Builds Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The last word i gots from Cummins (April of this year) via e-mail.

"On Thu, Apr 5, 2018, 18:47 Jeremy E Taylor <jeremy.e.taylor@cummins.com> wrote:
Good evening Frank,

Thanks for your interest in the Cummins R2.8 crate engine. While we do have customers in California who have installed this engine, the Cummins R2.8 does not yet have a CARB E.O. number and I am not familiar with how such installations were qualified per CA DMV. Unfortunately, I can make no promises if or when an E.O. might be granted. Sorry to deliver this news.

Should you have any further questions, feel free to contact us at 1-800-Cummins."

California always has to throw a wet blanket on the party...

not meaning to turn this thread political....but yeah - it can seem kinda heavy handed at times.

I've lived in Oregon since I was 3 years old...but I was born in the San Bernardino area...so for the 1st 10 years of my life we road tripped back to southern california every summer for family visits. the air in Los Angeles used to be soooo bad...it's gotten a lot better due to some good regs.

i would rather raise my kids in this air:
upload_2018-9-6_7-37-43.png

vs. this.
upload_2018-9-6_7-34-3.png

sometimes regulations are a good thing.

Agreed regs are sometimes a good thing and LA/Cali needs them.

However, when ones that are rightly aimed at industry (car manufacturers, trucking, buses etc.) impact a small number of enthusiasts when there are much bigger fish to fry (example: shipping) it's annoying.

Last edited:
Agreed...but like most of us Cruiser and classic car enthusiasts, we only put a few thousand miles on our rigs a year, yet have to live under such draconian measures. This is why I moved my 60 to Wyoming from Ca. My wife's Lexus and my 200 have no trouble passing emissions. Every time I see a thread regarding a cruiser brother in Ca. having trouble passing the CARB Nazi police, I feel his pain.

Agreed...but like most of us Cruiser and classic car enthusiasts, we only put a few thousand miles on our rigs a year, yet have to live under such draconian measures. This is why I moved my 60 to Wyoming from Ca. My wife's Lexus and my 200 have no trouble passing emissions. Every time I see a thread regarding a cruiser brother in Ca. having trouble passing the CARB Nazi police, I feel his pain.
Soon it’ll be illegal to exhale in Kalifornia! Let alone break wind. The Sierras should be their own state.

not meaning to turn this thread political....but yeah - it can seem kinda heavy handed at times.

I've lived in Oregon since I was 3 years old...but I was born in the San Bernardino area...so for the 1st 10 years of my life we road tripped back to southern california every summer for family visits. the air in Los Angeles used to be soooo bad...it's gotten a lot better due to some good regs.

View attachment 1783191
vs. this.
View attachment 1783190
sometimes regulations are a good thing.

I am not an anti-regulation guy but some just do not make sense. I cannot believe a newer engine that is more fuel efficient and cleaner doesn't make sense over a 30 year old gas guzzler. Some regs just seem arbitrary and when in the hands of the wrong petty bureaucrats can be applied with capricious abandon. That seems to be the norm in CA . To me a small fuel efficient diesel is a no brainer if CA can't get it done then there is something wrong with the reg. not the engine

Last edited:
Agreed regs are sometimes a good thing and LA/Cali needs them.

However, when ones that are rightly aimed at industry (car manufacturers, trucking, buses etc.) impact a small number of enthusiasts when there are much bigger fish to fry (example: shipping) it's annoying.

This is the thing that rustles my jimmies. Oregon DEQ exempts diesel vehicles over 8,500 lbs gross, which is all heavy trucks, and prefers a non-regulatory approach to industrial. Compared to shipping, trucking, and industrial pollutants the contribution from a handful of nuts who want to drive their old Toyotas is minuscule— but nope, you have to smog or register as Special Purpose.

I think the fact that after 5 years a vehicle in Ca has to be smog checked is nothing but a F-ing shakedown for more $$$. My Wife's Lexus IS250 has an ultra low emissions engine in it, you know it's good for God knows how many years.

I have a 85 FJ60 which is now a HZJ60. NO SMOG and Calif legal registration! So CA not all that bad. Any Pre 97 vehicle can be legally converted to diesel, and is smog exempt. If you don't believe me, talk to @orangefj45, who did my conversion a couple of years ago.

View attachment 1783191
vs. this.
View attachment 1783190

First off, I absolutely agree, but your choice of Seattle for that first picture is pretty funny to me for a couple of reasons.

1.) It's looked more like that picture of LA here for half the summer because of wildfires (but that obviously doesn't have anything to do with diesel swaps).

2.) King County (where Seattle is located) doesn't have emissions tests for anything over 25 years old (or any emissions tests at all if you're in the unincorporated part of the county like I am), or any sort of vehicle inspections. It's basically anarchy as far as vehicle mods go, so long as it isn't outwardly, egregiously obvious and horrible enough to get you pulled over. A lot of old cars that smoke around here.

Not that all that Kalifornia talk ain't fascinating, but how bout we talk about putting a Cummins R2.8 into a 60 series?

Any experience with the new tune that Cummins just released? The blurry photo appears to put all of the new torque above the existing curve, so there shouldn't be any tradeoff in another part of the rpm band. Looks like free govt. cheese!

Has anyone got it installed yet?

#Torfab This is such an awesome build! Do you have any more videos of it? Maybe an acceleration video or take off when you're hammering it?
With the R2.8, do you think the stock drivetrain of the 60 would work (4spd and 3.7's) or does the motor need the overdrive and 4.11's?

Hmmmmm,

I would be curious to find out how the little 2.8 would perform in my fj80. How much etc
Mine is a 92. It has a nice 350 in it now and I have been considering updating the power plant to the LS platform . I am very curious about the performance of the new oil burner. If not my 80 series then maybe my old school 4runner.

Borrego, check out cumminsrepower on instagram, day 3. There are some videos of my truck in there while cruising over the pass. You should be able to use the stock transmission, because the rev range is similar to an FJ60, but you owe it to yourself to consider other options.

I'd consider swapping from a 350 to this engine, you won't be disappointed. I have way more power in this than most 350 conversions, it's just at a different RPM. My engine puts out more torque to the wheels than an LS3 does, and I still average 20 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom