cult45's 45 recovery and remobilisation

Thinking about the cut-and-shut again..

What if I built a steel jig that included a brace across the centre where the cut will be and bolted the roof to it so that it literally can't move? Then stitch welded it over the course of an entire day? Still no bueno?

middlecalf

SILVER Star

Don’t know if it’s common knowledge but these roofs are welded from several pieces, a center pressed piece and four or so formed outside pieces (not including the gutter). I didn’t know this until I started into my roof repair. You can see the factory welds on these pics (Zoom in). While these welds are toward the edge they are none the less nearly the length and width of the roof. So it can be done, but how is the question without warping. My fixes were near the edges or curved pieces so the warping was not (as) prevalent, but my roof overall is less than pristine so a little wonkiness here and there is right at home 😆.
IMG_2581.JPG
IMG_2584.JPG

Bear

SILVER Star

Middlecalf,

Interesting about the roof--hadn't noticed that. Odd that they could press-form the hood with multiple corners and curves--although the earliest were two-piece joined affairs--and certainly the later hoods were a giant pressing. I wonder about the stresses this either adds or subtracts from the entire roof--the hood can flex while the roof is solidly anchored. And of course the questions about the gauge of steel on the roofs vs that on the hoods.

Top Bottom