use the cable. Plus, the cable is too long and pushes the gear out of the housing when assembled and the collar isn't even bottomed out due to the threads not meshing. So, I will just wrap the threads with teflon tape to seal and call it good.

I am finally getting around to installing my Dakota Digital RTX system in my 40 series. I have an H55F and Toyota twin stick split case from a 60 series.

The kit is supplied with a 7/8"-18 extension cable, presumably to adapt the Dakota Digital electronic speed sensor to the Toyota transfer case.
dak-130011_ml.jpg

However, the Dakota Digital speedo sensor threads directly onto the Toyota transfer case without the extension cable. Is there any reason why I can't just thread the DD speedo sensor directly into the Toyota transfer case? I pulled the part number on the DD extension cable (130011), and it is the exact same threads on both ends 7/8"-18 male and 7/8"-18 female. Am I missing something here?
D550-B644-13-FE-42-D9-BB98-23-AA14-D3-D6-FE.jpg

Or do I need to include the cable?
B214-BF24-8613-4-D58-AF7-A-948-DB9-A5258-D.jpg

I know this is an old discussion but this can be helpfull to someone in the future;

The 130011 is a 7" length of speedometer cable designed to fit between the Dakota Digital speed sensor SEN-01-128 and SEN-01-5 (supplied with all VFD, VHX, HDX and RTX kits) and your GM transmission. The 130011 GM cable is used when clearance is an issue between the transmission and speed sensor allowing you to relocate the sensor to clear most obstacles.

I know this is an old discussion but this can be helpfull to someone in the future;

The 130011 is a 7" length of speedometer cable designed to fit between the Dakota Digital speed sensor SEN-01-128 and SEN-01-5 (supplied with all VFD, VHX, HDX and RTX kits) and your GM transmission. The 130011 GM cable is used when clearance is an issue between the transmission and speed sensor allowing you to relocate the sensor to clear most obstacles.
I ended up needing the cable because the parking brake cable interfered with the alignment of the sender. Just enough to need the cable. You should be fine if you're not running the parking brake cable. I did have to cut about 1/4" off the cable. Everything is working great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom