cult45's 45 recovery and remobilisation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thinking about the cut-and-shut again..

What if I built a steel jig that included a brace across the centre where the cut will be and bolted the roof to it so that it literally can't move? Then stitch welded it over the course of an entire day? Still no bueno?

Don’t know if it’s common knowledge but these roofs are welded from several pieces, a center pressed piece and four or so formed outside pieces (not including the gutter). I didn’t know this until I started into my roof repair. You can see the factory welds on these pics (Zoom in). While these welds are toward the edge they are none the less nearly the length and width of the roof. So it can be done, but how is the question without warping. My fixes were near the edges or curved pieces so the warping was not (as) prevalent, but my roof overall is less than pristine so a little wonkiness here and there is right at home 😆.
IMG_2581.JPG
IMG_2584.JPG

Middlecalf,

Interesting about the roof--hadn't noticed that. Odd that they could press-form the hood with multiple corners and curves--although the earliest were two-piece joined affairs--and certainly the later hoods were a giant pressing. I wonder about the stresses this either adds or subtracts from the entire roof--the hood can flex while the roof is solidly anchored. And of course the questions about the gauge of steel on the roofs vs that on the hoods.

Thanks everyone for your input. I just learned that a mate's retired Dad is an old school panel repair guy, so I will likely just send it to him.

Ruff ruff.

Dan!!! So good to get another post from you. Sounds beautiful.
Also checked out your video published last September... complete mood in that one!

Video no workie Dan.

Sounds good on YouTube link!

Dan!!! So good to get another post from you. Sounds beautiful.
Also checked out your video published last September... complete mood in that one!

You're not dancing.. WTF!

Sounds awesome, well done
Thanks fellas. Spent the last four months licence free and with the burning desire for fuel injection. Picked up a good running Holden 5.0L V8 extremely cheap [including standalone ECU so it runs of my OE 1970 ignition barrel] and due to the same architecture as the previous block it bolted straight in. And by bolted straight in I mean the block did. Everything else needed custom work. Sigh. But it runs! Zips up to redline real quick. Sounds great! Never had a high hp engine before, kinda can't wait. Kids these days will laugh at 225 hp/285 lb-ft but for me it should be plenty. Certainly in a 45 it should be enough.

Engine bay back to bare, fill extraneous holes. Paint.
Reweld engine mounts.
Relocate 60 series power steering box.
Paint front chassis rails.
Re-route brake hard lines to accommodate headers.
Replace rear main seal.
Solder oil pickup.
Replace external engine seals/gaskets.
Replace welch plugs.
Replace cam plug.
Clean, paint block and detail.
Modify extractors from Nissan Patrol style.
Clean and retape engine harness.
Weld in new 02 bung.
Skim flywheel.
New clutch master and slave.
Service injectors with new filters and o-rings.
New handmade leads, new dizzy/coil/ignition module.
Fabricate FZJ105 tank bracketry to act as main tank.
Handmade EFI tank top assembly to suit FZJ105 tank (fuel pump, supply line, return line, transfer line from aux tank, gauge sender).
Plumb and wire 90 series Prado tank as aux tank to feed main tank when needed.
New Walbro 255 pump in main tank.
New EFI rated fuel lines.
New EFI fuel filter.
Rewire engine bay.
Partial rewire under dash.
Custom wiring platform to hold midi fuses and relays.
Modify Holden power steer pump bracket to clear exhaust.
Modify left hand guard to accommodate alternator reg
Fabricate new tank fill point with overflow/vent.
Route tank breathers.
Repair rusted/crooked tray members [basically rebuild entire tray]
Fabricate dual battery trays.
Fabricate undertray toolbox with vintage timber door to match style.
New round tray headbar/steps to replace box headbar/no steps.
Repair rusted front bonnet corners. Paint match.
Fill excess bonnet holes. Paint match.
Seam seal left cowl.
Square up crooked cab by 2".
Install lap sash retractable belts.
Extra earth straps for engine.
Sound deaden underfloor.
Install OE washer bottle and radiator overflow.
Install windscreen washers.
Remade steering column assy. with John Deere bearings and circlips.
F250 shock towers to accommodate 60 series steering box.

Been a big four months.

The Holden EFI 5.0L is a bit of a legend down here. All iron, simple EFI, very torquey, sounds great. 12784563 firing order. It was destroked from the previous 308 cui down to 304 to meet homologation regulations for our Touring Car Championships which went to an under 5.0L capacity at the time - but was upgraded to EFI. It was offered in Holdens from 1989 - 1997 when the LS was brought in to replace it. Yes, the LS is more modern. Yes it has more hp. Yes it has less torque [stock]. Yes parts are readily available. No its not Australian!

Over the last year the truck has also had:

FJ62 H55F install with vac transfer delete to manual transfer.
Handbrake rear axle style from HJ60/HZJ79 parts.
80 series booster/master upgrade.
HJ47 pedal box.
Reroute clutch hardline to driver's side.
Bilsteins and OME's.
Warn 8000lb winch in custom cradle [donated by a mate].

What's left [in long, slow, steady stages now]:

Engineering [down here all car mods have to be passed by a certified, accredited engineer].
New fibreglass roof.
Handmade roof console.
One of those smart gauge computer things to tell you vital stats that hangs off the roof console out of sight.
Mechanical only refurb gauge cluster.
80 channel UHF - also up high out of sight.
Stereo!
Rear e-locker.
75 series parabolic front springs [convert to big eye hardware].
Hard wire winch into cab.
Make vintage timber door for dual battery tray.
Dual battery kit.
Subtle light bars front and rear.
Headlight upgrade.
Integrated HVAC.
Heated seats.
Get rid of those godawful taillights for something more period correct.
Undertray slide for something. Perhaps a rifle.
Rewire front to back.
Intermittent wipers somehow.
More Dynamat.

Then one day, maybe one day.. I'll actually use it instead of working on it.

No Licence hey? Bet that was an interesting conversation with the boss given your line of work.

Its come a long way from the old farm ute you started with. I'll see if I can find the part numbers for the bushes that went in the 55 for the parabolics.

Last edited:
Thanks @sneaky, how's the 55 going? Gott make the most of winter mate!

You’ve been busy mate! She looks good and sounds great!

Any updates on the release date for your film?

You’ve been busy mate! She looks good and sounds great!

Any updates on the release date for your film?
Thanks mate. Tbh I’d spent so many years pouring time and money into my film that I’d just had enough and needed to do something totally different for a few months. Also the old engine was pretty tired and to potential 40 series buyers, very undesirable. I need an investor to finish the film ($50k+) so with the new (to me) engine/trans if that investment doesn’t come then I can sell the 45. I got a cracking deal on this engine, sold the old engine for very good money and had collected all the parts for years so I’m into these latest upgrades for bugger all. Mostly labour.

As for The Pitch, I have to do a little more shooting to help shape the narrative, then she goes into post production. I have an investor in mind who I’m approaching in a couple of weeks but if that doesn’t pan out then I’ll need to rethink things. I just don’t have $50k in spare change 😆

How’s things with you? How’s the fleet, the ‘56 Chevy truck going good?

Man I hate to even think about you having to sell the 45. But a fella has to do, that which needs to be done sometimes. We are all good here. Working too much. I have not been working on the GMC lately. I have been pouring all of my efforts into finishing the shop. If I don’t finish it now, I probably never will and it needs to be done. The thread for my shop is in my signature line, if you have not already found it. The 68’ is my shop truck now. I have been thinking about dropping an LS motor in it. But that too will have to wait until the shop is complete. I hope to drive Samson out to the Solid Axle Summit in August.

Depends on your taste but an LS is a wise choice, pragmatcally speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom