Cryogenic Ring and Pinion Treatment (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moving to 5.29’s and have been reading up on cryotherapy to increase durability. The latest thread I could find on cryo treatment is from 2013. Seems it was used a lot in the mid-2000’s for the 40 series.

Thoughts on cryo treatment of R&P or other parts such as bearings and axles? It seems cryo doesn’t help much for 4340 front axles, but might be a good treatment for the stock rear axle. Anyone using cryo these days? Thoughts?

Here's a few pics of what got frozen on mine. It's been about 6yrs and knock on wood nothing broken. Just get it done, peace of mind.

Here's a few pics of what got frozen on mine. It's been about 6yrs and knock on wood nothing broken. Just get it done, peace of mind.
Thank you for sharing. This snippet of the article really
ringpinioncryospecific.jpg

Has anyone ever done a super finish on their gears? Because it seems that the main goal is eliminating contact fatigue and wear.

Like I said WPC and cryo. WPC is about as super as you can get.
Thanks @scottryana. I glazed right over the acronym WPC in your earlier post. The video demo is impressive. Where are you going to have the WPC done?

Last edited:
Thanks @scottryana. I glazed right over the acronym WPC in your earlier post. The video demo is impressive. Where are you going to have the WPC done?
I am pretty certain WPC can only be done by 1 place in the US.

I am pretty certain WPC can only be done by 1 place in the US.

Just talked to Izumi at WPC. Pricing is about $250 for the 9" ring and pinion set and $200 for the the 8".
Couldn't find anyone in the San Francisco area that knew what super finishing or WPC is.
Thanks Scott

Dropped off a set of Nitro 5.29’s and bearings for Cryo treatment at Garner Heat Treating in Oakland, CA.

Their price is $95 up to 50 pounds, which covers both gears and bearings. They use a dry treatment process that lasts about 3 days. They typically run Cryo once a week.

Other SF Bay Area shops charge as much as $350 plus $2 per pound. Pricey!!

Here are a few pics of the tank at Garner.

0728868F-D5BF-4D97-B079-354F5DE25581.jpeg

C1DF3055-84AA-4905-A7FF-B0369DF57D2A.jpeg

D06BFF24-9066-4561-B4D1-342EBCD462ED.jpeg

This past weekend I blew up my second set of ring and pinion in the front in less than 1 year. I am running 40s, rcv chomoly, 5.29 and no truss. I assume adding a truss will help. I keep burping grease into my front diff so I change the diff oil every big Offroad trip. Would a bent housing cause my ring and pinion to fail? I also assume I need to cryo my next set of 5.29s. I have had no issues with the rear.

This past weekend I blew up my second set of ring and pinion in the front in less than 1 year. I am running 40s, rcv chomoly, 5.29 and no truss. I assume adding a truss will help. I keep burping grease into my front diff so I change the diff oil every big Offroad trip. Would a bent housing cause my ring and pinion to fail? I also assume I need to cryo my next set of 5.29s. I have had no issues with the rear.
Your housing would have to be bent enough to cause extra bearing pressure and heat. Checking diff temperature with an infrared thermometer after driving would tell you right away. Even comparing temp by feeling the pumpkins after driving would give you a good indication.

Driving style could be a contributor. Are you spinning the tires often in rocky terrain? Using skinny pedal to get over obstacles or are you crawling? Pulling people off the trail or other repeated high load moments will cause failures too.

You’re right though. Blowing 2 sets of ring and pinions in a year is a sign something is wrong. Not sure cryotherapy will protect you from breakage until you find your gremlin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom