Cummins swap time! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Best swap ever. 10/10 will do again. Drives like it was meant to be!

I am greatly adhering to the Chrysler anti rust program, she's leaking real good. All my parts came in so ideally this upcoming weekend I'll tackle the areas that need attention.

Filled my shifter with sand to get rid of some of the noise transfer. SO MUCH BETTER. Still a little noisy but not nearly as bad. I can almost think when I drive now lol.

I fixed the brake pedal, it feels much much better. I ended up remaking the little spacer as it was about 3mm too long - keep in mind it wasn't required for the hydroboost, I just wanted my clutch and brake pedal to be on an equal plane.

I also mounted my hi-lift jack and began searching for a spot for my air tank. It's bigger than I thought, but i think I can get it to fit on the outside of the frame behind the rear passenger wheel well.

I then turned my attention to my grille! It has been flat black since I got it, and was painted poorly. I'm not a fan of chrome, so I went for gloss black. My fiancee suggested Toyota be white, and turbo be red, so I gave it a go! I like it.

IMG20220630165633.jpg
IMG20220707180801.jpg
IMG20220707090220.jpg
IMG20220707115206.jpg

Last edited:
If your spare isn’t under the truck that’s a good spot for tank. Plenty of threaded holes along the frame to make a mount.

If your spare isn’t under the truck that’s a good spot for tank. Plenty of threaded holes along the frame to make a mount.

It's not, but I'm hoping to put a sub tank there so I'm trying to save that space for now. Back before the 1hdt went belly up I was speaking with a local company about bringing the rig to them and installing one.

Did a little wire management, and then I mounted my air compressor. I'm running out of room! I thought about in the cabin in the rear quarter panel, but I think that's going to be a sub and amp spot. I made a simple bracket out of junk metal I had laying around. It's not the prettiest but you can't see it, so it's perfect. I welded the bracket to the bottom of the compressor mount so I can use the 8 threadserts on it for other things, lol.

This weekend I'll finish wiring the in cabin stuff, mount my tank and at the very least mount my air horn. I should have enough stuff to do a front and rear quick disconnect for filling tires but we'll see how far I get.

I think I might make another bracket under this for a positive battery terminal block so I can get rid of the excess stuff on the battery. Would much rather have one cable on it and tee off from somewhere else.

IMG20220723134027.jpg
IMG20220723134612.jpg
IMG20220723135950.jpg
IMG20220723152255.jpg

Did a little wire management, and then I mounted my air compressor. I'm running out of room! I thought about in the cabin in the rear quarter panel, but I think that's going to be a sub and amp spot. I made a simple bracket out of junk metal I had laying around. It's not the prettiest but you can't see it, so it's perfect. I welded the bracket to the bottom of the compressor mount so I can use the 8 threadserts on it for other things, lol.

This weekend I'll finish wiring the in cabin stuff, mount my tank and at the very least mount my air horn. I should have enough stuff to do a front and rear quick disconnect for filling tires but we'll see how far I get.

I think I might make another bracket under this for a positive battery terminal block so I can get rid of the excess stuff on the battery. Would much rather have one cable on it and tee off from somewhere else.

View attachment 3067509View attachment 3067510View attachment 3067511View attachment 3067512
Good job! I know you your ready to give that cummins a workout.

Thanks!

I'm excited, I ordered a rear bumper and sliders from Delta the other week, can't wait for them to get finished and delivered - or maybe I'll pick them up since it's not a super terrible drive from portland to idaho.....

in a few weeks we're starting a 6bt swap on my friends LHD cruiser, so I wont be able to do my tappet cover gasket or turbo drain line for a few. I could probably get it done before but I don't want to rush anything. I may make another thread on his cruiser since he's not a member here. would be fun to document his and have a comparison list of the differences.

hooked up my air horn. I forgot how loud it is! maybe i'll take a recording of it lol.

Thanks!

I'm excited, I ordered a rear bumper and sliders from Delta the other week, can't wait for them to get finished and delivered - or maybe I'll pick them up since it's not a super terrible drive from portland to idaho.....

in a few weeks we're starting a 6bt swap on my friends LHD cruiser, so I wont be able to do my tappet cover gasket or turbo drain line for a few. I could probably get it done before but I don't want to rush anything. I may make another thread on his cruiser since he's not a member here. would be fun to document his and have a comparison list of the differences.

hooked up my air horn. I forgot how loud it is! maybe i'll take a recording of it lol.
I’m de-pinning my harness right now and documenting everything. I’ll post some information on that. All mine needs is a downpipe on the turbo and some brake fluid and I should be able to take it for a spin.

Been busy working on Austins swap, which some of you may have seen on youtube! I will start a thread on his soon.

Not only have I not fixed my oil leaks, but a new one surfaced! The rear main decided it wants attention as well. Oh joy. Seals really do not like to sit for 2+ years without running.

I did fix my coolant leak, though, so there's that. I also finally fixed my fuel solenoid. It would stay on if raised by hand but the kick circuit failed. When I replaced it, I ran an entire new circuit to my secondary fuse / relay box I installed so now the solenoid is totally separate from any other system. I'll snag some photos but it's just boring wiring. winter time is going to be interesting, I have an 11 miles commute and even after warming it up for a few minutes, I don't see temps over 140 degrees in the morning. Guess I'll be using the block heater!

Still haven't fixed my oil leaks because of course I haven't, at least I know there's oil in there. even with using the block heater overnight I'm seeing highs of 140 degrees with averages of 120. which is fine, because that at least gives me warm air and a working defrost. 5th gear on my NV4500 whines a little, but it's not bad. if my other car didn't decide to plug it's heater core I'd have taken the cruiser down to fix the leaks. But getting parts for RHD cars is slow so I'll just driver the cruiser as is until I get the heater fixed in the Gloria.

I put about 1000 lbs in the back of the cruiser the other day, and oh man it rides so much nicer. I left about 300 in there and I'm glad that's about the weight of the delta bumper because it needs it. Will probably just leave the bags of wood pellets back there until the bumper and sliders arrive to keep it a little heavier. The heavy Dobinsons springs are a bit overkill. guess i'll just carry both spare tires at all times to help keep it smoother riding. Got rid of the stinkbug look too lol. Someday I'll get around to a sub tank and that'll fix the problem indefinetly.

Austin's cruiser started for the first time the other night, so we're both excited for that. we had a small mishap and it spewed about a half gallon of oil everywhere so we got held up for a day or two getting that taken care of. now we can get to putting all the little odds and ends back on it, slap the transfer case in, and it might be close to driving!

Taking a look at your intercooler piping , does it not hit the tire at full tuck/turn? I like that setup because that looks like it will work with my 4BT, what intercooler is it ? Where did you bolt it in front of the trans cooler ?
Looks similar to this Intercooler Piping BOV Kit For Land Cruiser J80 1FZ-FE Fits ARB Bumper - https://www.cxracing.com/KIT-1FZFE-LC80-OFFR-IC

It's a generic intercooler from Amazon or eBay.
Nope, I've got tons of clearance, even at full lock it's nowhere near the piping. I don't have a trans cooler due to being a manual. I thought about the CX kit but I didn't like the idea of buying a kit just to scrap half of it.

It's a generic intercooler from Amazon or eBay.
Nope, I've got tons of clearance, even at full lock it's nowhere near the piping. I don't have a trans cooler due to being a manual. I thought about the CX kit but I didn't like the idea of buying a kit just to scrap half of it.
Oh I see , yea that’s what I’m leaning towards since my trans cooler would be in the way , anymore pics of it ?

relatively problem free for the past 2 years, still haven't done my exhaust but that's partially because I was waiting to get my sliders in. Got them and my bumper on, but had to cut the exhaust even shorter. it dumps out under the drivers seat LOL. I ordered a built HE351 to replace the hx35w and I also got my hands on a steering box without the stupid auto adjusting solenoid so I can mount my turbo back up high where it belongs, I hope. Probably going to run into fitment issues with the clutch master being too close but I'll address that when it happens. So now I'll somehow fit a 4" exhaust under the pig. After that, dyno time.

Done a few other swaps since then as well, and currently working on another! I'll take photos of various aspects for LHD gassers so ya'll can get some ideas of what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom