Cruisin Off Road Skid plate install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About six months ago I was preparing a write up of a rear bumper review from Cruisin Off Road. The bumper has dual swing outs with a tire carrier on the passenger side and a ladder/jerry can holder on the other. It is a very nice piece of work. Just as I was starting the write up I noticed that Jason had taken bumpers off his site. I e-mailed him and he confirmed that he was no longer making them. Reviewing our correspondence I realized that I had sent him over twenty messages with questions and special requests on the bumper build. My apologies for MUD members looking for a quality swingout bumper. I think I single handedly drove Jason out of the bumper business due the PIA factor with my order.

Nevertheless he accepted an order for sliders and skid plates. STOCK of Keystone Cruisers just did a very nice write up on the sliders. (My thanks, by the way, for the great picture of the tapered ends on these sliders. They look great and I was able to get Jason to include this detail on my build.) Since the sliders have been covered I thought I would add a quick note regarding the skid plates.

I ordered Jason’s Transmission and Transfer Case Skid Plate Package. The plates are laser cut from 3/16" thick steel and powder coated. The skid plate has drain holes and an access hole for the t-case oil drain plug for servicing. Mounting is via existing threaded holes in the frame. Fit and finish was flawless. The holes on both plates lined up perfectly. I installed the plates by myself with the help of a floor jack in about twenty minutes. Of course as a junior member of the MUD OCD support group I spent a couple of hours prior to the installation prepping the underside of the truck and cleaning out the bolt holes.

These plates are very heavy duty and no doubt a bit of overkill for a family camping truck. But sometimes overkill is just enough.
IMG_5366xxx.jpg
IMG_5367.JPG
IMG_5368.JPG
IMG_5369.JPG

Looks nice and stout

Look great!

This was my first armor purchase for my cruiser! I bought both skid plates as well and had the same results as you @amay3 simple install that requires a little more effort if installing by yourself. I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure I just crawled under the truck and held up the skid plates wth one hand and my legs while threading the bolts with my other...once I got a few bolts started it became a lot easier. definitely would recommend jack stands or the jack to assist in a solo-installation. Jason was awesome to work with!

Are these built tough enough for dragging over rocks? I want a set of skids before I tackle Dusy Ershim. I only ask, because I've bent 3/16" skids in the past.

Are these built tough enough for dragging over rocks? I want a set of skids before I tackle Dusy Ershim. I only ask, because I've bent 3/16" skids in the past.
So, according to their website, the transmission skid is 3/16", but they make the transfer case skid with 1/4". Makes sense to me, since the transfer case end would see more abuse.

I have had both of these skid plates for a couple years now. I special ordered the transmission skid plate in 1/4" thick because
the bottom side of my rig see's a lot of large rocks very close up. Matter of fact, I managed to bend the transfer skid plate up into the case. I was able to straighten it by placing one end on a curb, the other end on the street and then driving up it like a ramp. Viola, the bolt holes lined up again.

Is he still making these plates? The website is still up. I sent him an email.

The Sliders are still going strong. I just took delivery of his skid plates, same as @amay3 and plan installing in the next couple of weeks.

Jason of Cruisin Offroad did stop shipping some of his stuff, it had nothing to do with @amay3 asking questions but more that he is focusing on he main thing and business is good. He's a one man show.

His quality though continues to be great. I would not hesitate to order anything from him.

Good news then ... TY stock. Pushing hard to get back out to Rausch witht he Keystone guys asap.

I can't say about the skids yet, but his sliders are stout. He's a small operating and open to ideas, if you email him he will help. I'm sure he could even make it thicker for you.

Two trips through the Rubicon on mine...

I have had both of these skid plates for a couple years now. I special ordered the transmission skid plate in 1/4" thick because
the bottom side of my rig see's a lot of large rocks very close up. Matter of fact, I managed to bend the transfer skid plate up into the case. I was able to straighten it by placing one end on a curb, the other end on the street and then driving up it like a ramp. Viola, the bolt holes lined up again.
I have the same set - the 1/4" up grade and I bent my transfer case Skid right to the Case as will, replaced all the mangled Bolt when I hade it off to straighten it.

I have the same set - the 1/4" up grade and I bent my transfer case Skid right to the Case as will, replaced all the mangled Bolt when I hade it off to straighten it.
I bent mine as well but it did its job. I straightened it by laying it from curb to street and driving up it.

I prefer this type of skid plate for two reasons. First, the idea of my skid plate also being the tranny mount makes no sense to me and I could see it creating major inconveniences later. Second, the IPOR design is not only the tranny mount, it’s a cantilever. It is 3/8” think but I’m sure still bendable being it is a cantilever design. Have fun straightening out a 3/8 plate.

The cruisin off-road skid plate could be re-enforced at the rear termination point quite easily.

I recently purchased and had him install a set of his sliders. They are a fantastic product and I couldn’t think of a nicer person to do business with Unfortunately I missed out on one of his bumpers as he is no longer making them ☹️ I would highly recommend him for sliders and skid plates!
A1D26659-6341-479A-A0FA-AA334C0119C8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom