Builds Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let me know if you need an R&D mule for 40 series swap, round 2.0.

The Troopy's 3B is losing some steam (and Rotella).

Someone get the 2.8 installed so the QC’ing can be done to get this kit released!!!
I'm all aboard for a Gofundme. Seems like it would really benefit the community.

Did this ever happen @torfab ? I have my R2.8 sitting in the workshop and picking up frame and tub from Aqualu next week. You are certainly welcome to come to Prince George and use me as a guinea pig ;) can maybe do some sheep hunting or something?

We actually do have a kit designed, but are waiting to do a second FJ40 so we can fine tune the parts. We sent out a few kits, but the installers weren't using them right so we stopped.

I have a couple of questions about your install. Beautiful rig by the way.
Did you keep the stock Tach? Did you use something like the Dakota Digital converter if you did?
I believe the FJ62 has 3 pulses per rotation and the output of the R2.8 is either 12 or 2 now.

Next set of questions :) You tune that is getting the power - 414lb/ft torque, did you change any equipment or tune only?

Thanks!

The cummins now outputs 2 pulses, but a dakota digital adapter is necessary to make the stock tach work. Currently I have installed a set of speedhut gauges though and they don't need the tach adapter any more.

The power is tune only, but we built it with 3" mandrel exhaust and larger intercooler. I'm running 32psi of boost

Do you have a post on the speedhut gauges? I think I have seen the cluster in a 60 but not a 62.
I would be interested to see pics of the exhaust routing, I haven't done exhaust yet but routing it avoiding the front drive shaft and shackle looks challenging.

I just got a Tiny Tach that clamps on one of the fuel injector lines. Simple setup. Left me room in the Speedhut Dash cluster to have Speedometer/ Fuel combo, volts/ water temp/ oil pressure/ boost cluster and a EGT gauge.
3BDA8A5A-A981-42A0-8628-31A4FF39284E.jpeg

068583A5-3FB7-4208-98E1-C06517469B6E.jpeg

169D8277-F225-481A-8AE1-CD5C5781B8BB.jpeg

For those of you highly enterprising souls, The marine Corps M1161 growlers are starting to show up on auctions. they have a 4cyl 12 valve 2.8 turbo Diesel:
2.8 Liter In-line 4-cylinder SOHC 12-valve turbo-diesel (Navistar Defense)
132 bhp @ 3,600 rpm / 230 ft lbs torque @ 2,000 rpm
It looks like the base performance numbers are lower, but occurring at a lower rpm range. A curious item on the Wiki page was what the cost per unit of these vehicles was. Good Grief!

I saw the @torfab vehicle in person at our Cruiserheads Christmas party. very clean and tidy install. Hopefully I can get to a meeting and hear the thing run soon.
Getting more range out of an 80(or any) series is definitely an attractive thing.

For those of you highly enterprising souls, The marine Corps M1161 growlers are starting to show up on auctions. they have a 4cyl 12 valve 2.8 turbo Diesel:
2.8 Liter In-line 4-cylinder SOHC 12-valve turbo-diesel (Navistar Defense)
132 bhp @ 3,600 rpm / 230 ft lbs torque @ 2,000 rpm
It looks like the base performance numbers are lower, but occurring at a lower rpm range. A curious item on the Wiki page was what the cost per unit of these vehicles was. Good Grief!

I saw the @torfab vehicle in person at our Cruiserheads Christmas party. very clean and tidy install. Hopefully I can get to a meeting and hear the thing run soon.
Getting more range out of an 80(or any) series is definitely an attractive thing.

$209k for the scout. $1MM for the mortar. Someone made some money

$209k for the scout. $1MM for the mortar. Someone made some money
Much cheaper if you buy direct from ISIS and they use Toyotas.

I wonder what the line item costs will be for the upgraded Polaris style things they're switching to?

Does anyone know how much (if any) oil is needed for the Cummins AC compressor PN: 5295582. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find anything on it. It didn't come with any instructions or anything, but the guys that sold it to me said "they're pretty sure" it doesn't come filled with oil...

Open shrader caps, drain oil. Measure volume. Check oil requirements for compressor that you have. Adjust drained volume to that. Add additional oil for the remaining AC components based on your truck. fSM states usually specify total system oil requirements.

I can't find the oil requirements for that compressor anywhere... does anyone have this compressor installed (PN: 5295582)? Did you add oil?

I'm running the Vintage air AC kit (except for the compressor of course)

What's fSM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom