cult45's 45 recovery and remobilisation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Montage 5.png
Montage 7.png
Montage 8.png
You Walkin Again.png
Montage 1.png

That movie star hair is killing me, Dan! Makes a baldy like me awfully envious.

Great pics!

Sorry to hear of your split (I missed your previous update). Hope your heart is healing up.

I freakin' love your updates with movie stills. Beautiful stuff.
Thanks mate, we're working hard to get this bad boy completed and to a lounge chair near you!! I hope things are well in your neck of the woods.

That movie star hair is killing me, Dan! Makes a baldy like me awfully envious.

Great pics!
Haha, it's all make up and lighting... ;) I hope you're staying safe and well during these crazy times mate.

Straya !
It´s the economy, stupid ......

Geh Kängurus zählen........:)
Geh nochmal in die Schule, Bub, dann unterhalten wir uns weiter, erkläre ich auch dir ökonomische Zusammenhänge.
Noch eine Bitte, lerne deutsch, dann habe ich es etwas einfacher mit erklären.
Ist doch wirkliich nicht zuviel verlangt von mir.
Straya !

"A larger market like the USA always gets more than a smaller one.
More inhabitants more demand !
I thought I had explained it to you.;)

"In terms of population it`s the fifth continent, Australia.
In 1967 11,899,693 million.......................................................... California alone have had more inhabitants than Australia in 1967.

Only that can be compared the %. "

Wealthier areas like Monaco ask more expensive car .
But the still have less Ferrari than Germany.
The density per square meter is important when you want to compare something . "

again for you :).... Straya,

Ich erkläre gerne Zusammenhänge ....
....über Autos, Reisen , Essen, Kunst, Ökonomie usw.,
aber ich lasse mich nicht beleidigen.

Was hast du zu dem Thema in 40er Forum beigetragen nichts, außer mich zu beleidigen!
Schon traurig, solche Leute in einem Forum.

Wenn du meine Beiträge aufmerksam liest, siehst du, dass ich nicht nur einen winzigen Satz zu einem Thema schreibe,
mit dem kaum jemand etwas anfangen kann, geschweige etwas lernen kann,
sondern, damit es klarer wird ,
hole ich weiter aus ,damit es jeder, wirklich jeder vestehen kann.
Auch mit Links, die dies, was ich schreibe, untermauern, auch damit Leute, die in diesem jeweiligen Thema "nicht drin sind"
die Möglichkeit haben Zusammenhänge zu vestehen.

Last edited:
I'd always wanted to repair the abomination of the inner rear passenger seat frame. Advantages working for a demo company: I used an old delivery trolley, sleeved it with a 1" bolt, then eight plug welds followed by fully welding the joint. Bit of a clean up with a flap disc followed by some of the black stuff. Also swapped out a busted engine isolator.

IMG_7012.jpg
IMG_7014.jpg
IMG_7013.jpg
IMG_7015.jpg
IMG_7011.jpg

That right there is why you need a good and tough fan shroud... Keep that engine where it belongs and let's you know when the mount let's go..

Time for an update/ask for advice.

I bought a pair of OE rocker covers for the V8 to try and negate a consistent oil leak, but a quick respray spiralled out of control. New gaskets throughout, paint, etc, etc. Found both headers were cracked so I replaced them - figured I'd paint the entire exhaust while I was there. Much, much cleaner inside and runs better to boot!

99127109_1108483622862671_22068989370826752_o.jpg

102444099_1122942724750094_8097516393779040299_n.jpg

102800824_1122942711416762_9015603682874060584_n.jpg

Painted the bumper a kind of a pewter. At $20/can it'll do.

101024806_1115852695459097_1348907283299434496_n.jpg

101262195_1115852802125753_7517888773275779072_n.jpg

Mr. Michael B. Blake decided to furnish me with a genuine indicator assy. and then refused to take payment. It arrived just recently! Thanks so much mate, beers on me next time! You really cain't underessimate the gen'rosity of an Alabamanian[?]. [sorry mate, hope I got the accent right!]

104121371_1128684697509230_3968633724195065245_o.jpg
103509727_1128684654175901_6690180384144342901_o.jpg
102658726_1128684750842558_999886441257982229_o.jpg
103125238_1128684660842567_3569848703121196393_o.jpg

At present I'm running everything but the rod and switchbox. It's LHD but is functioning just fine. So nice to have indicators function as they should! Thanks Michael!

Now for the advice. I scored an OE steel roof with the rust in the exact opposite place of my OE steel roof! The roof [pictured below] is cactus on the left rear corner [as per second pic] but the rest is mostly solid. So there's a cut-and-shut in my future. Thinking I'll fab up a steel jig and bolt the roof to it to prevent warpage. Then cut both sumb1tches in half and weld 'em together. Was thinking of doing a jigsaw cut [a sawtooth cut?] like the trailing edge of a B-2 Spirit to retain strength. I really wanna prevent any oilcanning. Anyone care to chime in?

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------

There's some other repairs required, but they're relatively minor compared to the cut-and-shut.

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

Cutting lengthwise or width wise? Original factory builds had long welds, but the sawtooth cut would help keep Maverick from detecting you - need to know kind of thing 😆. I prefer the least amount of welding to old thin metal cuz I suck at it.

Tricky now editing in the different colored bumper with previous cuts, eh?

At present I'm running everything but the rod and switchbox. It's LHD but is functioning just fine. So nice to have indicators function as they should! Thanks Michael!

Now for the advice. I scored an OE steel roof with the rust in the exact opposite place of my OE steel roof! The roof [pictured below] is cactus on the left rear corner [as per second pic] but the rest is mostly solid. So there's a cut-and-shut in my future. Thinking I'll fab up a steel jig and bolt the roof to it to prevent warpage. Then cut both sumb1tches in half and weld 'em together. Was thinking of doing a jigsaw cut [a sawtooth cut?] like the trailing edge of a B-2 Spirit to retain strength. I really wanna prevent any oilcanning. Anyone care to chime in?

View attachment 2356867

View attachment 2356868

-------------------------------------------------------------

There's some other repairs required, but they're relatively minor compared to the cut-and-shut.

View attachment 2356869

View attachment 2356870

View attachment 2356871
G'day Dan, a suggestion for the holes. Cut, grind or sand blast them out real well inside and out, cut a light gauge patch bigger than the hole, shape it and panel bond it to the inside (I used the 3M stuff). Feather the inside edges and fill the outside. No welding- no warping. I did this on my 77, worked well. I haven't put it in yet, but on the inside curve close to the edge I don't think it's going to show through the headliner. Not my idea, got it from a local restorer friend. Sorry, don't have any pics of the process and my roof is ready for colour, but I can take a couple of the inside if your interested. BTW, the rig is looking great!!

Last edited:
Definitely would not cut in half, that’s a lot of welding, heat, and warpage issues. Least invasive is your best bet( patch panels). Rig is looking great mate!

Cutting lengthwise or width wise? Original factory builds had long welds, but the sawtooth cut would help keep Maverick from detecting you - need to know kind of thing 😆. I prefer the least amount of welding to old thin metal cuz I suck at it.

Tricky now editing in the different colored bumper with previous cuts, eh?
I'll go out on a limb here and say that it's a wrap! Haha yeah Mav won't detect it but the real threat is the famed MiG-28! :D

G'day Dan, a suggestion for the holes. Cut, grind or sand blast them out real well inside and out, cut a light gauge patch bigger than the hole, shape it and panel bond it to the inside (I used the 3M stuff). Feather the inside edges and fill the outside. No welding- no warping. I did this on my 77, worked well. I haven't put it in yet, but on the inside curve close to the edge I don't think it's going to show through the headliner. Not my idea, got it from a local restorer friend. Sorry, don't have any pics of the process and my roof is ready for colour, but I can take a couple of the inside if your interested. BTW, the rig is looking great!!
Thanks for the suggestion mate, I'll bring it up with a panel beater friend!

Definitely would not cut in half, that’s a lot of welding, heat, and warpage issues. Least invasive is your best bet( patch panels). Rig is looking great mate!
Thanks whitey, I had feared as much. Will mull this over with a friend and see what he thinks. Hope you're safe and well over there mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom