Cylindrical Accumulator Replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Has anybody replaced the cylindrical accumulator part number 49147-60010 (front) on a LX570?

I own a 2011 with 200k on the clock. I replaced the ACH fluid and spherical accumulators on it to help with the harsh ride. It was improved, but still doesn’t feel like it should. I’ve read through the AHC threads and haven’t seen these accumulators mentioned many places. They seem to be more expensive, but I’m willing to spend the money if the ride will be improved.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if anyone has changed that part out. I would be highly surprised if you noticed any difference changing that out. For one thing, the diaphragm in that part is metal, so doesn't have the same issues as the "globes" which have a rubber diaphragm. Secondly, that part is only at play during periods when the suspension needs to stiffen up quickly, like hard braking and in corners.

I ordered a set from IMPEX JAPAN. The total cost should be less than $400 delivered. I’m willing to try replacing these before searching for 18s, especially considering there is limited information on replacement results.

I will report back with my findings.

Interesting.

I suspect it’s the bleed, but more data in AHC is always welcomed.

I have bled the system twice now. Once when I replaced the globes, and once again six months after. I suspected that this was the issue as well, but it failed to correct the ride.

I have also completed the same service (globes and a bleed) on two different LX470s with very positive results.

I am excited for the opportunity to contribute to the wealth of information available here.

Did you get around to installing the accumulator? I just received the 4 spherical ones from japan so wondering if I should just order the fifth one as well...

Did you get around to installing the accumulator? I just received the 4 spherical ones from japan so wondering if I should just order the fifth one as well...
The part the OP listed is the No 2 Accumulator. These are connected to the front actuators, so there are 2 of them. The "5th" accumulator is attached to the height control valve and is only in play when the truck is lifting. The 5th accumulator could never affect the drivability of the vehicle in motion, it would only affect how fast the pump can lift the vehicle during height changes. Also, I'm pretty sure it has a metal structure inside as well, so most likely would only fail from rust.

I replaced all four cylindrical accumulators. The job was just as easy as replacing the globes. I bled the system and have put a few hundred miles on the rig since replacing them.

I was attempting to smooth out some jitters that I experience on back roads. I live in a hilly area with a mix of low speed back roads, some gravel roads, intermediary roads, and lots of high speed interstate. The ride jitters were experienced mostly on windy back roads and gravel roads.

The accumulators that I just replaced seemed to make a difference on the gravel roads and any type of situation where the suspension uses lots of stroke quickly, think g-outs, one lane bridge crossings, transitions from gravel to pavement. My vehicle used to struggle in these situations with lots of body movement, noise, and harshness. The ride is not a night and day difference, but it is greatly improved in these situations.

I believe that I am chasing an issue that is a function of the 305/55r20 KO2s which are load range E. I will eventually swap the tundra wheels that I have on my 100 series on this rig to see if they correct the last little bit that I am looking for.

Overall, I am happy that I replaced these parts. I believe I spent around $450 to import the accumulators. The ride improvement, and satisfaction of my curiosity, was worth that amount of money. I hope this helps someone in the future.

So I'm a little confused here. The part you linked above is the Front No2 accumulator. That part only exists on the front left and right. There is another set of accumulators that are at all 4 corners, called "relief gas chambers" in the published AHC documentation. When I look at the front "relief gas chamber" at Partsouq, it appears it's called the "ACCUMULATOR SUB-ASSY, FRONT SUSPENSION CONTROL NO.1, RH/LH" Part # 49041-60030. This part is off by itself forward of the damping force actuator on the front and directly connected to the damping force actuator on the rear. The rear "relief gas chambers" are part # 49158-60010 (Called "ACCUMULATOR, REAR SUSPENSION CONTROL, NO.3, RH/LH" on Partsouq). The relief gas chambers and the No2 accumulators have very different functions and are charged differently.

It sounds like you replaced the No2 accumulators in the front and the relief gas chambers in the rear. Just trying to get the details ironed out before people start replacing these parts.

Both types of accumulators (relief gas and No2 chambers) are built the same, but the relief gas chambers are charged different front to rear and have much higher internal pressure than the high spring rate No2 accumulator. The front relief gas and No2 chambers have the same internal volume while the rear relief gas chamber is larger. The relief gas chambers seem to be there to protect the hydraulic lines, dampening big hits to the suspension to help from blowing out the lines. The high spring rate No2 chamber is always inline with the system. The way the AHC ecu "engages" the higher spring rate (during turns and hard braking) is it shuts a valve off disabling the No1 chamber making the No2 chamber (and relief gas chamber) the only devices controlling spring rate on the front end. As can be expected, 95% of the time, this valve is not activated and the No1 chamber is generating most of the spring rate for the front end.

From the AHC description (More detailed descriptions below):

No. 2 Gas Chamber (High spring rate): (Part # 49147-60010 FL/FR) Acts like a gas spring by partially utilizing coil spring force.
This is provided on the front wheels.

No. 2 Gas ChamberFrontRear
Sealed GasNitrogenn/a
Gas Chamber Volume (cc)120n/a
Sealed Gas Pressure (PSI)261n/a

Relief Gas Chamber: (Part #s 49041-60030 FL/FR, 49158-60010 RL/RR) Protects hydraulic systems by restricting increase in the
hydraulic pressure inside the hydraulic tubes.

Relief Gas ChamberFrontRear
Sealed GasNitrogenNitrogen
Gas Chamber Volume (cc)120150
Sealed Gas Pressure (PSI)19581450

No. 1 Gas Chamber (Low spring rate): (Part #s 49141-60020 FL/FR, 49151-60020 RL/RR) Acts like a gas spring by partially utilizing coil spring force.
This is provided on the front wheels.

No. 1 Gas ChamberFrontRear
Sealed GasNitrogenNitrogen
Gas Chamber Volume (cc)400400
Sealed Gas Pressure (PSI)328276

1606769108121-png.2511577

Detailed descriptions from the AHC documentation:
No. 1 Gas Chamber
  • The No. 1 gas chamber is provided for each of the wheels. This gas chamber is designed with a low compression rate utilizing a large-volume gas chamber.
  • The front No. 1 gas chamber is provided for the front suspension control valve assembly.
  • The rear No. 1 gas chamber is provided for the rear suspension control accumulator assembly.
  • The No. 1 gas chamber uses the bladder filter type hydro-pneumatic accumulator. A resin membrane is sandwiched between rubber layers to realize excellent gas penetration resistance.
  • The internal pressure of the gas chamber is varied by allowing the fluid to flow in and out of this gas chamber in order to raise or lower the vehicle height.

No. 2 Gas Chamber
  • A No. 2 gas chamber is provided for the front suspension control accumulator assembly. This gas chamber is designed with a high compression rate utilizing a small-volume gas chamber.
  • The No. 2 gas chamber uses a metallic bellows type hydro-pneumatic accumulator, to prevent gas leakage.
  • The internal pressure of the gas chamber is varied by allowing the fluid to flow in and out of this gas chamber in order to raise or lower the vehicle height.

Relief Gas Chamber
  • A relief gas chamber is provided for each of the wheels. This protects the hydraulic system by reducing increases in the fluid pressure inside the hydraulic tubes for the 4-wheel active height control suspension.
  • The front relief gas chamber is placed directly over the front hydraulic tubes.
  • The rear relief gas chamber is provided for the rear suspension control accumulator assembly.
  • The relief gas chamber uses a metallic bellows type hydro-pneumatic accumulator likewise with the No. 2 gas chamber.
  • The fluid inside the hydraulic tubes is allowed to flow into the relief gas chamber when the fluid pressure inside the hydraulic tubes exceeds the pressure of the nitrogen gas sealed in the relief gas chamber. Thus, fluid pressure increases inside the hydraulic tubes can be reduced.

Last edited:
The part numbers that I replaced are 49147-60010 and 49158-60010.

I may order up two of the 49041-60030 to see if there is any change in the ride with those parts. They are $86 each from Impex. I doubt they will make a difference, but I wouldn’t mind replacing last two 200k mile gas chambers.

Last edited:
I replaced the globes about 20k miles ago hoping to stop that jittery ride, and now on my third set of tires. No change. I might replace the rear track bar next.

I replaced the globes about 20k miles ago hoping to stop that jittery ride, and now on my third set of tires. No change. I might replace the rear track bar next.
Did you do a sensor lift?

Yes. The ride was the same before the sensor lift.

The part numbers that I replaced are 49147-60010 and 49158-60010.

I may order up two of the 49041-60030 to see if there is any change in the ride with those parts. They are $86 each from Impex. I doubt they will make a difference, but I wouldn’t mind replacing last two 200k mile gas chambers.
Have you ordered accumulators from IMPEX and received them? Their shipping policy seems a bit vague, but the parts prices look good.

Have you ordered accumulators from IMPEX and received them? Their shipping policy seems a bit vague, but the parts prices look good.
I have ordered from the three times so far. They are great.

You’ll have to order and pay for the parts, and then pay for shipping once they have the parts packaged and ready to send out (this usually takes a few days). Shipping is reasonable, and very quick to the East Coast.

I have ordered from the three times so far. They are great.

You’ll have to order and pay for the parts, and then pay for shipping once they have the parts packaged and ready to send out (this usually takes a few days). Shipping is reasonable, and very quick to the East Coast.
Thanks, I'm planning on ordering some AHC globes from them, and I saw this warning on their website:
1705698191359.png

I wasn't sure if they would ship AHC globes with "Gas filled shock absorbers" on the list.

Must be fake news. Or a technicality since these are “accumulators”.

FWIW I replaced the last set of original gas chambers with the part number 49041-60030. I haven’t driven the rig enough to tell if they made a difference, but my wife told me that noticed an improvement.

I am happy that I replaced all of these and I sincerely believe that my ride quality has improved.

Must be fake news. Or a technicality since these are “accumulators”.

FWIW I replaced the last set of original gas chambers with the part number 49041-60030. I haven’t driven the rig enough to tell if they made a difference, but my wife told me that noticed an improvement.

I am happy that I replaced all of these and I sincerely believe that my ride quality has improved.
How is the ride? Any updates ?

I noticed an improvement in the ride. It was not as prolific as I was hoping that it would be, but I am very happy with it.

I can’t point to any one chamber and say that it made a huge difference on its own, but replacing all of them did bring it up to par with my LX470.

To add a little context… when I initially test drove this particular 570 (200k miles) was disappointed with how it rode compared to my 470 (300k miles with fresh accumulators). I suspected the accumulators were bad and replaced the spherical ones with new OEM. I didn’t experience as much improvement as I had hoped. I replaced factory size Bridgestones with 305/55r20 KO2s which didn’t help or hurt the ride too much other than adding a bit of noise and tracking. After a year of ownership I replaced the rest of the gas chambers per this thread and experienced just enough improvement to make me feel good about doing it.

I am no longer disappointed in the 570 when switching back and forth between it and the 470.

YMMV but I hope this helps others find the improvement they are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom